RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #1

Awning Mystery

Ok I know I am going to get slammed with this post, but this
Is exactly what happened. I’m just curious has anyone else experienced this.

I’m traveling on I-20 from El Paso towards Dallas my last stop
Was 2.5 hrs before the awning mystery happened.

I also want to clarify the awning I’m referring to is the small
Manual one over bedroom window. This is a 2018 Anthem 44F
I have never used the window awnings not once never pulled them
Out not even sure where the pole is you use to pull them down.

I driving along everything is just perfect wife and I are talking with some
Friends that came along. All of a sudden all HELL broke loose heard something banging looked out my right mirror all I could see was something flapping towards the rear.

Then what ever it was broke off and was gone, I found a place to pull over got out looked and saw some damage to paint. Then I realized there use to be an
Awning there. A pickup pulled up behind and yep he had my awning well what was left of it.

I cannot come up with an explanation how that awning pulled loose I guess and the wind got it.

The pickup behind me said he had been behind me quite awhile and didn’t notice
Anything flapping around all of a sudden it was there he said it broke off fast.

There is no damage before or after the awning if I had been around Roswell I would think aliens shooting us.

We all sit there for an hour trying to come up with what the heck happened.

Driven several thousands of miles never experienced this

Let me if you have any ideas

Thanks
Mac

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 03:05 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Manual window awnings have a wound spring inside which keeps the awning in. Possibly the spring broke/released. Easily ripped off its mounting points by traveling winds. My guess. If you have the tube see if you can take it apart or determine if the spring is still "wound".

My thoughts.
Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Hopefully it's still under warranty? Call Entegra. Things come loose on MH's fact of life that will probably never change. I have a massive air leak that developed sitting in a hanger all summer never moved. It's part of ownership.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
You were probably close enough to Roswell for an air strike . Glad it broke off without doing too much damage and that the pickup driver was just delivering your parts - he must have been very grateful it didn't land in the middle of his windshield.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

Check out anti billowing devices...
Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #6

But I think that the most relevant answer is Brian's hypothesis of the spring breaking or becoming unattached to the awning reel... If not held tightly to the side of the coach in its canister, it would blow off quickly. Bet you dont have the sleeve but if you do, that would be worth the time and effort to examine.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have an additional question. Where were the "friends that came along" sitting?

Does the Anthem have additional seating capacity with seat belts?
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #8

The answer to the question is yes..... There are at least one two seat couch and in many of the models, two different couches in the coach that could accommodate 2 to 5 additional people sitting in the living room. In our 19, we have 3 "theater seats" that could easily ride 3 people.

Now, on both our Anthem and Cornerstone, the units come equipped with seat belts for those positions. Since we virtually never are in a situation where we would travel with more than the two of us (since we can easily sleep only two of us), we have removed the seat belts. In our Anthem, we simply pushed them down under the "L" sofa and never dealt with them again or we removed them completely and stored them in our storage locker. Frankly, I don't remember as I type this whether these theater seats came with seat belts or not, but I think that they did, and again, we would have pushed them down and out of the way. And, just my guess, but I would guess that few passengers sitting in these seats would be tempted to use seat belts anyway.....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

Thanks, it looks like the spring came loose and the wind caught the awning good call, Brian.
However, it doesn't look like Entegra will warranty it. It only cost 400 bucks for the Awning plus and an additional 500 for some paintwork.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

Pretty sure Brian is exactly right, just can't prove it, oh well I will get it fixed.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I have an additional question. Where were the "friends that came along" sitting?

Does the Anthem have additional seating capacity with seat belts?

That would be a no, however, we do have 2 seater theater seat and a couch right behind the driver and passenger seat

One was sitting behind me on the couch and the other behind the passenger seat on the theater seat.

Pretty sure they did not have their seat belts on.

Tags
awning