Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Awnings and Wind

We spent a week in New Mexico, where the temps were 40 in the mornings, and 85 in the afternoon. The wind would begin blowing mid morning, and the wind sensor would retract our awning as it should.

My question is has anyone found a good way in securing the awning to the ground, or to the motor home. There were several motor homes in the resort that tied their awnings down, and left them, with gusts up to 34 mph (registered on my weather station I set up on my roof), without any damage. I have the Carefree awning on my 13 Aspire.

I would not leave my awning out while away from the MH, but would like it to stay out in 15 to 20 MPH winds, if secured where it does not "bounce". The wind was coming from the driver side as well, even with the coach somewhat blocking the wind, the auto retract would kick in several times a day.

Do you tie your's down?
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I haven't tied mine down as if yet, but I did turn off my wind sensor as I can get to the retract button before my sensor kicks in.

Just for me, I don't want to have to replace one of my awnings.

I know this is overly obvious but next time you see one of your CG neighbors with a tied down awning, possibly you could find an opportunity to ask them about it.

Best of Luck to You
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Community Administrator

If you do tie down, you have to turn off the sensor. At least I had to on my Dometic. Also there can be gusts that are capable of doing damage even when tied down.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
A long time ago there was a post from iquailhunter on a mod he made to his awnings. It included a shade that extended from the ground to the awning as well as being tied down. As I recall it rolled up with the shade.

My memory may not be correct, but that is what I recall - it was in the modifications thread
Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Here ya go.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/gira...en-192941.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
A long time ago there was a post from iquailhunter on a mod he made to his awnings. It included a shade that extended from the ground to the awning as well as being tied down. As I recall it rolled up with the shade.

My memory may not be correct, but that is what I recall - it was in the modifications thread

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #6

[/IMG]

J&J in Florida works great. Part of it stays in on your awning, you use S clips to attach.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

yes after tie down unplug the units u r ok at that point long as u secure the heck outta em
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I would never leave my awning down with 34 MPH winds. Too scary! Like others, we have a screen that attaches to our awning and I tie down our awning/screen with three tent stakes and short bungee cords. Very simalar to post # 6's picture. The bungee cords help stabilize the awning in moderate winds.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just to be clear, we are talking about the Girard awnings on the anthem and cornerstone correct?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We spent the winter in windy Rio Grande Valley. Guy across the street had the same as photo tied down., with extra side clamps all over. Watched him take it up in a big hurry two or three times.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #11

Oh missed the 30 plus mph wind im not sure you should do it.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:08 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
The Carefree Eclipse, like on the OP's Aspire, in our experience has been pretty resilient and is fairly strong due to the vertical support arms.

We did purchase a ShadePro Vista which is similar to the photo in post #6 but has a 2' permanently attached leader and another 6' section that attaches with a zipper. Easy to setup and take down.

Having said that we never have tied it down for an extended period because it's almost certain I would forget to turn off the wind sensor (which is very responsive on this unit) and a major mess would result.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for all your comments. I probably will not try to secure the main awning down. Most of the ones tied down that I saw had support arms that came out 90 degrees from the coach, and formed a "frame" which seemed to help supporting and securing the awning to the ground. (Like our window awnings) My care free has arms, and forms some fragile looking angles when extended, and I would prefer to not to cause more damage from it being tied down.

We had a small "whirlwind" come right through our park the last day there and my awning retracted just before our chairs flew out in the drive. If it is that windy, I probably will not be outside.

The window awnings held up well, and the shade they provide from the sun really helps keep the coach cooler when it warms up.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Where is the wind sensor on the 2015 Cornerstone?
CookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning