Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #15

Al
I had one of those on my Monaco and also on my sailboat with diesel auxillary. Both had a way to bleed off the water that would accumulate in the filter. I believe both were RACOR filters. They worked very well and gave you a quick and easy visual understanding of what your fuel has been like.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #16

Our Cummins ISC 380 (EPA10) had the sight bowl.

I agree with Gary about the benefit of being able to see the fuel.

One downside is it can sometime be difficult to separate the sight bowl and filter canister.

I used to carry a spare sight bowl, and filter. That way I could perform an emergency roadside swap in just a few minutes and be underway quickly.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
The Cornerstones have the RACOR with the sight glass. Good question if there is one available for the 450. Being a Marine filter, I would say it is probably available.

At every other fuel stop I check the fuel. There is normally a clear plastic water bottle in the trash. Our FS1065 fuel filter do have water drain valve on the bottom. Check the fuel before leaving on a trip after storage also. That is the most likely time to pick up condensation. Here Fl with our high humidity, I also store with fuel treatment with algaecide. So far no water in the Entegra's fuel.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I have been operating diesel pushers for nearly 14 years. Every year my coach sits unused for a couple of periods from 3-6 months at a time, mostly in South Florida which is very humid and therefore the most problematic. Never used an additive. I always park with a full tank and have never had an issue with fuel.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #19

My thoughts after 16 years and 300,000 miles in various diesel engines I have never had an issue with diesel fuel.

I always price shop for fuel and stop wherever is convenient and can fit us.
I rarely stop for fuel at major truck stations.
I never use any fuel treatments
I always keep my fuel tanks full.
I have never had any water in the water/fuel/debris clear plastic bowl to drain.

As for "mixing up the sludge at the bottom of the fueling station tank, just remember, the fuel is always being sucked from the bottom low point of the tank, and never the top. Sludge/water can't accumulate.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have been operating diesel pushers for nearly 14 years. Every year my coach sits unused for a couple of periods from 3-6 months at a time, mostly in South Florida which is very humid and therefore the most problematic. Never used an additive. I always park with a full tank and have never had an issue with fuel.
Marc, that works great, and I am thankful they built a fuel station 1/2 miles from my storage hanger. Back in the "old days" it was almost 15 miles after filling up to my storage location, which means I was storing 2 gallons low. Just enough that I needed additives our I would have condensation problems.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
As for "mixing up the sludge at the bottom of the fueling station tank, just remember, the fuel is always being sucked from the bottom low point of the tank, and never the top. Sludge/water can't accumulate.
That's one I and most mechanics will not agree on. If sludge is at the bottom the tank below the pickup line and it is stirred up to be picked up by the pickup line you can get contaminated fuel. Just heard the same thing on talk radio Sat morning on an auto maintenance show. They were talking about why most gas filters come into their shop plugged up on newer cars.

They also talked about if a pump is pumping slow not to fill at that pump. That is an indication that that pumps filters are full of dirt and to move to another pump. I tend to side with the experts in the field.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #22

I've been inside fuel tanks during their removal process. the pickup line is always resting directly on the bottom.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I've been inside fuel tanks during their removal process. the pickup line is always resting directly on the bottom.
Everybody has there own method of fueling their MH's. If it has worked for you for 300,000 miles, by all means keep doing it.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #24

I follow Brobox's advice on not fueling if they are loading tanks. I also am careful after downpours or large rains. I pass on any station which has standing water on the fills. Even though the large truck stations monitor the tanks things happen.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had a problem, two winters in a row, coming out of warm Southern California/Arizona into freezing weather in New Mexico/Texas. Check engine light with codes indicating low fuel flow/pressure, generator not wanting to run, Oasis flaming out. Two years ago, I caught it early enough and, on the advice of freightliner, I added anti gell to the fuel and it cleared up in a few miles. Last year, I wasn't so lucky ... we limped into Las Cruces, NM in freezing rain and sleet and had to call a mobile mechanic to do a filter change at the RV Park.

I am attaching a picture of the main fuel filter that was changed last year, in Las Cruces, NM. You can clearly see the fuel has turned to jelly. The mobile mechanic that did the filter change said he is seeing more and more of this as the fuel companies switch to higher concentrations of bio-diesel.

I religiously use an anti-gell additive now on each fill up during the cold months.
Attached Images

Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel