Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #85

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had the exact same issue with our Winnebago bought in 2004.

It was remedied at Freightliner (had a Freightliner Chassis) by adjusting the ride height.

They had to call the factory where the chassis was made to get instructions on what to do.

Fixed in 2004, was never an issue after.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #86

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Replace your front shocks with Koni

I had the same issue with my 2016 Entegra Anthem. Bumps were really jaring and we were gritting our teeth on some of them. After much research I had Koni shocks installed on the front and the problem went away. Spartan and the other chassis manufacturers install the suspension components the coach builder wants and most go with Bilstein. This isn't surprising as Bilstein makes good shocks. The Konis are a little more cushy compared to the firm Bilsteins, but they ride really well and bumps aren't a problem anymore. I ordered them online from Shock Warehouse for about $200 each and paid the Butler Tire commercial shop in Atlanta, where I was traveling to, $50 each to have them installed. RV shops in Cleveland wanted $750.
steve716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #87

Hello All, $800.00 for labor installing shocks is a pure rip off. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty. For two front shocks it should take under one hour. There is nothing to installing shocks. and there are a lot of instructional videos out there to give you advice. They are One bolt top and one bolt bottom. I have installed many and I am not a professional. As far as brand name. I have have great success with KYB gas adjust shocks on cars, SUV and our old 84 sports coach 34 ft. gasser. On the motorhome it made a huge difference on the top roll,bounce and sway in high winds and when semi's pass. They came recommended by a local suspension shop and I did not have to pay high prices for the name Bilstein or Koni.
geerhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #88

Clunk is fixed!

Buddy Gregg seems to have fixed the clunk on our 2018 Aspire by ultimately putting heavier shocks on the front. They checked all the frame bolts, were fine. No clunk after 5 hours of driving. Thanks Dave from Buddy Gregg in Knoxville!
Terribeck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #89

My apologies for not addressing this thread earlier We have also experienced severe porpoising and a very loud banging noise in our 2018 Aspire 44W.

We would get up to 4-5 good full extensions on the front shocks depending on the roadway. Not good or very safe. Additionally, we would experience a loud banging sound over bumps. Some would be at freeway speeds but several were at idle speed going over a campground speed bump. That was strange. However, the sound was always the same. Sounded like a gunshot.

WE made an appointment at Charlotte MI to address this and a few other issues along with our first oil/lube etc. They recommended replacing the front shocks with Koni's for a good chunk of change. Well, with a new coach that was clearly undershocked that did not sit well with me.

So, our appointment came and I had a long talk with the tech. great guy. The first thing was I was told I had the wrong shocks and new 46mm shocks would be installed by Spartan. One for me. Secondly they updated 'the steering idler pinch bolt to friction washer setup and retorqued the front suspension hardware'. Then we took another test drive. Sure enough, still making that loud banging noise. So, back to scratch our heads.

So a phone call later over to the plant/parts and it was recommended the following. Upper A arm bushings loading up on front suspension. Repair is I'll quote "Retorqued A-arm bolts and all were tight, ended up reshimming A-arm bushings on both sides putting new through bolts and lock nuts". This was a significant project that took 3-4 hours. The 'through bolts' were an inch thick and 8-10 inches long. Serious tools were required. Turns out there is a 'kit' for this that they sell. Luckily parts had two in stock. We test drove it and it popped once, but has not since then. W traveled MI to FL and back to CA, some 4,000 miles and not a bang ever.

To summarize, the driving of our coach changed dramatically. NO more loud banging and the porpoising has virtually disappeared. Cant get rid of it all, especially in CA. Additionally, it drive much more solid, less wandering, less wind interference. The change has been dramatic and now drives like I expected it to for a coach of this caliber. I am pleased beyonds words.

So, if Spartan or Entegra scratches their heads (as I have seen posted here) and say we have never heard of this, I'm calling BS. They know of at least one. That Spartan inspection in Charlotte MI is the best $125 I ever spent on a motorhome. I had 7 other small items repaired also, leaky radiator hose, leaky connection where the dipstick meets the oil pan, loose fan belt and coolant hoses were rubbing and rerouted.

So, thats my experience. And couldnt be more pleased with it. I hope this will help anyone with similar issues with information going forward.

Ken Sair

2018 Entegra Aspire 44W .
Ken Sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #90

Bump

We have a 15 Aspire & since was it was new it had a thumpng noise when we were on a rough road. At the Spartan factory the tech pulled out his hair trying to find it. He even had somone else drive while he laid on the floor. He finally tighten ever bolt & nut in the front & “Wahala” it quit.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 AM   #91

Entegra Owners Club
Ken. I had the same problem with my 14. Like you I still had the darting after two trips to Spartan and four front end shops. It was the Koni's that finally corrected the darting. It took me 2 years to finally listen to those on those forum that made the switch. It should have been the first thing I tried, but just couldn't imagine a new coach having bad shocks. I found out the hard way the 14's were under shocked with 46 mm the newer models have 60mm.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #92

No Bang so far

Thanks Ken for the info. Buddy Gregg both retorqued the A bolts and replaced our shocks with heavier ones (Spartan paid for it) in our 2018 Aspire. After an 8 hour trip that seems to have fixed the problem, no bang and handling is better. We head out in Feb for 6 weeks so time will tell. Thanks everyone for all the responses! Here’s to many smooth quiet miles 🤞
Terribeck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #93

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For those that fixed the front end banging by replacing the shocks, please use the PART NUMBER and your make and model of coach so the next owner with the same problem can sound educated when he talks to his mechanic.
Tobys96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #94

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys96 View Post
For those that fixed the front end banging by replacing the shocks, please use the PART NUMBER and your make and model of coach so the next owner with the same problem can sound educated when he talks to his mechanic.
It's all right here for every year and model, just have to look through the 12 pages of posts.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/koni...ng-297539.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #95

Entegra Owners Club
Just to circle back and complete the story for anyone still having problems, earlier this Summer we went to Spartan in Michigan to resolve the banging and porpoising issue. They performed a complete chassis inspection and all was within spec other than the ride height, and torque on the U-bolts. (Took two full turns to get to torque spec).

Without prompting, Spartan installed larger Bilstein shocks and adjusted the ride height. We haven't had a problem in 4000 miles, and have been over plenty of rough bridge junctions. Seems like its been the shocks all along.
zcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #96

Good to hear your happy with the repair provided by Spartan.

But I’ve got a question. How much bigger than 60mm shocks can you go? I’ve got a 2017 Anthem and it’s my understanding that Spartan started to install 60mm Bilstein shocks starting that year.

Did you have larger shocks install beyond 60mm??
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #97

Entegra Owners Club
In the middle of resolving the same issues with my 40 foot 2019 Mountain Aire. As is my inclination, I've been doing lots of studying.

Koni EVO shocks will help. They help compensate for problems with the suspension system that can be fixed without going to HWH and replacing everything. I'm adding those to my coach.

There are multiple problems:
1. Failures to properly set ride height. Accuracy is critical. The measurement points are hard to identify when under the coach. A tech with a tape measure will get it wrong. He needs measurement jigs. It takes multiple iterations of setting the height, dumping the air, weighing, airing up and checking again. Ride height must be set while the coach is on a a flat surface. An alignment rack, not a concrete floor someone thinks is flat. Weighing must happen after the air is dumped.

2. Adequate suspension air pressure; 135 to 145 psi. Air pressure is used in the Hadley system in an attempt to make up for the insufficient air volume supplied through the 3/8" lines and manifold used in the Hadley system.
3. Proper air pressure in the tires. The motor home manufacturers are using oversized tires, which we run at relatively low pressure, to make up for the inadequacies of the Hadley system. Do not over inflate to tires.

4. The Hadley system does not provide separate controllable air lines to the tag axles. As a result Spartan uses a proportional valve distributes 40% of the rear weight to the tag axle. This is too much. It causes tag axle rebound. It also causes the tag axles tires to carry too much weight. I'm changing mine to 35 / 65; similar to what a Spartan tech did on my 2016 Cornerstone. That will balance the weight distribution on the 6 rear tires, and stop the tag axle rebound.

There is more wrong with the Hadley system, not worth discussing here. It is a system which will only work properly on a 2 axle vehicle if the manifold were placed in the middle between the axles. Notice that Entegra and Newmar are finally paying attention and have changed some of the coaches to the Valid system. The Valid system has two manifolds, one for the front and one for the rear.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise