Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Basement Freezer Pre Wiring?

Does anyone know if there is wiring in the basement for a freezer, if you DID NOT order the freezer from the factory.
Also, how critical is a freezer? My VFW (Very Favorite Wife) says she is not sure she needs one. There is an Anthem on a lot that is equipped how I want it without the freezer.
Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
monroesilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #2

I was in your shoes. I thought paying that much for a freezer was silly, and I also thought I would prefer the extra storage space. I can say I'm thankful we have it. When someone wants something cold to drink, they don't head into the coach. Same for cooking on the grill outside...it's all right there. Not having people constantly in/out keeps bugs out, and of course less dirt. Our second Anthem is on order and we ordered the freezer on that one too; wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We did not get it. The unit simply plugs in and there are plenty of outlets close by if you add one down the road.

Whether to get it or not is definitely a personal choice and many like them and others like us don't. I figured to save the money for now.

Does the Anthem you are looking at have the new A/C system? That would be a deal breaker for us.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Use mine as a freezer. Store meats and other freezer stuff. Found the more you go to the grocery, the more you spend.

On the other hand $1300 is a stiff price for the addition in the pull out.

Lots of room in the fridge. I just like to buy meat at a butcher shop, and you don't come across them that much.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had the dealer take out a washer/dryer and swap it for the freezer. Has come in handy on numerous occasions but could get along fine without it.

Got to be an outlet some where close by, had to trace wires to find mine.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Easy to add later and probably cheaper too.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #7

Freezer

You can put a dometic refrigerator/freezer twice the size at three fourths the price in the front pass side compartment. All connections, both dc and a/c are in the compartment. I transferred one from my previous mh.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We couldn't live without our freezers. Yes, that's plural. We have two of them. They are an easy install so if you don't get one up front you can always add one later. Our first freezer is in the short compartment next to the entry door and mounted on a dedicated slide tray designed for it. The second one sits on the end of the big slide tray on the frontmost full-width storage compartment and can easily be removed if we would rather have the storage space on a particular trip. Running DC and AC wires to them wasn't that tough. I would get the largest size freezer as well because you can never have too much room.

Leann is an excellent cook and we bring lots of food with us when we leave. We buy a grass fed bison every year or so and bring a bunch of that with us as well as Amish pork, lamb and chickens and plenty of other stuff. Eventually that stuff runs low but we always manage to find local stuff that we load up on to bring home. Seafood from Pike Place in Seattle, elk from Jackson Hole, a keg of huckleberry ice cream from the Wilcoxson's factory in Billings, barbecue from Coopers in Texas, etc.

We eat well.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Two Dometic freezers/frigs in basement, a 110qt and 55qt. Brought many crappie (fed the entire park), bison from MT, ribeye steaks, Tony's ClamChowder (Cedar Key), 12 Slabs of smoked ribs, 1 smoked brisket, 2 smoked pulled butts...etc. Will go home from FL with Royal Reds, etc. from FL. not to mention a few Key Lime Pies from Randy's and more Tony's to take home, not to mention local items.
Is the freezer(s) worth it, yehhh. IMHO

Tags
wiring