Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #1

Batteries deader than dead

I thought we had exorcised all the demons out of the electrical system with the new inverters. NOT Used the coach for an overnight and two drive days and everything worked and looked great. Cycled and used EVERYTHING on purpose and all was good.

Parked the coach at our storage lot with everything off. All breakers off, turned off the inverters, main 12 V power off and turned off the chassis battery switch in the rear compartment. Left the coach to take care of the S&B and life got in the way. Returned to the coach this afternoon (three weeks parked) to get ready to leave for a few days. Expecting battery volts to be a bit low but operational. It has been warm weather so the batteries should have been happy.

The house batteries are dead as a door nail. The alarm led won't even light and the steps would not come out. The remote wouldn't work the batteries are so dead. The chassis batteries all but dead. Enough volts to turn on the dash lights but no hint of crank no way. The generator will not even light the prime indicator.

This coach is at least consistent. Every time I return to it something new is wrong. This is the first time I have returned to it and everything electrical was dead.

I could not even get the generator to start jumping it at the main connection on the right front frame rail. So....I disconnected the generator main feed line and tried jumping straight to the generator with the (dead) house batteries out of the picture. Good jumper cable test. They got hot enough to burn my hand and they are some real jumper cables not HF imitations. Finally got the generator to start with two parallel sets of cables!! It will only runs as long as I am jumping it from a running vehicle. Connect to the main house battery connection to start charging and the generator dies. It cannot even make enough power to sustain itself with the flat house batteries.

This thing is really frustrating when it is all electric and there is none!

Contemplating next step..... Any ideas welcome.

Figure for starters pull the chassis batteries and bring them home to charge and/or replace with new ones. That should get the Cummins running but I cringe at the load on the Cummins alternator when it starts......

I'd like to get the gen started first to see if the house batteries will recover enough to at least drive the vehicle and get things working. Not sure how to get it started and keep it running, though with the dead house batts.

Unfortunately shore power is not available unless I bring my backup generator from home or something like that. Coach is backed into parallel parking spot so getting a jump to the chassis batteries is difficult.

I'm about due for house batteries anyway I guess so l'll be shopping. Suggestions as to AGMs to replace the OEM Discovery batteries welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
IMHO, I'd install some big-"xxx" cutoffs on the house batteries and chassis, like sold in boat stores. If you can't plug in, that's what I!d do. Now, probably, you need a set of batteries.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

I can understand your frustration Al. There are a lot of things to break on these beasts. My wife feels that there is always a problem with our coach also, but part of it is the projects that I take on to "upgrade" things that I see on this forum.

I would replace all the batteries if that happened to me. Then there shouldn't be any more power problems for a while. When mine give up on me I will be installing GPL-4CT Lifeline Batteries for house batteries as they look to be the best possible. Some changes have to be made for charge times, etc on the controls on the coach. There are previous threads that discuss these changes. I would also get the same brand for engine batteries. Not what you have to do, just what I would do if these problems were mine.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one of these:
ParkPower Contour Battery Master Switch-701CHRV - The Home Depot

And added one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20128.../dp/B000CQFWLY

The round dial type was original and the plastic disintegrated so I replaced it but added the knife blade which is what I will use all the time as it's easier to get to and definitely easier to replace.

My question to you is...how much water is in your batteries and how often do you have to add water?

Have you checked the batteries with a hydrometer to see if you have a bad cell?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have one of these:
ParkPower Contour Battery Master Switch-701CHRV - The Home Depot

And added one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20128.../dp/B000CQFWLY

The round dial type was original and the plastic disintegrated so I replaced it but added the knife blade which is what I will use all the time as it's easier to get to and definitely easier to replace.

My question to you is...how much water is in your batteries and how often do you have to add water?

Have you checked the batteries with a hydrometer to see if you have a bad cell?

They are Discovery AGM batteries. I will put a total disconnect in when I have all the batteries out for replacement.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #6

The generator requires 12 volts to run . Once you disconnect the jumper cables , 12 volt is gone and it stops. You could start it with jumper cables , then use one set to connect the generator to the cable you removed. The inverter will have to be turned on to charge the batteries . If the voltage is too low , it may not turn on. The only other way is to bring in a generator and battery charger.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Al, I just cringed reading your post. I hate to hear of another major problem for you.

It does sound like new batteries. You could try plugging into a portable generator and see if the batteries will get enough charge to get it home to work on it. How far is storage from your S&B ?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Sorry to hear of your continued problems..:(

If it were our coach, I think we would put two new chassis batteries in and get it home to work on. The transmission does some strange things when its not getting enough volts to shift. Who knows what else will not work right in the backend with questionable voltage supply.

If these are the original batteries they are probably at the end of life even if they were well cared for. Born-on-date is probably early 2012 or maybe even 2011. If the coach is a 2013, it was probably built in 2012 and the chassis was probably built in 2011.? Sound about right? That would make them 5-6 years old?

Can't remember all the details about your new inverters but I think I would also check to make sure they are setup correctly for your type of batteries and required parameters.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #9

Thanks Chuck! Same thoughts I had for you when I read about the AC compressor. Glad you were able to make the right contact despite my lack of knowledge of your immediate area.

The frustrating thing for me right now is I have a broken leg. I can move around but am pretty slow and unstable and unable to lift anything like a battery or generator. That's one reason I was away from the coach 3 weeks....DW finally relented and took me over there yesterday. I'm going to set up a "trickle charge" for the chassis batteries today to get them to where the Cummins will start and then drive it to a local battery shop I trust to set up the new house batteries.

This coach is going to get the "lemonade" moniker on it yet...............

AWC
Old 09-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #10

Thanks! I concur. I want to make sure the chassis batteries are well up and able to start on their own before I even think of driving it.

This thing is a useless brick without any electrical power. Can't even open the cargo doors without "picking them" since the power locks are all dead.

You are probably right about the batteries and they were definitely on my short term to-do list. I just did not expect them to die so suddenly and completely the way they did. They actually seemed fine and would easily handle a boondock overnight with no problem but not any more I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Sorry to hear of your continued problems..:(

If it were our coach, I think we would put two new chassis batteries in and get it home to work on. The transmission does some strange things when its not getting enough volts to shift. Who knows what else will not work right in the backend with questionable voltage supply.

If these are the original batteries they are probably at the end of life even if they were well cared for. Born-on-date is probably early 2012 or maybe even 2011. If the coach is a 2013, it was probably built in 2012 and the chassis was probably built in 2011.? Sound about right? That would make them 5-6 years old?

Can't remember all the details about your new inverters but I think I would also check to make sure they are setup correctly for your type of batteries and required parameters.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The Discover batteries are not very good. It appears you got a lot of life out of yours. My batteries only lasted 2.5yrs in my 2015 Anthem before switching to the Lifeline GPL-4CT batteries. Good luck, and break out your wallet.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Al,

So sorry to hear you are still having troubles. Like others have said it sounds like your house and chassis batteries are shot. A pair of decent automotive group 31 sealed starting batteries should suffice for the chassis. If you have room where the chassis batteries are mounted I would install a proper disconnect. The one that is there only disconnects the ignition circuit so it cannot be started. Also install a disconnect for the house batteries.

For the AGM house batteries I would put in anything BUT Discover batteries. The Lifeline GPL-4CT would be an excellent choice.

If you can get enough trickle charge into the house batteries to get the inverters into "Dead battery charge" you may be able to replace the starting batteries and drive it home to work on. Otherwise getting the engine started and having the alternator give all it's got to charge the house batteries (even though it will only be for 1 hour) may not be the best for your alternator.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Al.
Sure sorry to hear about the broken leg, ouch! You made a good point for those that store with no electric and installing a battery cutoff switch Things can happen at any time to prevent someone from keeping a routine charging schedule. I would be guilty of that. After Hurricane Irma, it reminded me how my MH needs to be ready to go at all times.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #14

They are really proud of those LifeLine GPL-4CT batteries aren't they?

Those are going to be my goal if I can find a local source that is reasonable.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I had often worried about storing the coach off site if I couldn't access it for a period of time. After chasing problems with the thing all summer (windshield wiper arms falling off, dash AC failing, repeat generator fuel pump repairs, recall for ball joints to Spartan, major electrical glitches ending up with both inverters failing, etc.) I had put enough miles on it and used it for overnights enough that I really didn't expect the batteries to fail like this. But, yes, it is definitely necessary to keep tabs on the thing constantly especially if it is not plugged in.

My biggest concern is not knowing what killed the batteries so dead. With the recent replacement of both inverters it obviously begs the question is something not hooked up correctly. I hate to put in a new set of batteries and immediately kill them so I do want to get it up and running with the existing batteries to try some trouble shooting before changing them out.

DW is just about fed up with this experiment. We used the coach for a sum total of 21 overnights and spent the rest of the time since early May positioning it for repair and/or retrieving it to find the next issue. Last fall I spent all the time adding enough turn signals to drive it safely and practicing taking the Aquahot burner apart and putting it back together. This fall I went from worrying about how to wash it without spots to wondering how to get it to just run. Living in this coach full time would be unthinkable for either of us based on it's performance the past 3.5 years. I have a hard time trusting it to even winter in Florida as planned todate. It really is a major disappointment.
(end of rant)

Tags
batteries