Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Batteries for your hidden safe

If you are like me, I never gave a thought about changing the batteries that control the push button code numbers on my hidden safe. All of a sudden I couldn't open the safe with my secret code so I had to use the master key. The battery compartment is behind the safe door and all four AA batteries were corroded. I had to take off the safe door to clean up the battery compartment. If you have to do the same, be careful of and don't lose the ball bearings in the upper and lower door hinges.
Moral to the story---change your safe batteries every year whether you need to or not. Mine were three years old.
2013 Anthem 42 DEQ.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rljacobs View Post
If you are like me, I never gave a thought about changing the batteries that control the push button code numbers on my hidden safe. All of a sudden I couldn't open the safe with my secret code so I had to use the master key. The battery compartment is behind the safe door and all four AA batteries were corroded. I had to take off the safe door to clean up the battery compartment. If you have to do the same, be careful of and don't lose the ball bearings in the upper and lower door hinges.
Moral to the story---change your safe batteries every year whether you need to or not. Mine were three years old.
2013 Anthem 42 DEQ.
Good point. I find I am in and out of my safe a fair bit and do not use the light but still only get about 4 months out of a set of batteries.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good idea, will do mine tonight.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Oh boy something else I have to check.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. Will replace once per year as suggested.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Good point. I find I am in and out of my safe a fair bit and do not use the light but still only get about 4 months out of a set of batteries.
I do not know what type of AA batteries your safe requires, or what you are using. However, would Lithium AA batteries last longer for you? They are a bit more expensive than alkalines, but might be worth the difference in the long run. Just a thought...
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Be sure the inside light is turned off. The light is hard to see . Mine was on and ran the batteries down quick.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
I do not know what type of AA batteries your safe requires, or what you are using. However, would Lithium AA batteries last longer for you? They are a bit more expensive than alkalines, but might be worth the difference in the long run. Just a thought...
It takes 4 AA batteries. May experiment and give the lithium batteries a try. Thanks.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah ... not sure what's up with the safe battery life. My little safe (Intelli-Safe) uses 9 volt batteries. Even using fresh Duracell batteries - the batteries start dying after 6 months of use. First symptom of the dying battery is that opening the safe with the combination buttons starts to get flakey. In my case - the safe gets opened/closed maybe 2x per week - so it's certainly not what I'd consider a heavily used item.

Other products using 9 volt batteries for power seem to last a lot longer. Makes me wonder what about the safe's design makes it chew up batteries so quickly.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I removed my safe and use that area for storage. After buying the Cornerstone I don't have any money left to put in the safe anyway.

Saved money on batteries too.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rljacobs View Post

2013 Anthem 42 DEQ.

Thanks for the reminder! Replaced mine tonight after 3 years.

Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

Good reply Mark. You are right about the money left over after purchasing and doing the upkeep on these money holes. All Boy's Toys are pretty pricy, BUT I still love mine anyway.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 PM   #13

Thanks for the reminder to replace the batteries in our S&B house safe as well!! They still worked but barely and checked low!!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:31 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
It takes 4 AA batteries. May experiment and give the lithium batteries a try. Thanks.
I replaced mine with lithium over a year ago. Lithium batteries are said to have a shelf life of ten years or so.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries