Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

Battery Bank Cleaning

Summers is over so don't forget to clean off your batteries. I let ours go for over a year and it didn't take much to get them looking good and healthy. Safe Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bank.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	175785  
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
They look great, maintenance is every thing if you don't want to buy new ones very often.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #3

So Jim...... tell us what and how you worked on those batteries. Did you use some specific product or just elbow grease?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I always wondered if just a power sprayer would do it....
but would think too much water and you've got an electrical conduit between the batteries that would short out :(
Old 09-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

I worked in construction equipment repair forever. The batteries would often be buried in dirt and debris.

We used the water hose on the batteries to clean them all of the time. A pressure washer would work but you need to be carefull not to blow off the caps or labels.

There is no danger in shorting them out, washing them with a garden hose.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #6

Might be some water-sensitive equipment in the battery compartment but in general, 12v battery and cables aren't impacted by water. I wash down the batteries with the garden hose, every time I wash the coach--14 years/165k miles--no issues. Did a major restoration several years ago--cleaned the battery racks down to bare metal and used pick-up bed spray to re-paint--good stuff.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We use water hoses and even pressure washers all the time on our construction equipment.

BUT

When we were at the Spartan Academy we did our coach walk-through. Big Mike noticed that the tops of me batteries were dusty. I know that this can promote discharge because all of that dirt holds moisture and water conducts electricity so there will be a slight current drain between the positive and negative battery posts which will drain the batteries down over time. I told him that I would wash it off with a pressure washer or garden hose when I got home and Mike told me not to do that because these are AGM batteries.

I know quite a bit about AGM batteries but has no idea why I shouldn't wash them. Mike explained that AGM batteries are vented to allow for expansion and contraction as they heat and cool so that the battery cases don't swell. This I knew too but he told me that the water pressure gets into the vents and into the batteries, which I had never considered before. These aren't flooded batteries and they don't get along with any water that gets into the case. Mike told me that the best method is to get a spray bottle of Windex. Not the new fancy formulations, just the good old fashioned Windex with Ammonia D. Spray it on and wipe it off.

Ya learn something new every day.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
We use water hoses and even pressure washers all the time on our construction equipment.

BUT

When we were at the Spartan Academy we did our coach walk-through. Big Mike noticed that the tops of me batteries were dusty. I know that this can promote discharge because all of that dirt holds moisture and water conducts electricity so there will be a slight current drain between the positive and negative battery posts which will drain the batteries down over time. I told him that I would wash it off with a pressure washer or garden hose when I got home and Mike told me not to do that because these are AGM batteries.

I know quite a bit about AGM batteries but has no idea why I shouldn't wash them. Mike explained that AGM batteries are vented to allow for expansion and contraction as they heat and cool so that the battery cases don't swell. This I knew too but he told me that the water pressure gets into the vents and into the batteries, which I had never considered before. These aren't flooded batteries and they don't get along with any water that gets into the case. Mike told me that the best method is to get a spray bottle of Windex. Not the new fancy formulations, just the good old fashioned Windex with Ammonia D. Spray it on and wipe it off.

Hi Mark,

That's funny, I took Big Mike's class last month. Windex and a reference to "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" came up for sure.

Thanks for the reminder!!!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #9

I took old wash clothes and wet them down with water. No chemicals and a bit of elbow grease. Took me 30 minutes and they were like new. I have it on my Calendar to do it again when Spring comes around.
We also removed everything from the Coach along with the basement and thoroughly cleaned her from top to bottom when we got back home.
First time emptying the basement since we purchased our Coach. We had our Bug guy spray her inside and under the Coach. We spent several months in the South this year and picked up a lot of spiders.

My Wife was bit by a spider while we were in Texas and it wasn't pretty. Found 5 Black Widows and webs along with egg balls in between the basement doors underneath along the rubber seals. Found a Black Widow and web at my left foot area in the drivers compartment while we were in Texas. The sucker just came in and made herself at home.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post

BUT

Good information, Thanks
Old 09-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, glad you brought up the bug and spider situation. I have always taken everything out of each basement compartment and vacuumed them after a trip. (amazing the things I find that I was looking for) Last year after all the stink bug posts I started spraying each compartment down with Rid A Bug after vacuuming it. Surprised how many dead bugs I found before this trip. I think most were FL bugs that entered during storage, but Rid a Bug works for several months. Good heads up.

Mark, thanks for posting not to use my pressure washer anymore. Thankfully I have new batteries that haven't been pressure washed yet.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Looks great Jim!

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Something else we found while cleaning out the basement. Didn't see this Leak on the backside of the Aqua Hot. You have to crawl around back in there to see this. DW did the crawling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170905_105608.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	175824   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170905_105615.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	175825  

Old 09-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVUS101 View Post
Something else we found while cleaning out the basement. Didn't see this Leak on the backside of the Aqua Hot. You have to crawl around back in there to see this. DW did the crawling.

I would love to talk to the engineer at Entegra that approved that design...LOL

Tags
battery