Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Battery Charging with Solar Panels

I have not yet purchase a Entegra Anthem 44DLQ but i'm in the process
I have a few questions I have been reading handy bobs blog about solar power and charging your batteries and I'm just wondering how well the two 100 watt solar panels do with keeping the batteries up.
I have read on another thread that with all the lights and a TV it will last for about 8 hours, from reading the blog it makes me think that the solar panels are not putting out a full 14.8 to 15v charge to the batteries.
Do we have any Boondockers on here with the Anthem if so how well are the batteries holding up. How long do you have to run the genny in a 24h period to help maintain the batteries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

Need to start off with a realistic appraisal of your anticipated needs, both as to what load you need to supply, and whether you are normally on hookups or want to boondock for several days, how often you drive (assuming you can charge off the engine alternator)

However, any solar panel, together with a reasonable solar regulator can help but the starting point is to understand that a 100W panel will never supply 8 amps in the real world. Figure 6 amps maximum for half the hours that the sun shines and that would be more realistic.
Also, figure on the battery supplying only half the rated capacity, because dragging it down lower will result in a dramatically shortened life.

Fitting a reasonable solar system isn't difficult, but it does need a bit of research to get it right the first time

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Tony and Brandy,

Your post referred to a comment that was similar to a comment I made (maybe you were actually referring to my comment exactly) about batteries. I answered a boon docking question about how long the batteries will last. I stated that recently the lights and a two tv's were left on for several hours (6-8). When I came back to the coach they lights were very dim.

To clarify, we don't have the 100 watt solar panels. The genset wouldn't start because the batteries were depleted, so I held down the battery boost and the genset fired right up. I let it run for probably an hour while I went to a cookout and upon returning all the levels were back to normal.

Since I don't have the 100 watt solar panels I cant comment on that aspect of your post. But I wanted clarify's my previous post/comment (assuming it was mine that you read).
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is some good sizing information, see the menu in the box on the right.
AM Solar's Educational Pages for RV Solar Systems
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Here is some good sizing information, see the menu in the box on the right.
AM Solar's Educational Pages for RV Solar Systems
AM Solar is a very knowledgeable company, they have solar engineers on site. they installed a solar system on our last coach. with our Anthem, we had them spec it our for solar... estimated number of 100w panels was 20. that was for total off the grid use w/o generator backup. of course, we passed on that. a better estimate would be to start with a minimum of 6 to 8 panels... boondock with that and if you need to, add more panels to meet your personal needs. you will use generator for a/c, stove top times which will help recharge batteries. our last coach had 4 coach batteries, we had 4 panels, worked for us.. our anthem has 8 batteries plus 2 chassis batteries... we will start with 8. one panel per battery. should be plenty with power conservation. there are so many variables to "how many solar panels are needed", that you really need to test it as you go. at this time solar is not cost effective, unless you have special needs. but is nice to have it to reduce gen time, (if running your gen is a concern).
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY View Post
Tony and Brandy,

Your post referred to a comment that was similar to a comment I made (maybe you were actually referring to my comment exactly) about batteries. I answered a boon docking question about how long the batteries will last. I stated that recently the lights and a two tv's were left on for several hours (6-8). When I came back to the coach they lights were very dim.

To clarify, we don't have the 100 watt solar panels. The genset wouldn't start because the batteries were depleted, so I held down the battery boost and the genset fired right up. I let it run for probably an hour while I went to a cookout and upon returning all the levels were back to normal.

Since I don't have the 100 watt solar panels I cant comment on that aspect of your post. But I wanted clarify's my previous post/comment (assuming it was mine that you read).
The comment that I was speaking about the gentleman said that his 8-10 year had left the tv and all the lights on. So I was just wondering if the solar panels were working good if so I felt like the batteries would have latest longer
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #7

Yep- That was my post. And yes, those were my two knuckleheads that left everything on.

As stated, we don't have the solar panels.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY View Post
Yep- That was my post. And yes, those were my two knuckleheads that left everything on.

As stated, we don't have the solar panels.
Thanks Risky

Tags
battery, charging, solar