Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

Battery voltage reading question

was wondering if it was normal for the battery voltage reading to be around 12.4 to 12.6 instantly after being plugged in for along time? it will be reading float charging before I un plug . then pretty much right way it reads this lower voltage after being un plugged.
I would think with anthems 8 batteries it would be stronger for longer than that.
does this possibly mean my batteries are starting to ware out? what are other entegra owners experiencing? this is a 2014 model and I have owned it only for about 1 month.
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Battery voltage is not a very accurate way to indicate state of charge. That being said, the voltage must be measured with "NO load" to be even close to accurate. If you had lights, inverter, etc all running when you take the measurement, it will indicate a voltage drop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449410341.053982.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	113488

If you want to accurately know how your batteries are doing you should get this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449410593.665077.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	113489
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The SOC VOLTAGE OF 12.65V shoukd be measured with zero load and after the battery has stabilized an hour or so.
i am sure you have some kind of draw on you batteries.
Also, how accurate is your meter?

Czn you check the SG?

Finally, how long does it hold the reading?

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Measuring any battery while not under load with just a volt meter, DMM or VOM will give you inaccurate readings.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
From an Entegra owners stand point....mine also drops to 12.6 volts after unplugging. We have a lot of current draws on our all electric coaches and it only take a few minutes for mine to settle down to 12.6 volts which is 100% charged. My concern is how long it stays there.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Just spent 2.5 months on the road with about 10 days of that dry camping. I noticed the same thing...during and after charging, the house batteries quickly settling to the 12.5-12.6 level after the gennie turned off. It concerned me, because a couple times, the gennie didn't come on when it was supposed to (AUTO GEN) and the batteries dropped to 10.5 and 11.5v. So I wondered if I damaged them. It does not appear so, but I continue to monitor. Have to say though, that those two cases tended to affect my trust in the AUTO GEN functionality. As I was asleep one time and out of the coach the other, I don't know if it was just the generator trying to come on, coughing and then not starting or what. Over three years and two coaches, I still have trouble trusting the AUTO GEN functionality and the impact on house batteries. Do know that when the chassis batteries get drawn down more than once, that is trouble.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
Community Moderator

battery voltage reading question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
... the gennie didn't come on when it was supposed to (AUTO GEN) and the batteries dropped to 10.5 and 11.5v.

Some AGS systems also have "quiet time" programmed so that the generator doesn't start at times it would disturb other campers.....would be worth checking as that setting might be an issue for you.

You would need to manually run the generator to charge batteries before quiet time starts, so that the batteries will last the night.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
According to the Discover Battery website the EVGC6A-B AGM is fully charged with an OCV @ 20C of 12.9 v.

Without more information of what the original poster has set in his inverter panels for a charge profile it may just be a case of under charged batteries. The AGM 2 profile that is suggested in the Magnum manual is not fully charging the batteries in an Anthem or Cornerstone.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Some AGS systems also have "quiet time" programmed so that the generator doesn't start at times it would disturb other campers.....would be worth checking as that setting might be an issue for you.

You would need to manually run the generator to charge batteries before quiet time starts, so that the batteries will last the night.
That's a good catch...I had set my gen for no quiet time at night several months ago, because we were dry camping in situations where quiet time was not an issue...set it during mid-day...the time both no starts occurred! Tx
Old 12-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #10

FWIW What people are ignoring is that when a battery is being charged the charging circuit has to put out more than the cell voltage total to get current flowing back into the battery. That sets up a surface charge that also will be higher. When you remove the charging source the circuit voltage immediately drops then drops again as the surface charge dissipates. Then you get to the state of charge voltage. Go to one of the web sites like battery university for a decent explanation. When you are dealing with house batteries do not use the starting battery testers most automotive oriented shops use as they use too high a current thus give the wrong results.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
According to the Discover Battery website the EVGC6A-B AGM is fully charged with an OCV @ 20C of 12.9 v.

Without more information of what the original poster has set in his inverter panels for a charge profile it may just be a case of under charged batteries. The AGM 2 profile that is suggested in the Magnum manual is not fully charging the batteries in an Anthem or Cornerstone.
Hi, just ran into this thread. I tried looking up additional info, but can you elaborate on the settings you're running then? I think factory is AGM2?

I'm curious how your batteries are doing after you changed settings?

Thanks,
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln20 View Post
Hi, just ran into this thread. I tried looking up additional info, but can you elaborate on the settings you're running then? I think factory is AGM2?

I'm curious how your batteries are doing after you changed settings?

Thanks,
Batteries are doing great with the changed settings. I'll send you a PM with the settings.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
That's a good catch...I had set my gen for no quiet time at night several months ago, because we were dry camping in situations where quiet time was not an issue...set it during mid-day...the time both no starts occurred! Tx
Side note, Dave, sorry to hear you haven't solved your battery issue but on a happy note, I like the addition of the Polaris RZR to your Signature. We'll have to get together sometime for some trail riding. Think I'll add it to mine.
Keep the dirty side down.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Already got my first scratch on the side taking a tough stepped trailing rocks. We're at 125 miles in the first 5 weeks. Tearing the deserted the Spring Mountains once or twice a week. Interesting to track up above the snow line! Think I may need to add winch to be safe.

Tags
battery