RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Big rigs and campgrounds that fit em'

We're moving from a 38' Tiffin gaser to an Anthem 42DEQ and we're pretty excited about the move. However we've heard a lot of noise from others saying if we get a coach that large we'll have problems getting into campgrounds. While I know that there are many sites that can't accommodate a big rig, has anyone had issues?

And a second question is.....what are some of the best campgrounds around the country that easily accommodate a big coach. My two cents......Red Apple Campground in Arundel, ME (part of Kennebunkport) It's a nice camp site; very clean, wonderful owners and has plenty of space for a large coach.

Thanks Ya'll!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #2

I have never found a campground where a 38' would fit but a 42' wouldn't. All campgrounds ask how long your coach is and will tell you if it doesn't work. I am currently staying at Cedar Key RV Resort and there are plenty of big rigs here with lots of room to spare.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #3

I think word of mouth from other "big rig" owners is always best.
When we are looking up campgrounds, we obviously look for the "big rig" friendly ones. We have found that some parks claim this, but it's actually not "friendly" to twist or fit one in them.
We read the reviews and look at what type RV the reviewer was traveling in. I am big on current pics of the actual camp sites from the park, a lot can be learned from them. Look for big rigs in any of the camp sites. Look at how close they are parked, how wide the roads are. If there are no big coaches in there photos, I am skeptical. I am always skeptical of parks with no pics of camp sites posted..........there is usually a reason.
Newer parks/resorts always seem more suited, as they built them with bigger Rvs in mind, but that is not saying some older ones are not good.

There are some limitations with the bigger coach, but it think the travel comfort is well worth giving up some smaller RV parks. I am one to pay a few more bucks a night, but know I have a nice spot to park in, and room to put it there.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of the older State and National Park campgrounds that were designed years ago before RV's got big may present some issues. We had a 36' DP and traded up to a 42' and we've been successful finding many nice RV parks all across the USA. We use RVParkReviews.com and RVParky App to help locate good places to stay.

Some examples of places we've stayed that easily accommodate big rigs are:

Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, SC
Willow Tree RV Resort in Longs, SC
Mountain Falls RV Resort, Lake Toxaway, NC
Premier RV Resort, Eugene, OR
Grizzly RV Resort, West Yellowstone, MT
Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort, Las Vegas
Buckhorn Lake RV Resort, Kerrville, TX
Travelers World RV Park, San Antonio, TX
American RV Park, Albuguerque, NM

and many, many others....

Enjoy the new rig.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We don't really have that much of a problem with spots big enough for our rig. You need to invest in a "Big Rig" campsite book. They have some very useful information while traveling. It's really all about calling ahead and/or reading the RVPARKREVIEW.com website. The site has usually good feedback on most RV camps and will let you know right away if your rig is going to fit into any of their sites or if the turns are too tight to get into/out of. We have found that the State parks and older campgrounds are really not very suited to big rigs. You need to also be careful of 30amp only connections. With these rigs being all electric you will need to employ some power management during the summer months when at a 30amp only site. We are retired military and stay at FamCamps on the military bases and they almost always have spaces for big rigs. That's my two cents worth. Enjoy the new rig.
ComerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #6

We dig into any and all campground info to see if our big rig will fit-Trailer Life/Woodalls big book, RV Park Reviews, All Stays, and the campgrounds web site. Same with state and Natl parks thru their reservations service. Sometimes its not the length of the site, but the access roads within. We squeezed into a site in BC, head in, overlooking the creek. Very nice. Upon leaving, I backed out and turned around to leave and then heard the crunch....I had scraped up against a low rock wall, no major damage and all fixed by the body shop. But next time, my spotter will keep and eye on me with our FRS radios in hand.
Enjoy!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We also bought a Anthem DEQ. We have traveled quite a bit and have no problems at all. I use RV Park Reviews and call ahead quite often. Our attitude was the DEQ gives us the largest living area that we liked the most so we chose it. We are more concerned over that issue than parks that can not fit us. I do not think you will have any truly noteworthy issues in your travels.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #8

No problems yet however we have only had the coach a few months. We did find some places where we could not stay due to size while calling for a place in FL for Jan/Feb time frame but we found a nice place to stay and that is a busy time down there.

Tom
Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've never had an issue at CGs if you look at hem beforehand RV park reviews will show those park that are big rig friendly. You can also get a book or online publication written for big rigs and it even goes so far as to tell yoou which are the preferred camp sites.

Order Page
Old 03-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I always get a kick out of these stories, when we we're buying a couple of friends said not to go over 40' cause we couldn't get into some parks. Well so far we at 44' have gone everywhere they have with the 40's.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest a copy of the publication "Big Rigs Best Bets". It's a great little book suggesting campgrounds for large rigs. The authors have personally visited each one that the critique and even suggest specific sites to try to reserve
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #12

Lots of good advice.

A couple of my favorites:

Wine Country in Paso Robles, CA...nice park, nice people, pretty area, great wine.

Portal in Moab, UT...nice new park, plenty of room, Moab has a little of everything.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Owning a 38 ft you have stayed in a few RV parks. Are they any places you have stayed that would not be able to park a 5 ft larger MH? We moved up from a 38 ft and found the parks that our 38 was max we didn't want to go back to anyway.

The only places we found the 5 ft made a difference was fuel stops.

As for rig size we use the app RVParky and RVParkReview. We can find the best parks in the area and people that have stayed there will comment if the sites are tight, low hanging trees, etc Also use Good Sams app. They list the parks sites sizes, how many pull thru etc. Both are free apps, the apps are always up to date without purchasing new copies every few years.

Enjoy your new rig, the ride will amaze you.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Some places you will fit, some you won't. Just go to the ones where you fit and ignore the rest. There are many thousands of 45 footers on the road and we all find places to stay. You need to research your destinations, but it isn't difficult to do that. I use RVParkeviews.co, RvParky app, and Google Earth before I go. This lets me tell which campgrounds are best for my big rig.

Tags
campground