Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2017, 02:18 AM   #15

Be careful touching 2 posts at the same time if you r going to check on it. Also after you disconnect all wires run a screwdriver across all post Make sure you are holding the rubber part of the screwdriver. Just Sayinn
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 03:23 AM   #16
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
What are the symptoms of the problem?
Dead: GPS, Camera, Steps, 12 Volt outlets. Maybe more. Brake alarm blaring even when brake off.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Dead: GPS, Camera, Steps, 12 Volt outlets. Maybe more. Brake alarm blaring even when brake off.
Maybe someone that has experienced the same issues will be able to help. Have the chassis fuses in the round container in the engine battery compartment been checked?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
That probably isn't the "big boy" - the "big boy" (and starting in 2017, the Blue Sea) is used for the Main Battery cutoff.

At least some of those symptoms seem more like it could be the smaller silver solenoid (just a big relay) in the front fuse compartment under the driver window. It controls all the power to the IGNITION fuse block there. When the key is on, the solenoid is activated and provides power to that fuse block which has some of the functions you mentioned. They have a history of high failure rate.

You can test by jumping the two fat terminals with some heavy wire, or moving the cable from one fat post and touching it to the other to temporarily bypass the solenoid.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
That probably isn't the "big boy" - the "big boy" (and starting in 2017, the Blue Sea) is used for the Main Battery cutoff.

At least some of those symptoms seem more like it could be the smaller silver solenoid (just a big relay) in the front fuse compartment under the driver window. It controls all the power to the IGNITION fuse block there. When the key is on, the solenoid is activated and provides power to that fuse block which has some of the functions you mentioned. They have a history of high failure rate.

You can test by jumping the two fat terminals with some heavy wire, or moving the cable from one fat post and touching it to the other to temporarily bypass the solenoid.
Guaranteed that is exactly what the problem is. Rob has it right. The silver solenoid is a weak point, I am on my third one. The symptoms you describe points directly to that ignition solenoid. As well as the step not automatically coming in with the key ON your power mirrors will also not work and the big one the park brake says it is still set even though it is released.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the answers Rob and Don. I learned something today, thank you.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post

Definitely worth a try
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #22

Relay

Does anyone have the part number or where to order it. Sounds like it needs to go in the Spares box
jktxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktxs View Post
Does anyone have the part number or where to order it. Sounds like it needs to go in the Spares box
It is a continuous duty 85amp four pole solenoid. After having my third one installed I do not think I would want another of the Entegra ones. Any auto parts store should stock these, just get one at the 85 amp rating or preferably higher.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #24

I don't see these solenoids in the front compartment on the 17 CS. Do we not have them anymore or are they located somewhere else? I know what they look like and our 14 Anthem had them in that compartment. Or have they been replaced with the equipment I posted photos of on this thread earlier?
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
I don't see these solenoids in the front compartment on the 17 CS. Do we not have them anymore or are they located somewhere else? I know what they look like and our 14 Anthem had them in that compartment. Or have they been replaced with the equipment I posted photos of on this thread earlier?
Don't know, the earlier photos you posted are for the BIM (Battery Interconnect Manager) and the Battery Cutoff Switch (Yellow Switch on top). Those perform different functions. Perhaps the 2017 Anthem/Cornerstone now have that function incorporated into the G6 panel in that compartment.

The 2017 Aspire/Insignia still have the same old style solenoid.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
It is a continuous duty 85amp four pole solenoid. After having my third one installed I do not think I would want another of the Entegra ones. Any auto parts store should stock these, just get one at the 85 amp rating or preferably higher.
Last one I purchased (not for an Entegra) was purchased at Auto Zone.

I don't carry a spare for that reason, it's an auto parts store item.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
To elaborate on Don's description the solenoid relay on my 2017 Aspire is made by Cole Hersee model 24059

The specs are:
SPST- Normally Open
85Amp
Continuous Duty
Copper Contacts
Insulated Ground

Full specs here: http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/co...info-sheet.pdf

Avilable on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-2.../dp/B0064MX7US

If you wanted to go up a grade, consider model 24213 which has 200 Amp Silvered contacts.

https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-2.../dp/B005K2429I

Even better is 24213-01 which in addition to the silver contacts has potted internals to protect against vibration. This model does not seem to be sold on Amazon and will be harder to find.

It would be interesting to know what is failing with these units, it could be the contacts, or it could be the coil that engages the contacts.

Here's a wider view on a 2017 Aspire, note the solenoid is fed by an 80 amp circuit breaker. The solenoid feeds the upper fuse block.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

For those of us who still have the pre-VegaTouch systems that 85 amp solenoid is a Cole-Hersee 24059 series solenoid. You can replace it with a 200 amp version, which is Cole-Hersee # 24213. It will last longer, run cooler and handle more current. Available on Amazon or most any Google search but most likely not at an auto parts store unless they get more into heavy duty applications.

Not sure how the 2017/2018s are but there must be a solenoid in place to separate the ignition-hot dash circuits from the constant-hot circuits.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid