Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I've also seen a lot of Yakima bike racks which look pretty sturdy.

That is what we have ina hitch style. It has a pivot point where the vertical post attaches to the 2" x2" sq. tube that slides into the coah receiver which allows all three of the bicycles to swing down to the ground (maybe they all do) , works well !
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #16

Thanks for all of the replies! I will researching your ideas.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #17

We have a double Yakima system mounted on roof of toad. Very solid and doesn't add to your length.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #18

XC Hitch or Bumper Mount Rack - Swagman 64663 - Bike Racks - Camping World we use this one but we dont tow anything it works well
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #19

Attached is a picture of our setup. We also have a 2" receiver on the Jeep so the bikes can go either place. Having them on the back of the MH is nice and they stay locked when traveling and while camped.

I've done the hanging bike thing and the bikes take too much abuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toad_bikes.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	59380  
Old 03-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
Attached is a picture of our setup. We also have a 2" receiver on the Jeep so the bikes can go either place. Having them on the back of the MH is nice and they stay locked when traveling and while camped.

I've done the hanging bike thing and the bikes take too much abuse.
What is the make/model of yours? I'm looking for one for ours while towing. Thanks!
Tankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #21

Here is the best i have found not cheap but sturdy . quality Products » Sherpa | Küat
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
What is the make/model of yours? I'm looking for one for ours while towing. Thanks!
Its a Swagman XTC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DMJPLO/..._26725410_item

I got the 2" hitch splitter at Harbor Freight.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #23

rack choices

Lots of good recommendations for bike racks here.
I would only add, choose a rack that supports the bike wheels from below. They are usually adjustable for wheel and frame sizes and keep the bikes from slamming into each other while traveling.
The racks that support a bike from the bikes's top tube only can be awkward since top tubes vary in diameter and shape.
Happy riding.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Ditchin' the Hitch mount (Blue Ox)

We purchased the Blue Ox hitch mount (by the way their logo is upside down on this - attention to detail NOT) and have found it does not work for us.
Issues:
1. Mount slips onto hitch extension like a coupling & tightening nut/screw underneath makes ground clearance even less. We tow a Mini Cooper so are lower than, most to begin with - first test out the drive (here are those approach/departure angles again) resulted in a 10' x 2" gouge in our tarmac
2. Top tube clamp does not fit our bikes well
3. Do not like the potential "swing" and clanging
4. No good way to secure (lock) bikes
Attempt #2: fork mount roof rack for MiniBee (she is Yellow and Black & I like to name our vehicles, puns if possible). And we considering these: Cuckoo Covers
very Ninja
PS
two "fancy" road bikes do not fit slide out tray
TegraTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #25

Harbor freight has a dual hitch extender for $29 (remember to bring a 20% coupon). Should be heavy duty enough for most applications.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
After using a ladder mounted, I'm thinking of buying one that fits the hitch on my Explorer that I tow.
Take a look at the Thule T2 Rack. I have one for my Explorer. Locking bolt in 2" receiver keeps it rigid. Hold 2 Bikes and folds down to allow access to your rear door without having to remove a bike. Also has built in cable locks for each bike (key matches all three locks). Have driven the car at 80 mph with absolutely no movement of the bikes. It is a little pricier than some, but worth every dime.

We plan on putting the rack on the coach when we are parked and using the toad for other purposes.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #27

I use a dual hitch extender and a 4 bike rack I purchased at Wal-Mart 5 years and two motorhomes ago. It has seen rough roads, extreme temps, and over 50K miles on the back of the MH and Jeep (toad we had 4-5 years ago) and is still going strong. It was under a $100 bucks when we bought it so the value for the money is awesome.

A word of caution about racks that support the bike tires rather than the frames. Depending upon where you mount your rack you may need to have a ladder to get these on and off. Also the Yakima racks that we had like this actually caused the bikes to sway more on bumpy roads (center of gravity being way above the attachment point) so we ended up nixing those racks and went with the ones that support the frame. They have worked great for us and we have hauled everything (mountain bikes, road bikes, girls frames, kids bikes, BMX, cruisers, etc) and have always found a way to attached them securely. YMMV
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
I use this Swagman. If you use this model you do not need the two hitch splitter. It slides right onto your towbar shank. I am very happy with it. Quick easy on & off of bikes and it holds them very securely.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote