Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #1

"Bird Poop" stain on the front cap Diamond Shield - Solution

I have previously started a thread about a white, nasty looking stain running down my Diamond Shield. For all intents and purposes, it looked like a large bird did his business above my coach and it ran down the front. In the previous thread, I had pictures (consult previous thread). In fact, this stain was worst in the exact middle of the front windshield, but there were additional streaks at both bottom corners of the windshield. Unsightly, and not nice. Mine began shortly after I took possession of the coach. Entegra customer service was familiar with the issue but their suggestions to use vinegar and water, use windex, use a ton of elbow grease, all did little or nothing. Worse yet, if you ran your fingers over the stain, it felt, and looked, like the white stain was behind the Diamond Shield as well as on top of it.

Just finished 10 days at Camp Entegra and they called the Diamond Shield tech that works at their assembly plant to look at my coach. The long and short of it is that he was able to remove this ugly stain by the use of some liquid compound (he could not give me (or wouldn't) the name, but it was in a bottle like a mustard or ketchup bottle and was very liquid with very small grit). Now, he said that you had to use a buffer with a slow rotation and work it carefully with little pressure, but he got it all off without ruining the Diamond Shield. Beautiful!! Now he said to be very careful as a fast buff wheel would grind right into the Diamond Shield.

Finally, he said that whatever that stain was coming from (seemed to be from something behind the rubber windshield seal), he felt that the longer it stayed on the Diamond Shield, the more that it appeared to "etch" the diamond shield. His opinion was to get it off as soon as you can get it done competently (which is why I wanted the Diamond Shield tech himself to do the fixin'....) Also, he gave me a small sample of "303" uV protectant to use on the Diamond Shield on a regular basis.... I buy the stuff by the gallon and use it exclusively on the rubber tires for uV protection ), but it was nice to get the "go ahead" and encouragement to use it on the Diamond Shield also..

So.............. that is what I know. I know that I am not the only person with the problem, so this is to add to the collective knowledge-base.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #2

I'm glade you got that resolved and thanks for the heads up
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

My 2015 Cornerstone had those stains. Got them off with several products and a ton of elbow grease. They have not shown up on my 2016 yet and I hope they don't.

2016 Cornerstone 45B
Formerly 2011 & 2013 Anthems and 2015 Cornerstone
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 10-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same problem. I used some very fine rubbing compound and went slowly. Once I got it removed I've been using Wash/Wax All on it, that has made it easy to remove.
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Gary - glad you got it taken care of. Sorry you are missing the rally because of it, though.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,

Thanks for the update, glad you finally found a solution. By the way 303 protectant is one of the few products Diamond Shield recommends for their film.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #7

Bird POP

Gary After visting with you and I had worked in a body shop for a # of years I belive that it is the sanding dust from the fiber glass of the cap opening of the frount window opening they probley had to sand some thing on the windshiled opeing and did not clean it up after sanding. Wayne
bill cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #8

Wayne

Nice to talk to you today. I agree with your hypothesis exactly. I have advanced that theory to the techs and service managers at Entegra, but their faces indicated that they didn't believe in my hypothesis...... but it sure makes sense. Could even be happening at the front cap manufacturer rather than at Entegra production facility. I would wash any sanding down with Acetone to get a complete clean surface but that is an hypothesis.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

Applied the 303 to DS after washing coach yesterday. ...works great, the bugs rub off real easy. BTW works great on s/s and aluminum wheels
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap