Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 03:08 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Biting the Eternabond Bullet

When I first got my coach, I read a few threads from some owners who decided to put Etenabond Tape over the caulk seams of their new coaches. I wish that I had followed their advice at that time

Unfortunately, a small leak recently occurred in my rear bath over the vanity area. This caused the woodwork to crack. Because this the painted wood, repairing it will more difficult because of the paint issue. I have contacted Entegra and they are assisting me to either get a bit of the paint or at least a color number. I am out of warranty so it is my issue.

Examination of the roof showed a couple of seams that "could" be the problem.

End result, I have invested $285 in 4 rolls of Eternabond tape (4" & 6") and am in the process of taping ALL the seams. So far, everything seems to be as advertised. Once you clean the surface and apply the tape, it appears that it will be there "eternally".

In retrospect, wished I had done it earlier.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #2

You will still have to check on it, it don't last as long as they claim, sun and elements will deteriorate it.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:20 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good post Ralph. While we were at our PDI in Aug another 2014 that did nothing to his roof was having hss closet and all of the woodwork and closet ceiling panels replaced because of a leak that came in from a vent pipe seam.

This was a section of my roof seam at 8 months of age. This was just a matter of time when it would leak. Sorry you suffered water damage, it gets expensive now that we are out of warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-05 11.14.46.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	141532  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
You will still have to check on it, it don't last as long as they claim, sun and elements will deteriorate it.
It was on my previous coach for 11 years and still looked like the day it was installed when I sold it. Installed correctly it will outlast the MH itself.

Caulking is an annual maintenance project that you "hope" you catch all the small cracks and pinholes.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #5

I had a leak on my house where the brick chimney came through the roof. I applied Eternabond to fix the problem. It stuck to the bricks and to the shingles and stopped the leak for five years until I got a new roof. Columbian roofers had a heck of a time getting it off tbe bricks, finally just covering it with new flashing. This stuff is amazing.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

I think at some point I'll also do the eternabond thing. Used on my last coach and it worked great.

After being on the roof of our Anthem I noticed the caulking under the awnings. How do/did you get the tape on those seams? My assumption is that the awnings will have to be removed?

Thanks.....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Paul,
the rubber sweep is removed with a couple of screws. Here is the step by step post with lots of photos as I know others are going to have questions about the hows and whys of Eternabond.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/star...id-244908.html
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Paul,
the rubber sweep is removed with a couple of screws. Here is the step by step post with lots of photos as I know others are going to have questions about the hows and whys of Eternabond.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/star...id-244908.html
Thanks Chuck, but the last time I was on the roof I don't remember seeing the rubber sweeps....They are either missing or the awnings on the 2017's don't use them. I'll check today when I get up on the roof.

Any other 2017 owners out there missing awning sweeps, or do you have them?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #9

We recently had our awning come off while driving, causing some damage to the radius piece that joins the wall to the roof. The previous (original) owner had the roof replaced in 2010 by Newmar due to hail damage. He went back and covered ALL the seams with Eternabond.

When the guy got up on the roof to look at the damage to the radius piece, he said "Great! Some @#%#$&% idiot used Eternabond on the seams! We'll never get that off to replace the radius piece without destroying the roof!"

He ended up writing the estimate to repair the radius piece instead of replacing it.

I commend the last owners for using the Eternabond, just glad it was done immediately after the roof was replaced. He did a good job too!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The awnings were changed in 2016. The new awnings are the multi-angle Girard Vision awnings. They are larger and have no sweeps.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
We recently had our awning come off while driving, causing some damage to the radius piece that joins the wall to the roof. The previous (original) owner had the roof replaced in 2010 by Newmar due to hail damage. He went back and covered ALL the seams with Eternabond.

When the guy got up on the roof to look at the damage to the radius piece, he said "Great! Some @#%#$&% idiot used Eternabond on the seams! We'll never get that off to replace the radius piece without destroying the roof!"

He ended up writing the estimate to repair the radius piece instead of replacing it.

I commend the last owners for using the Eternabond, just glad it was done immediately after the roof was replaced. He did a good job too!
You can get it off. It's time consuming but an oscillating tool with a flexible scraper blade works. Also works on Dicor ... worth every penny!!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The awnings were changed in 2016. The new awnings are the multi-angle Girard Vision awnings. They are larger and have no sweeps.
Thanks, didn't want to go to the factory in a couple weeks demanding sweeps for my awnings.....
Old 10-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
That will make the Eternabond project a little easier, for those that want to do it, on the newer models.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Thought - how about using Flexseal instead? It now comes in white and in a can do you can paint it on. I would think it would work - am I missing something????
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond