Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #1

Black Powdery Subtance on Inside Rear Wheels

Does anyone know what the black powdery substance on the inside of the rear wheel is? 2015 Anthem.
TDM En Route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Black powdery substance.... First thought is brake dust. Is it on the Tag?
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If it is on the tag axle, it is a wheel seal. It looks like a powder, but it is 90 weight oil with dirt stuck on the outside making it look like powder. Put some on you finger and see if it is oily. There have been a number of them that have had to be replaced, both of mine included. Call Spartan, they are very aware of the issue.

Does it look like this? http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/do-i...ed-232449.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Yes. On inside rim. Just started. Also, today when retracting jacks, very noisy. Not sure if that's related. Have you heard of a vent plug leak?
TDM En Route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM En Route View Post
Yes. On inside rim. Just started. Also, today when retracting jacks, very noisy. Not sure if that's related. Have you heard of a vent plug leak?
The jack noise is not related. That is another problem. Equalizer will have you drain a quart of fluid and add a quart of marvel mystery oil. There is also a bleed procedure done with an allen wrench, but none of it worked on mine and the jacks had to be replaced. Equalizer can walk you through the process. Also raising the jacks all the way then retracting them can also get the air out. Do not do it to many time in a row or it will burn the motor out. Equalizer did that on my MH

Yes, I have heard of vent plugs leaking, both of mine were broken as was the hub seals on both sides. There has also be reports of overfill from the factory. Take the special wrench that was in your box of books, it's black and remove the center hub cab. Wipe everything down and see if the oil is above the fill mark...if it is, it is over full, drain the excess off. Also gently snug the bolts down and the allen head screws, it might stop your leak. Do not over tighten, just snug.

Here is a video that Glenn did on his wheel seal replacements.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Make sure your tires on the duel axle are the same size tire. I had black powder last summer and ended up with mismatched tires, causing the smaller tire on each outer dual to be slowly "sanded" down by the pavement. Had the coach 8 months before the damaged showed up on a long trip. (naturally in the middle of nowhere). Previous owner rotated the tires not realizing the tires on the front were larger. (tire shop missed it to)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Mark

Always wondered what "The Rest of the Story" was with your mismatched tire problem.... Sounds like the problem was the owner and the dealer just never looked? Interesting. Hard to believe the previous owner would have been unaware of the tire size difference, but that is something new to me on my coach different from my Dynasty, but certainly, something I would have read up on. Thanks for finishing your story.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Yes. On inside rim. Just started. Have you heard of a vent plug leak?
Yes, for the tags. I had the hub recall/repair done at Spartan June 2014. Hubs still leaked, one enough that I could see the oil level drop slightly after a few thousand miles. On 10/2015 Spartan replaced the caps. The new caps have two O-rings, the old only one. So far so good, no excessive leaking.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, brought up a good point. In 2014 there was a recall on the wheel seals. orange to blue I think. I had the new wheel seals on mine from the factory and both of those failed. It was one of those, "it's the first time we have seen the new seals fail" I believe there is another new seal after that. I'll have to pull a cover off of mine and see what color the new seals are.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
That's what I was told the vents have a campaign to replace them from red to a new blue vent. spin the center cover off with that big oil filter looking wrench and make sure theres oil in them. if so you are ok til you see a Spartan dealer pull in, they can bang them out and in in no time.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #11

what chuck said.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #12

Anyone that has a leak from the outer seal ane/or has had them replaced with updated parts should remove the Spartan emblem/retainer and check the length of the bolt in the center on the back side that secures it to the hub. I understand that some of the retrofit or replacement seals stood a little more proud of the surface of the hub and the Sparten emblem retainer bolt screwed into the vent hole of the seal and caused an additional leak. When my seals were replaced at Spartan they caught this after the job was finished and removed the retainer and sure enough it had screwed it's way into the new seal damaging it. Ended up cutting about 1/2 off the threads of the retainer to provide clearance. I have no idea of what combination of parts causes this but it is easy enough to check that there is clearance once the emblem is screwed into place.

Chuck I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing is what happened to you. Spartan supposedly issued a bulletin about the retainer bolt impacting the new seal causing it to leak.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #13

Thanks for sharing the video...it was well done
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Anyone that has a leak from the outer seal ane/or has had them replaced with updated parts should remove the Spartan emblem/retainer and check the length of the bolt in the center on the back side that secures it to the hub. I understand that some of the retrofit or replacement seals stood a little more proud of the surface of the hub and the Sparten emblem retainer bolt screwed into the vent hole of the seal and caused an additional leak. When my seals were replaced at Spartan they caught this after the job was finished and removed the retainer and sure enough it had screwed it's way into the new seal damaging it. Ended up cutting about 1/2 off the threads of the retainer to provide clearance. I have no idea of what combination of parts causes this but it is easy enough to check that there is clearance once the emblem is screwed into place.

Chuck I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing is what happened to you. Spartan supposedly issued a bulletin about the retainer bolt impacting the new seal causing it to leak.
NICE tip...