Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Black streaks on front wheel

I know there was a thread on this but can't find it. I've got streaks on the passenger side wheel that radiate from the hub. Not sure what to do. This has been happening since they were serviced at the Spartan factory. We have went over some rough roads. Any advise?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

Might be oil from the front hubs. Did one of the plugs get lost??? There might be a small cap over it.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #3

You should have received a hub cover removal tool with your coach. Mine was in my file box as it is small and flat. It allows you to spin off the chrome hub cover by removing the Spartan logo bolt. You may have to also pop off a couple of the wheel nut chrome covers
to remove the chrome hub cover. Once the chrome hub cover is removed, you will see the hub with oil bath cover indicating oil level. You may have an oil seal cover leak or just loose bolts as my coach had. Tommy
Ourrvtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Search Tag Hub Oil Leak for previous post and I posted some pictures of my tag hub.
Ourrvtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Here's part of a post. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/a-li...ml#post2793041

Removed the hub cover and inspect where the leak is coming from. Hopefully it was overfilled if it was just service at spartan.

My hub seals on the tag axle are broken, hopefully that is not the problem with the front hubs.

I did just saw some new 2016 deliveries at LD that had oil on the wheels from the front hubs.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
I know there was a thread on this but can't find it. I've got streaks on the passenger side wheel that radiate from the hub. Not sure what to do. This has been happening since they were serviced at the Spartan factory. We have went over some rough roads. Any advise?
DoggieDaddy
Front wheel or rear wheel?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Front hub.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
My left tag did it once at about 22,000 miles. Cleaned it off and checked it every time we stopped. That was 5-6,000 miles ago, hasn't happened again.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
At Spartan a few owners had similar leaking issues. Most were caused by loose bolts holding the seal cap on and tightening w Locktite (blue not red) seemed the fix. A few guys had a bad seal but that seems more rare than just loose bolts. The recommended fix is use the Spartan hub cap tool, remove wheel cover, clean up hub w grease cutting cleaner, check bolts holding seal. If you have to remove the whole cap there is drain holes. Drain hub oil, remove cap, clean everything. Reinstall. Fill axle using removable plastic end cap until level is between lines. Spartan said a little drainage due to heating is acceptable.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #10

Here is page from the manual. At Spartan school last year they replaced all the vent caps in my tag and front hubs from a soft red rubber plug to blue version made from a harder material. It fixed the oil streaking I had.
Keith

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1445727965.720986.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	110308

Moscow, TN
2013 Aspire DEQ IFS
Buick Enclave
Keith W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Front hub.
We had a similar issue when we first picked up our 2010 Phaeton - turned out to be a "cracked" hub cover. Someone had evidently over tightened the cover and cracked it. I think you need to tighten the screws in a every other one pattern going around the cover to seat it correctly.

Turned out to be an easy fix though - new cover/gasket and refill with oil...
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #12

Follow up

Made the inspection. Found no seal leak. Hub was well full of oil. Maybe a little overfilled. There was a slight amount of oil on the bottom side of the cap but the cap seemed tight and not compromised. I have red caps BTW. Others mentioned green and blue. Don't know what that means.

For now I think it was an over full condition combined with the rough roads we encountered. I will continue to monitor.

Thanks everyone for the support and knowledge.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Had a similar issue with my 2015 CS. At Spartan academy, they said that the hub could be slightly overfilled in production and some leakage would diminish as the extra oil seeped out. After 11,000 miles I still had leakage. Went to Lazy Days who said it was a bad seal and supposedly repaired it under warranty. Drove to Charlotte area and had 1st year service done there at Spartan. There was still some leakage from the hub at 13,00 miles. They discovered that LD had NOT replaced they seal, but rather, simply siliconed the old one back in place! Spartanreplaced the seal and problems disappeared shortly thereafter. Cross LD off the list of chassis repair facilities of choice!
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Made the inspection. Found no seal leak. Hub was well full of oil. Maybe a little overfilled. There was a slight amount of oil on the bottom side of the cap but the cap seemed tight and not compromised. I have red caps BTW. Others mentioned green and blue. Don't know what that means.
For now I think it was an over full condition combined with the rough roads we encountered. I will continue to monitor.
Thanks everyone for the support and knowledge.
DoggieDaddy
Over filling will do that.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote