Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #1

Black tank fumes in Master Bedroom

Have had about 3 instances in the last month of sewer smell getting in our Master bedroom only.....and it only comes in during the middle of the night.....

I took the panel off of the water storage bay and checked all fitting and connections.....all look good.

Went on the roof and checked all vents.....look good and are venting........Pewwwww.

Possibilities:
Had 87 degree day and then a cool still calm night with the awnings out.........possible warm black tank venting out and hitting cool air that settles down and seeps back into slide for the master bedroom???

There was a faint smell in the wet bay........but not as close to strong as was in the bedroom last night. Ended up using the rear bath exhaust fan in reverse to bring are in the coach and the smell subsided and during the day here now with the fan off....all is good......?

We have been parked in our lot here for about a month now so not moving.......nothing really to loosen up or crack/break.

I may put a longer vent pipe extension on the roof and see if that helps..........they are really short and close to the roof.......never would pass building code on a house.

Let me know your thoughts guys........

Mitch
Hdmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Have you filled your black tank to about 75% full and then dumping

I had that happen a few months back and once I filled up the black tank 3 times to 75% all cleaned out and no more smell
Old 09-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Have you been using the washing machine? If not, the p-trap can dry out and grey tank can smell just as bad.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #4

Were you sleeping with bathroom exhaust fan on extracting air? If so, and if you had no windows open, it is likely that your vent fan is pulling air from the gray tank via the washer drain. Even more likely if you have not used your washer since you last stopped and the p-trap is dry.

Crack a window up front at night and run the clothes washer thru a cycle to put water back in the p-trap.
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

I just changed our Air Admittance Valves throughout the inside of our Anthem. We were getting an odor while traveling and believe the valves were malfunctioning because they are cheap and were most likely pushing odors inside our cabin. Purchased the parts from Home Depot for about 60 bucks. Several threads on this issue. Studor Air Admittance Valves from Home Depot.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

You might want to try this product. I've used it for years and can definitely recommend it when used as directed.
I first started using it when a friend recommended it to clean my holding tanks when the level sensors quit working. In nearly eight years since it has been the best holding tank product I've come across.
My neighbor was having odour issues with his Fleetwood Revolution. I gave him some HC to try and now after going through the summer without odour, he too is a believer.

Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3LT6SKVEPR34Y
Old 09-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #7

Since we are fulltiming in the coach all our sinks and washer get used daily......I did a full fill of the black water 3 times this morning......We have used and I just ran out of my Happy Camper..........BUT even with out that and all the things that we are using daily it is weird that we are getting a very random once in a while waft.....I do not run the exhaust fans unless I drop nuclear.......hahaha......otherwise the air or the heat is running.

I will check our air admittance valves.......but then I would thing I would get odor in the baths or kitchen.....this is confined only to the master bedroom.......could it get sucked in from the air conditioner unit mounted in rear??? It should be sealed off from outside air..........but????

Mitch
Hdmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Gray tank smell and black tank (sewage) smell are very different from each other. You said black tank; is it actually gray tank smell? The air admittance valves are in the gray tank system. One for each bathroom sink, one for the washer, one for the kitchen sink.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

Any one know how to change the air valve in the rear bathroom of a 44 b floor plan? I can’t seem to see where it’s located as all there is are drawers that not allow to get under the sink?
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I have watched a video on youtube about this issue on another coach (Jayco Seneca Super C) but the root cause was actually the vent pipe not being properly sealed to the roof line (under the vent cap) only verified after weeks of chasing intermittent events (kinda like you) with the issue always returning.

You couldn't tell from looking at it because there is a cap on those vent pipes so you can't actually see the real vent pipe. When removed, it was clear the vent pipe had not been properly potted at the factory before they installed the vent cap. This meant that sometimes the odors could migrate into the coach. The person doing the work showed if you remove the cap you can see very clearly if that is the issue. You could be chasing this for sometime and not actually get to the root cause if you don't verify this is not the situation on your rig. However, you will need to re-seal the cap either way even the vent pipe is not the issue. But at least at that point you have a visual verification. The person in that video (the owner) also checked the other vent pipes and sure enough they all had no potting between the pipe and the roof cut-out. So he fixed all of them. Workmanship was the culprit covered up by a nice looking vent cap.

Of course one would expect the Entegra production process has a higher level of quality assurance and control, but I always like the "Trust but Verify" approach on issues like this. No manufacture is perfect and escapes can happen. It's not likely a design issue, but rather a production assembly issue of not following all the Manufacturing Instructions (MI's). I've seen a similar thing on my 2018 Dynamax Isata 5 branded motorhome where different owners are experiencing trouble filling the diesel fuel (slow or backs up) all the time. It turned out the design of the fuel full system is good, but the production installation is not per the drawings (on some coaches) so it created an issue where the angle of the fuel fill (long run) was not properly done and the actual fuel tank fill port was higher than the fill line and vent line.

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #11

I have had this issue from time to time and it appears remarkably random.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Any one know how to change the air valve in the rear bathroom of a 44 b floor plan? I can’t seem to see where it’s located as all there is are drawers that not allow to get under the sink?
I changed mine a few weeks ago by removing both left side drawers; my drawers came out easily once I found the release points on both drawer slides.

The valve is to the far left up near the bottom of the vanity top; it’s pretty much a one-handed repair. On mine there was very little clearance to easily put in any valve other than the same one Entegra installed (Ayrlett 6). The stack pipe is high and the pipe diameter is smaller than the threaded end of the Studor valve. I did manage to adapt a Studor in the back bath, but under the mid bath sink there is not enough head room to use any kind of adapter.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:29 AM   #13

If you are using a three inch sewer line form a p-trap on the line and it will stop any fumes coming up from the sewer. I have to do this to mine all of the time I am hooked up or I will have fumes in the bedroom/back bath area. Another way to test for this is to close the grey tank valve and only open it when ready to dump the grey tank.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I changed mine a few weeks ago by removing both left side drawers; my drawers came out easily once I found the release points on both drawer slides.

The valve is to the far left up near the bottom of the vanity top; it’s pretty much a one-handed repair. On mine there was very little clearance to easily put in any valve other than the same one Entegra installed (Ayrlett 6). The stack pipe is high and the pipe diameter is smaller than the threaded end of the Studor valve. I did manage to adapt a Studor in the back bath, but under the mid bath sink there is not enough head room to use any kind of adapter.
A fernco no hub coupler will work to adapt a stud or valve to the half bath
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank