Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

Blowing fuses while towing

Curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I pulled our toad for the first time last weekend. I continued to blow both the left turn signal/ brake light and right turn signal/ brake light fuses on the chasis. My Anthem shows they both use a 7.5 amp fuse. I tried 10 amp and it blew. They blow just as soon as I test the lights. I then tried a 15 amp fuse in each and everything worked fine. I called Spartan Customer Support today. The rep was friendly but i didn't learn anything. She said her information showed 7.5 amp. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

Electrical shorts also cause fuse failure. An electrical short can be from the hot wire to ground or a hot wire to neutral. In either case, the fuse will open and shut the circuit off.
Fasteddie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Yes, a direct short will blow a 30 amp fuse as fast as a 5 amp fuse. I would start at the plug connectors on the toad and MH.
papaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have an Aspire with a Jeep toad and I have never blown any fuse. Matter of fact, I've never blown any fuse in the Aspire for any circuit. The only electric anomality I've had is tripping the Genny output CB once under a heavy load.

On my previous RV, Monaco, I had a similar problem to yours and discovered a poorly manufactured 6 cent bulb that had solder across contacts that shorted out the circuit under vibration. I'd check looking for a wire rubbing raw or a stray wire strand or solder blob inside a connector. My suggestion would be check your toad and rv pigtail connectors.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Was the toad wired and towed before the Anthem?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
If it worked with a 15amp fuse it is too much load and not a short. If you can, plug the toad into another vehicle such as a pickup truck, if you blow those fuses it will confirm problem is in toad (which I believe it is) and not the Anthem.

BTW- is the toad system integrated into the OEM wiring utilzing diodes or is it a segregated system with bulbs added to the tail light housings. My hunch is it is an integrated system and possibly diodes are bad or installed incorrectly allowing power to backfeed placing too much load on the Anthem. All just IMHO
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneal View Post
If it worked with a 15amp fuse it is too much load and not a short. If you can, plug the toad into another vehicle such as a pickup truck, if you blow those fuses it will confirm problem is in toad (which I believe it is) and not the Anthem.

BTW- is the toad system integrated into the OEM wiring utilzing diodes or is it a segregated system with bulbs added to the tail light housings. My hunch is it is an integrated system and possibly diodes are bad or installed incorrectly allowing power to backfeed placing too much load on the Anthem. All just IMHO
Diodes are just what I was thinking. It almost sounds like the diodes were not installed and it is getting current feedback to the MH blowing the fuses. That was why I was curious if this was a new wiring job on the toad, or if it had been towed before.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #8

Thanks for all the responses. It is the first time the toad has been hooked up to anything. It was a new install.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad K View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It is the first time the toad has been hooked up to anything. It was a new install.
That is a starting point. Did you have the toad wired or DIY? If it was professionally wired check to see that diodes are installed. If it's blowing different fuses, it sounds like no diodes installed on those lights.

If it was professionally wired and the Entegra does not blow fuses on it's own, I would take it back and let them figure it out.

If it was a DIY project tells us how you wired the toad, be glad to try and help.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with Chuck. If it was a DIY project just be advised a Jeep requires either a special harness that only connects to the tail end lights or a diode wiring setup. Jeep uses a CANBUS wiring system and you cannot just splice into the left and right system and connect to the RV. There are special harnesses available from places like MOPAR, ETrailer, or even CoolTech. Prices between $75-$150. If you know what you are doing you can wire up to the tail lights using heavy diodes from places like RoadMaster and the cost of 4 diodes would be about $80 not including wire. I like the MOPAR harness the most and you can get the Jeep dealer to install it with warranty issues unaffected.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, when I wired my Jeep Liberty I was able to find the diodes at Radio Shack for only a few dollars....shocked me! I don't know if they still carry them but worth a try, if anyone needs them.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Radio Shack has changed since you and I were younger. I went in recently looking for simple 14 ga wire and they didn 't have it. The young Gen-Y sales guy said they were "more of a cell phone store now". Last week the web had an article that Radio Shack was going to close over 1100 stores this year. Between the web and their choice to be a "phone store" they have shot themselves in the foot. IMHO
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I don't doubt that a bit, the last few times I was in RS, they didn't have anything close to what I needed. I wired the liberty in 2003 so it was a few years ago.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who installed the wiring on the toad?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote