RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Bolt be gone

Just wandering if anyone else had this issue! (2015 Aspire)
I was under my coach doing a lubing fitting when I noticed a bolt missing on the pivot arm that goes from the dually axel to the tag. It's a 7/8 x 8 grade 8 bolt. The u bracket that goes to the tag should have 2 of those bolts, one was completely gone. Not sure how it would have come out, I could not replace it on the tire side, bolt is to long.The other side there is a brake actuator and bracket in the way. Called Spartan, the said they never heard of this issue but could not help because I was out of warranty. Went to my local guy, he said the tag rim, brakes and everything on that side would have to be removed. Decided to call my extended warranty company, they said it was not covered, what a waste of money.
THE FIX.
What I did was removed the actuator, ground one of the flat spots on the bolt about 1/8 inch which gave me enough to get by the bracket. Drove the dually on blocks, let the tag hang down. This helped line up the bolt holes, also had to put a bottle jack under one side of the u bracket for fine tuning. Got the bolt in, put on a nut with neoprene lock. Because of lack of room, I can only get about 150 lbs of torque, table says 450- 500, no way. Think I will be fine because of the neo nut from coming loose. Next time I'm in the shop, I will have them check it.
Once again, has anyone had this problem, hope the fix helps.

JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have not noticed a bolt missing yet, but I will check before our trip on Friday just to make sure.

jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryF View Post
I was under my coach doing a lubing fitting when I noticed a bolt missing on the pivot arm that goes from the dually axel to the tag. It's a 7/8 x 8 grade 8 bolt. The u bracket that goes to the tag should have 2 of those bolts, one was completely gone. Not sure how it would have come out, I could not replace it on the tire side, bolt is to long.The other side there is a brake actuator and bracket in the way. Called Spartan, the said they never heard of this issue but could not help because I was out of warranty. Went to my local guy, he said the tag rim, brakes and everything on that side would have to be removed. Decided to call my extended warranty company, they said it was not covered, what a waste of money.
THE FIX.
What I did was removed the actuator, ground one of the flat spots on the bolt about 1/8 inch which gave me enough to get by the bracket. Drove the dually on blocks, let the tag hang down. This helped line up the bolt holes, also had to put a bottle jack under one side of the u bracket for fine tuning. Got the bolt in, put on a nut with neoprene lock. Because of lack of room, I can only get about 150 lbs of torque, table says 450- 500, no way. Think I will be fine because of the neo nut from coming loose. Next time I'm in the shop, I will have them check it.
If you can’t get a bolt in without going through all this how would the original get out?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

The bolt was gone, not sure if it broke in half and vibrated out or if it was never installed. Although I think I see washer marks. Not sure what happened to it!!!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryF View Post
THE FIX.
Interesting, we took our 2017 Anthem into Spartan for the first oil change. Spartan did their 44 point inspection and took me into the pit and pointed out that this bolt was missing. Even more interesting is that we went to the Spartan school when the coach was new (picked it up from the dealer 10 days before) and as part of the school Spartan does the same 44 point inspection as a courtesy to those attending the school. At that time they did not report a bolt missing.

They were able to find a replacement bolt in Charlotte and installed it without jumping through the same hoops you had to. Maybe it was because they have a pit and can get better access. Your post illustrates that this is something everyone should check and I posted my experience with this two years ago. Now your experience should highlight the importance of having this checked at every lube job.

BTW, I have the Spartan receipt somewhere and probably could find it again. Only mention that since Spartan is telling you they have never heard of this issue :-)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Now that we have the same problem on 2 coaches, would it be possible for someone to post a picture of what to look for?
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: 450-500 FtLbs, sounds like you need a TORQUE MULTIPLIER, like they use on Class-A lugnuts in that range; they maybe available for free loaner w/ deposit, not sure?
Old 10-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Would do that if I knew how, not real good a posting pics. Sorry
Old 10-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...que+lultiplier