Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Boyd's Campground, Key West

For my first official trip with our new Entegra DEQ we decided to head to Boyd's Campground in Key West for 4 days. We're not taking the toad, just a couple of bikes. Any advice about Boyd's or Key West will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Wineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Boyd's is in a great location but it is EXTREMELY tight and crowded. Make absolutely sure they know how long and wide your coach is with slides extended and get assurances that you will fit. I would not be at all surprised if you have trouble getting in and out of there. Please let us know how you make out. As it is now, I would not take my 45-footer there. Would like to get feedback from you after your stay.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We've been to Boyd's twice with our 39' Allegro and have had no problems. Yes the campground is tight but there are longer spots and the help is very professional; they know where you can fit. They will assist you in getting into your space if you want them to and there are plenty of 44~45 footers there. You may wish that you took your toad as it is 5 miles to Mallory Square and Duval Street so unless you are avid riders (which we are) you may tire of that quickly. There is always Enterprise rental which we used the first time. They know where Boyd's is. We love the place and are already booked for 2 weeks next January.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
They literally trimmed about four palms and trees to get us backed into our site. Be sure they have someone assist you back into your site (two or three people might be better).
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
We've been to Boyd's twice with our 39' Allegro and have had no problems. Yes the campground is tight but there are longer spots and the help is very professional; they know where you can fit. They will assist you in getting into your space if you want them to and there are plenty of 44~45 footers there. You may wish that you took your toad as it is 5 miles to Mallory Square and Duval Street so unless you are avid riders (which we are) you may tire of that quickly. There is always Enterprise rental which we used the first time. They know where Boyd's is. We love the place and are already booked for 2 weeks next January.
Thanks for that good information. Maybe I will take my 45-footer after all.

Where do you park your toad in downtown KW?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Thanks for that good information. Maybe I will take my 45-footer after all.

Where do you park your toad in downtown KW?
Interestingly, since last year they have changed to the Kiosk parking system in "downtown" KW where you pay to park in each block. It runs about $2 per hour and though it is annoying to have to pay, there are more spots available now. You can also fined more spots in the lots off of Greene street now. If you don't mine a little walking, there are still free spots north of Simonton Street.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #7

If you are disabled you can park in any city kiosk or metered parking in Fl. for nothing. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

We did boyds on our first trip in our 44 dlq let them know when you will be there you will be ok. Call enterprise rental car in key west ask for chad tell him johnny from las vegas sent you slip him 20 you will be pleasantly surprised. As you prolly will want a car its a pretty good ride to anywhere from boyds the area around boyds is more residential, and not much around it it looks a bit shabby however its perfectly safe. If you go to the left as you pull out of boys about 3/4 of a mile down you will see on the left an old brown lobster sign. turn in there after 2 oclock live lobsters 6 bucks each right off the boat ask for Cepeda. hes my main man there all the fish you want still wiggling. If you have any issues with the rig Rubios road service is in big pine key Julius is a very good service tech and they travel to you. PARTY ON DUDE !
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Happiness at Boyd's depends on what site you get. The site they put us in was for a 45 footer and it took them 6 people, 2 chainsaws and 20 minutes to get us in, literally! All I did when I was there, was worry about how I was going to get out! It is tight in certain areas and ok in others. I will not go back because what they say will handle a 45 footer is, in some cases, mighty optimistic! JMHO but good luck!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

We go every Christmas sites are a bit tight but no real problem we were in an itasca 42qd (43') we fit fine with our gmc crewcab toad. If you like pizza try Roostica (great service and food) also I would recomend Hogfish grill, both are an easy bike ride (1 mile or so) we are not "avid" bike riders but we ride our bike to key west it is an easy ride if you are in decent shape. The staff at boyds is over the top very helpful
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup. tight as hell but it's the closest to Key West. I would stay farther away just to have a little room if I ever decide to do it again.

When you see the young lady in the golf cart, slip her a $20 and tell her it's from Don in Jersey
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
We go every Christmas sites are a bit tight but no real problem we were in an itasca 42qd (43') we fit fine with our gmc crewcab toad. If you like pizza try Roostica (great service and food) also I would recomend Hogfish grill, both are an easy bike ride (1 mile or so) we are not "avid" bike riders but we ride our bike to key west it is an easy ride if you are in decent shape. The staff at boyds is over the top very helpful
Tom its not the ride getting there its the ride back unless you are only riding to the boring hogfish grill or 1 mile away stuff, I don't know about you, but when we go to key west at 2 am its just a start for us and cab rides back and fourth is 60 bucks so if you want spend 60 on a cab or get a Cadillac every day for 30 bucks its a no brainer for all the other runs you will need etc. you have a toad the op does not and its there maiden voyage too. they will have fun in this manner been there done that. got the t shirt I am not sure how old the Itasca is but this will be a new coach and they will need a car. Trust me
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #13

There is a bus service from entrance to downtown key west . Cheap reliable and you can drink . ( we only have bikes , no toad )
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Yup. tight as hell but it's the closest to Key West. I would stay farther away just to have a little room if I ever decide to do it again.

When you see the young lady in the golf cart, slip her a $20 and tell her it's from Don in Jersey
Blue water key is the bomb. stayed there 3 weeks great bike ride and fishing Mile marker 14 if you want more room

Tags
campground