Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #1

Breakdown Kit

I know we have a significant number of new owners in our group, and as the Summer travel season kicks off I though it might be a good time to inventory the emergency kit to be used in a breakdown situation.

Our breakdown kit consists of (3) weighted base collapsible reflective road triangles. We also carry several old fashioned road flares. I also have a very large extinguisher for problems outside the Motorhome.

https://www.amazon.com/CARTMAN-Warni...83&sr=8-3&th=1

I also have some electric LED markers, and a reflective vest for myself.

In an emergency, the triangles, markers, and flares should be spaced a significant distance behind the vehicle. I periodically see a person on the side of the road and they have their emergency marking devices stacked within 50’ of the vehicle. This does no good to following traffic.

There should be a minimum of 100’ between each marking device.

Here is an article discussing proper marking device location. https://cdllife.com/2017/placing-war...gles-properly/

I hope this discussion stimulates some thought before an emergency occurs.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent post Matt. Having been caught in the situation you are prepared for, I was not. All I had were a couple of triangle reflectors and that wasn't even close to being adequate. It seems like people ignore emergency flashers. We had the engine air compressor explode, about 4PM loosing engine oil and taking out the steering pump, fuel boost pump, etc. I could not move. It turned in to a long rainy night on I-75 waiting over 6 hours for the tow truck. Very few could see me in the rain and it was an experience I don't ever want to go through again. I just purchase 3 more of the emergency flashing LED at Harbor Freight and changed the batteries to better quality alkaline. I didn't think about the vest and that is going to be added, thank you! https://www.harborfreight.com/search...ncy%20triangle

From that experience, I now carry a lot more emergency equipment, parked by happy hour, and don't drive in the rain.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Hi Matt

Yes, thanks for the post and the recommendation for the reflective vest. That is an excellent idea!! I have the three triangular reflectors, and I have two smaller flashing RED LED lights (Harbor Freight) that I would sit in front of those reflectors if I find myself in a breakdown situation (thankfully, not yet).

I keep thinking that I will see a professional battery operated, big and bright emergency light package on the par of the LEDs and brightness of highway patrol cars for sale, but I have not seen one yet. Some are actually too bright and blind oncoming vehicles which is too much brightness, but something beyond what I have now will be on the purchase list as soon as it becomes available. I wish a couple of amber emergency lights were built right into the rear cap of the coach, up near the top would be great.

Just ordered the emergency vest.... $11.00 at Amazon, where else?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Great post. We carry triangles as well as 2 sets of flashing led emergency lights. Time to check the batteries today on them . Great idea on the vest that is now on my list. I have also had on my list for awhile the large fire extinguisher. Guess what I will be doing today.

Thanks for posting the reminder as sometimes we forget things like this till it is to late.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Matt. We've been RVing since 2007 without these simple emergency items. Will have them in the future, odds are likely to catch up!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #6

I take the batteries out of the lights and keep them in the same location====I found out the hard way!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I recommend placing your E Kit on the passenger side of the coach fir safer access. I also have a smaller kit in the toad. I have a fear of not being able to get all the way off the road in a emergency
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Matt, thanks for the reminder! Am ordering some new items to compliment what I already have.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #9

OP....great post and link! Thanks!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I have to go to Harbor Freight tomorrow anyhow, $4.49. Doesn't pay not to have one, been there on that one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/reflec...rge-94701.html
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #11

I carry triangles and flashers in the rear-most passenger side compartment (by the electrical disconnects). I also sometimes carry a pair of flashers in the door in the steps.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Matt, thanks for the reminder and list.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Matt, thanks for the reminder and list.
X2. I have had to use my triangles twice in the past year. A good safety procedure when placing them the recommended 10 feet, 100 feet and 200 feet behind your coach is to carry them chest high so the vehicles approaching from the rear can see you better.
I use one of my reflective vests(the Carrhart) every travel day when I get out to check the straps holding the toad to the dolly. I have another vest for the DW if she needs to get out on the side of the road for some reason. They are carried in the seat back pockets along with 3 cell LED Maglites.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I carry triangles and flashers in the rear-most passenger side compartment (by the electrical disconnects). I also sometimes carry a pair of flashers in the door in the steps.
Good idea for a couple of the flasher/LED lights to carry in the step drawer. I picked up a couple more at Harbor Freight along with the vest on sale for $4.99 yesterday.