Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #29

As far as KOA's...... I avoid... 12 years full timing...been there done that
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
On the flip side, we had to bail out of Fort Wilderness in the middle of our last visit.

The Disney Co. went well above the call of duty and completely made us whole, and did so in such a non-confrontational manner that we are even bigger fans.

Due to the circumstances they also retained the value of the park tickets.

If we lived closer to Orlando, we would go just for the campground.

-Matt

+1
We live 30 min away and go quite often just for the weekend (having young kids). Hilda (who many of us book through) taught me a trick if you can't find your exact dates to book as an example a Friday-Tuesday, even if you just wanted the weekend. Then once getting there let them know you need to leave on Sunday and they will with no questions refund the extra days. Very customer friendly!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #31

KOAs are infinitely variable in what you get. Other than a handful (less than 10, possibly less than 5) corporate-owned parks, they are all franchises where basically any campground can become part of the network and get branding in exchange for royalties (and KOA charges pretty hefty royalites on EVERYTHING than goes through the camp store register - we workamped for KOAs and know several owners).

KOA does have an inspection team, but they aren't looking at site utilities, levelness, ease of site access as their criteria. They're looking for non-site amenities: pools, disc golf, signage that complies with the KOA standard, activities for kids, and how close the bathroom is to the furthest site.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
recently changed travel plans and mallard point in decatur ala said they were keeping the $20 deposit i made.............while i didn't really like tossing a twenty in the trash, i figured that compared to what i spend for the rv life, the $20 was meaningless............no sense sweating the small stuff........i can decide not to stay there in the future if it bugged me that much.............it didn't..............and before anyone responds, yes i am retired and living on a fixed income...............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
KOAs are infinitely variable in what you get. Other than a handful (less than 10, possibly less than 5) corporate-owned parks, they are all franchises where basically any campground can become part of the network and get branding in exchange for royalties (and KOA charges pretty hefty royalites on EVERYTHING than goes through the camp store register - we workamped for KOAs and know several owners).

KOA does have an inspection team, but they aren't looking at site utilities, levelness, ease of site access as their criteria. They're looking for non-site amenities: pools, disc golf, signage that complies with the KOA standard, activities for kids, and how close the bathroom is to the furthest site.

Michelle
Agree about how much they can differ....we always use the KOA on the west side of Glacier and would venture it's one of KOA's best. In any case RVParkReviews is your friend and of course recommendations on this owner's forum.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #34

Recently had to cancel out on the Nirvc rally in Thackerville not due to an emergency but because life does not always adhere to your plans. I knew their cancellation policy and knew that it would cost me a $100 to cancel even though it was more than 90 days before the event. I knew but that didnt mean i liked it or agreed with their policy. No more early registration for me. Will take my chances to grab a spot closer to event time.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
No more early registration for me. Will take my chances to grab a spot closer to event time.
I still have problems making travel arrangements to far in advance. We change direction all the time as we travel and my cancellation fees would be high. A few years ago when diesel dropped below $2. a gallon, it was hard traveling that way, everybody was on the road. Last year, not much of a problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
I agree that KOA's vary greatly. While I don't visit KOA's as a preference, in some areas the best campground available is the KOA. An example is Fort Collins, CO where I stayed last Sept. The KOA there is the best campground for miles around.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
That's a bit disconcerting. We use KOAs just because most of them can accommodate a coach our size and meet a certain standard you can count on. We ran into lots of problems around the country with that. If I were with you and didn't use KOAs, I'd have a hard time planning a trip. We'd have to stay in some real dives if KOAs were not available. We've yet to be burned by them and I'm sorry for your treatment.
Glad you found some good ones, our experience (7 years) is just the opposite. Old, dated and not maintained, narrow, muddy, short sites, tight turns and low tree branches. Most not what I would call big rig friendly. Mostly inexperienced unhelpful staff. All at a high price. Our last attempt provided an unlevel site with a view of a trash dumpster, an uphill run to the sewer and a bad leg on the power requiring use of the genset for part of the night. The worst of it was calls to the campground and later complaints to corporate were ignored. What a deal for $50. Won't happen again.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #38

I've only stayed at 2 KOAs but at those 2 I experienced the same conditions as Rob. That gave me reason to pass on koas when looking for a place to stay
Old 03-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
I'm glad your personal experience gives you confidence in KOA. We are new at RVing, we bought our first coach 4 years ago last month and have a little over 40,000 MH miles and something over 300 nights in RV parks. We traveled a lot for business and developed our personal preferences for standards and expectations in hotels and airlines. DW went with Marriott products, I chose Hilton. We knew what quality and amenities to expect in the hotel, worldwide. We thought those expectations would translate to RV park affiliations as in KOA, Good Sam, FMCA, etc. It took a short time to realize an affiliation or franchise name didn't offer guarantee of standards. Our impression of KOA is that they were wonderful when they started but many are outdated, they hang the sign but don't present expected standards. I don't even want to drive my car into Weatherford KOA. Lyman Wyoming KOA is literally a farmers field with crushed grass roads, water, sewer and questionable electrical hookups. That's not to say we haven't stayed at a number or very nice and enjoyable KOA's.

I don't follow them blindly. Every park that we've stayed in I have read reviews on and view the park on Google earth. Don't take me wrong. I should have mentioned that KOA is not our first choice but when we cannot find an alternative in the general area we will opt for a KOA. The only thing we care about is that we can get our coach in and out without fighting trees or tight turns and that we have full hook ups that work. In MOST cases KOAs have accommodated. Looking at the Lyman Wyoming KOA, I would probably avoid that one. The Fort Bridger RV Camp about 7 miles away would be the better choice if we needed to stay in the area. IMHO
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #40

Ah the good ole KOA, we will never stay. Firstly they have a 20yr rule,our Bounder is a 91'. But here's where I got upset, some campgrounds will still allow you in even with a limit if age, guess we're all too old to stay being over 20 huh?
A couple months back I emailed a local KOA, needed a two week extended stay. No response, so I tried again. Nothing. So I hopped in my truck and drove an hour and a half. When I arrived the gal behind the desk said the owner always gets back yo people, it seemed strange. That she herself would contact her. Come to find out the owner owns some properties, one flooded. But that she would contact me soon. She never did.
I called again, and nothing.
This went on for well over two weeks. I've still yet to receive an email, phone call or otherwise. We will not be staying at a KOA. I will gladly curb it if we ever end up having only KOA as an option. No customer service means I don't spend my money. I'm pretty simple in that way, good customer service I'm there, bad to none forget it!
BriBounder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
easy solution, even if its written in fine print, dispute the charge with your credit card holder.......LOL at KOA
And you will lose since it's their policy and printed. All KOA has to do is send the card company printed proof and KOA will keep the money. We had a customer try to dispute an almost $500 purchase, we sent in a copy of the signed receipt and the CC company gave us the money back.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #42

I have cancelled many reservations due to changes in plans for a variety of reasons. Some were KOA's some were not. Every campground sets their policies for their own reasons, and most do have a cancellation policy. So do hotels and various other businesses. It is your responsibility to read the fine print before you make the reservation.

It isn't reasonable for everyone to jump on the KOA bashing either. If you don't like them, don't stay there. I stay in some that are great and some not so much.

The main thing is to not sweat the small stuff, and always try to remember that it is all small stuff. To quote Willie, "Life is too long to worry and too short to cry".

I do agree with the comments about Fort Wilderness. We had a week booked there, and DW decided she didn't like it the first night. I was prepared to forfeit a deposit or whatever, but they refunded my entire balance with no questions.