Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #1

Burning Electrical Odor From Dash A/C

Aside from a previously mentioned chassis clunking sound, the other potentially serious issue is a pronounced electrical burning odor coming from the dash A/C, when operating at the highest A/C fan setting. Additionally, the "recirculation" switch/button appears to be inoperative - if there's a light in that button, it never comes on. The odor isn't present at lower fan settings. The odor does seem to be somewhat intermittent - but when it's there, it's bad. Needless to say we've refrained from running the dash A/C and rely on the generator/coach roof air conditioning to keep the desert heat at bay, until we get home and turn this over to a service center.

Any input or similar experience most appreciated.
WingsThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:38 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
JMO, it's under warranty, run the AC if it quits at least the problem will be easy to find. I had to replace my AC right after the warranty was up. I wish I would have run mine more.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #3

Wingsthree

I will encourage you to go to the button labeled User CP (User Control Panel) and add a signature line or lines. It really helps when you post a question to this forum for all of us to know the make, model, and vintage of your coach. The right answer often depends on knowing all of that information and you will get informarption more likely to be accurate.

Easy to do, and added to each post so it’s always known.

The User CP button is at the top left on the forum page.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #4

Oh, and never had your problem on my 15 Anthem and so far this Cornerstone. Have had the compressor burn up on the Anthem but that was back in the engine compartment.

Call Entegra CS or call TempCon Corp as I believe they make all the dash AC units. Also, depending on vintage of your coach, the heat in the South really overwhelms things like your RandMcNally Infotainment centers and they had some problems on older coaches with getting excessively hot. Mine got so hot one time that I could not touch it. It has a little fan in it that can fail and then it was thermal runaway and led to replacement.

Gary
Old 06-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Wingsthree

I will encourage you to go to the button labeled User CP (User Control Panel) and add a signature line or lines. It really helps when you post a question to this forum for all of us to know the make, model, and vintage of your coach. The right answer often depends on knowing all of that information and you will get informarption more likely to be accurate.

Easy to do, and added to each post so it’s always known.

The User CP button is at the top left on the forum page.

Gary
Gary, thanks for then tip - I already have a signature set up, must be some kind of switch to turn it on?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Whoops, never mind! I wrote those posts from my iPhone, maybe the signature doesn't come through from a smart phone? Anyway, up and running now :-)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #7

yes, dont fully understand, but signature will show up on some formats (iPAD and house desk computer) but no iPhone or something like that. OK, just thought I would remind you.

Did you call EC CS or TempCon and what did they tell you about your smell?

Gary
Old 06-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Chuck, Run it! The only electricity is low voltage, 12 volt, so worse case would be a blown fuse. It will help to find the problem or perhaps even resolve it. If the recirc button doesn’t work that might be your issue and there may already be a blown fuse. The recirc door is driven by a low voltage motor.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
I agree with Chuck, Run it! The only electricity is low voltage, 12 volt, so worse case would be a blown fuse. It will help to find the problem or perhaps even resolve it. If the recirc button doesn’t work that might be your issue and there may already be a blown fuse. The recirc door is driven by a low voltage motor.
OK, helpful info. Now, National Indoor RV and a Spartan repair facility are arguing about "who" the A/C warranty work belongs too. Is it a Spartan/Chassis or Entegra house question? Oh the fun!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The compressor is Spartan, everything else is Entegra. That is the way it was explained to me by Spartan and Entegra.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsThree View Post
Aside from a previously mentioned chassis clunking sound, the other potentially serious issue is a pronounced electrical burning odor coming from the dash A/C, when operating at the highest A/C fan setting. Additionally, the "recirculation" switch/button appears to be inoperative - if there's a light in that button, it never comes on. The odor isn't present at lower fan settings. The odor does seem to be somewhat intermittent - but when it's there, it's bad. Needless to say we've refrained from running the dash A/C and rely on the generator/coach roof air conditioning to keep the desert heat at bay, until we get home and turn this over to a service center.

Any input or similar experience most appreciated.
Might it be your front brakes getting hot enough to burn off the glaze? It's a good thing, but smells like burning electrical. The smoke gets pulled in the cab by the front fan, especially when you aren't moving.
drwaynesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwaynesmith View Post
Might it be your front brakes getting hot enough to burn off the glaze? It's a good thing, but smells like burning electrical. The smoke gets pulled in the cab by the front fan, especially when you aren't moving.
At the point I considered pulling over and getting the fire extinguisher ready, we were cruising at 65 mph down the interstate, so I'm thinking it was not the brakes. Also, the odor was quite sudden. Once I turned the fan down, the odor abated considerably.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #13

I would be very interested in what you determine was the problem. '

Gary
Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
30 yrs fire rescue in the rectum of florida. This is very wrong! Been to a gazilion car fires that started under the dash including several motorhomes. Sorry about the hi jack .

Tags
dash, electric, electrical, odor