Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #15

Michael and I worked at the same large company, car pooled every day and both worked 10-14 hour days, then signed on to work from home most nights/weekends. It took us almost 3 years to get past the "gotta go" and the "gotta get there ASAP" stage we'd been in for the past 25 years. In fact, we ran our 2 yr/24k mile warranty out in 15 months. The majority of our friends were also co-workers and we both knew all the same people. I retired a year after he did, and we sold the house and hit the road, leaving behind all our friends and family. I must admit that we don't talk to each other as much - no more "how was your day, dear?" or "guess who did what at the office today", because we are pretty much together all the time. We also have 2 small dogs (Schnorkies) Schnauzer-Yorkie mix. They can be a wonderful addition to your family, in fact, I tell people we treat our dogs better than we treat our grandkids...well, not really but..... Volunteer opportunities have already been posted, and there is also workkamping although it sounds like you need some time out from the rat race. Bottom line is you are about to go through a major life change, it will be challenging period but oh so worth it. Best of luck to you.
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #16

I will retire next year. Didn't own a business but still have a sense of responsibility to "my business" and staff. However it is time for the next phase of my life. I have a very long list of things I want to do and see. I can't imagine being bored. North America is huge and there are lots of places to explore. Plus I plan to start a YouTube channel to chronicle all of it. That alone will keep me busy. My wife does a lot of craft work which she enjoys and keeps her busy. So I agree with finding a hobby, getting a dog, working on the motor home, and planning and enjoying the adventure. Good luck.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #17

I retired 4 years ago at 57. Was asked to come back and I declined, but 2 years ago was asked to consult. First 6 months in the office everyday working 10-12 hours. Said no more, this is why I retired. Company bought me laptop, verizon jet pack and laser printer, so I can work from the road. Been doing it for last 2 years and love it.

Still able to make a contribution but no longer having the stress of running 60 person department, budget, etc. might be an option you and wife look into.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:12 AM   #18

I know it will be an adjustment And a shift in thoughts. I have the motor home to tend to (my wife calls the other woman) and I enjoy the tinkering. Maybe the wife will finally write a book that she’s talked about over the years.

Regardless, I know we’ll embrace the change and turn the page on the next chapter of our lives.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:22 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Build a HotRod if you are interested in cars, that will keep you busy for a few years! Enjoy the car for awhile, sell it and start another!
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
We sold our business at 53. We took the profit from the business and purchased two commercial properties as we were to young to draw from SEP-IRA's Social Security, etc. We also purchased a couple of fixers houses, fixed them and sold them.

We also got into offshore boats and deep sea fishing, even entered a couple of tournaments. To take up the boredom between fishing seasons, we bought another MH and stated traveling.

We've aged out on offshore fishing, down to one commercial building and now we talk about places we've been over the last 17 years, people we have met and planning the next trip. We never seem to get bored. If we do, we get a hurricane to clean up after
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:34 AM   #21

Downgrade your iPhone or Android device for a basic featureless flip-phone.

Get a pet. Shelter dogs are great.

Make your personal health a priority. Get or stay in shape. Get all your dental work done. LASIK is the best decision I ever made.

Don't travel on any road bigger than two lanes.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
I know it will be an adjustment And a shift in thoughts. I have the motor home to tend to (my wife calls the other woman) and I enjoy the tinkering. Maybe the wife will finally write a book that she’s talked about over the years.

Regardless, I know we’ll embrace the change and turn the page on the next chapter of our lives.
Don't get too excited, yet - Pretty sure the son will need a little help along the way, never as easy as you made it look :-)

So plan a few trips, - No - Plan really do a little research - learn the places you want to visit - find the secrets - make it a real Adventure, Make it, your New Job.

Where do you want to go?

What do you Both enjoy?

Are you still able to get out of the driver's seat and take good long Hikes, really SEE the country?

What sort of Business did you have?

I'd suggest you change toads - something that will get you on a few Off Road Sites - but still easy/soft on the highways.

Being as you are from central Illinois, not really a bad place to start a trip from - Where have you been - what did you see that you both want to see more of?

950 Miles from Golden, Colorado - Great place to start - as a driver how are you in the Mountains? How about driving on Two lane roads?

When will you start this adventure? How long will you go for? Will you be able to slow down and smell the Roses/Cactus?

Lot's to think about - Family and Grand Kids - in my life the DW keeps me close to Family - I still do a little work - consult and Build a House every now and then - and spent a few years taking care of the DMIL (Dear MIL :-))

So two Options (JMHO) - take off - go hard see a lot - Learn a lot - return home -help out a little - Repeat - but now that you have seen more of the USA - SLOW Down, enjoy - return, help a little less - Repeat, learning more and becoming someone like TwoGypsies that has been everywhere and really knows this country.

Other Option would be to just take off and full time - thinking that might not be the best plan, at least right off the bat.

This will be fun to watch and read as you go forward, starting the latest Chapter.

Best of Luck, and report back on what you decide and as you travel.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #23

I used to tell folks that thought they couldn't be replaced to take the Water Test. What is it? Get a container of water. Put your finger in it. Take your finger out. If the hole stays there you can't be replaced. No one ever passed the test.
Life is short. Better find ways to enjoy what you have earned. You don't know how long you will get to enjoy what is left.
Take the great advice about two lane roads and keep the speed down to around 55. Like life, enjoy the journey and not the stops so much.
When I first retired (engineer) I had to resist the urge to hide because I felt like I was playing hooky from work. We bought a 25 year old Class A that was in superb condition but I then proceeded to make it ours by making a bunch of little changes. We would then go camping to test these changes. Now, after five years, I have made almost (ALMOST) all the changes I wanted to make.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #24

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
We're going to look into that. One thing I'm interested in is helping after a disaster. I'm a pretty hand guy so maybe that will also give me some exercise.
This summer we were caretakers on a 44,000 acre ranch. I haven't worked that hard since high school! I told the wife they couldn't pay me enough to do that much work at 71, but we did it for free and loved every minute! Lost 15 lbs and still ate anything i wanted all summer.

As long as you keep the TV off and stay off the internet during the day you will find something you really enjoy that will occupy your time! We focus on what is ahead and don't spend time looking back.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Don't get too excited, yet - Pretty sure the son will need a little help along the way, never as easy as you made it look :-)

So plan a few trips, - No - Plan really do a little research - learn the places you want to visit - find the secrets - make it a real Adventure, Make it, your New Job.

Where do you want to go?

What do you Both enjoy?

Are you still able to get out of the driver's seat and take good long Hikes, really SEE the country?

What sort of Business did you have?

I'd suggest you change toads - something that will get you on a few Off Road Sites - but still easy/soft on the highways.

Being as you are from central Illinois, not really a bad place to start a trip from - Where have you been - what did you see that you both want to see more of?

950 Miles from Golden, Colorado - Great place to start - as a driver how are you in the Mountains? How about driving on Two lane roads?

When will you start this adventure? How long will you go for? Will you be able to slow down and smell the Roses/Cactus?

Lot's to think about - Family and Grand Kids - in my life the DW keeps me close to Family - I still do a little work - consult and Build a House every now and then - and spent a few years taking care of the DMIL (Dear MIL :-))

So two Options (JMHO) - take off - go hard see a lot - Learn a lot - return home -help out a little - Repeat - but now that you have seen more of the USA - SLOW Down, enjoy - return, help a little less - Repeat, learning more and becoming someone like TwoGypsies that has been everywhere and really knows this country.

Other Option would be to just take off and full time - thinking that might not be the best plan, at least right off the bat.

This will be fun to watch and read as you go forward, starting the latest Chapter.

Best of Luck, and report back on what you decide and as you travel.

Good advice Arnold, thank you. As for our business, we built a publishing/marketing company. We created a health magazines that we spread across 4 states and Senior magazines
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
This summer we were caretakers on a 44,000 acre ranch. I haven't worked that hard since high school! I told the wife they couldn't pay me enough to do that much work at 71, but we did it for free and loved every minute! Lost 15 lbs and still ate anything i wanted all summer.

As long as you keep the TV off and stay off the internet during the day you will find something you really enjoy that will occupy your time! We focus on what is ahead and don't spend time looking back.
I'd be pretty good at being a caretaker but my wife wouldn't be and right now I'm more concerned about her.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck1957
What a great forum, so many people sharing the same interests, problems and issues
I also miss that Interaction with people that you find in business and Replace some of that up by chatting and reading some of the topics on these forums
My story is not unlike several others, I sold my construction company at 53 and retired, build a big house on the hill
bored to death I started another firm which lasted for four years
As a result of several health issues early this year the wife and I packed our bags and left in the middle of August for an eight or nine month trip of Canada and the United States
Still catch myself dreaming of projects That don’t exist and unfinished jobs I don’t have
Between golfing Disney World Disneyland and many cities that I’ve never seen before I’m hoping to keep myself entertained enough that I don’t go back but no promises
Hope you find solis in something to keep you entertained enough not to go nuts 🥜
Old 11-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Good advice Arnold, thank you. As for our business, we built a publishing/marketing company. We created a health magazines that we spread across 4 states and Senior magazines
Live in Arnold :-)

Name is Bill,

Awesome - I can see a - Travel Blog/Article or two coming in your future

Stan has a great Photo Journal to help you plan your trips -

Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

So hoping you followed your own advice and are still in good shape - So many Great hikes out there to enjoy - Angles Landings - https://utah.com/zion-national-park/angels-landing

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide...andingpix5.cfm

https://www.visitgrandcounty.com/sto...laces-of-rmnp/

Wind River - 4X4 trails all through Colorado .................

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13....0.HnlE4te9Dqw

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13....0.UCjz6aFF9JY

So much to do sooooooooooo little time................

Keep us in the Loop
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice