Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

Canadian Standards

I know you all are probably sick of inane questions but here's one more. One of the options Entegra offers is "Canadian Standards". Can anyone enlighten me as to what that is? Is it worth it? If my future rig did not have it, would In be denied entry into our northern neighbor? Very curious.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #2

We have friends who bought a motor home in the US and could not bring it back to Canada. They wound up having to trade it for a fifth wheel & truck, a very expensive mistake. Make sure your intended purchase is on the list of allowed imports if you buy in the States and plan to import it to Canada.

Someone will surely post a link to the site that contains that information. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that stuff here

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

If you are buying an RV in Canada or purchasing and importing one, there are certain safety requirements. Most manufacturers have this listed as separate options, I think a lot is electrically related. When dealers bring RVs into Canada they automatically add it. There are some used RVs that cannot be imported due to this. This does not have anything to do with vacationers bringing their rigs into Canada, so come on up! There are actually lots of thing that have to meet CSA standards to be sold in Canada, not just RVs. Another reason why things cost more here! See link below.

http://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I am Canadian and order a new Cornerstone. When ordering I asked what you got extra with Canadian Standards and was told that the wiring is heavier gauged. They also told me that they were talking about just doing the upgraded wiring on all motorhomes. It is also law in Canada that all vehicles sold in Canada have day running lights. No problem if the vehicle is old or if you are visiting in Canada.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Oh Canada

I live in the USA but I think I'd like the "Canadian Standards"... I wonder if us Yankees can get it also!!!
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I live in the USA but I think I'd like the "Canadian Standards"... I wonder if us Yankees can get it also!!!
Last year I read that frame design was also affected. But since not heard any more.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core1951 View Post
I know you all are probably sick of inane questions but here's one more. One of the options Entegra offers is "Canadian Standards". Can anyone enlighten me as to what that is? Is it worth it? If my future rig did not have it, would In be denied entry into our northern neighbor? Very curious.
Having purchased several RV's from the US and importing them into Canada I know that the Manufacturer's vehicles must initially be approved and on the "List of Vehicles Admissible from the US". In addition, when you register the vehicle in Canada it must have 1) daytime running lights 2) metric odometer 3) child restraint tether kit (in English & French).
The cost to order your coach to Canadian Standards from Entegra is $800.00.
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
Having purchased several RV's from the US and importing them into Canada I know that the Manufacturer's vehicles must initially be approved and on the "List of Vehicles Admissible from the US". In addition, when you register the vehicle in Canada it must have 1) daytime running lights 2) metric odometer 3) child restraint tether kit (in English & French).
The cost to order your coach to Canadian Standards from Entegra is $800.00.
I have Canadian Standards but I didn't know the chiald restraint tether kit was part of it. Where do they install the kit?
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I believe, as long as your coach is a custom order and you pay the additional $800.00 then it is installed like an option. You might want to confirm this with Entegra.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
I have Canadian Standards but I didn't know the chiald restraint tether kit was part of it. Where do they install the kit?
It is just like when you get a new Canadian car - the kit is not installed but they leave the kit in your glove box and if you have kids/grandkids that use a car seat then you can install it when you install their car seat. It is just a couple of bolts and a strap that anchor the car seat more securely (nothing special but just part of Canadian regulations).
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #11

They didn't leave the child seatbelt system in mine. I will hopefully pick it up in Middlebury this summer. Thanks for the information.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneS

It is just like when you get a new Canadian car - the kit is not installed but they leave the kit in your glove box and if you have kids/grandkids that use a car seat then you can install it when you install their car seat. It is just a couple of bolts and a strap that anchor the car seat more securely (nothing special but just part of Canadian regulations).
Hey Dennis....I don't for a second question that you have your info correct...but since this was not a requirement when we imported our MH in 2011....I visited the RIV website. On the website the child restraint kit appears to be a requirement for passenger cars....no mention of it for Class A motorhomes? It might be worth a trip to an authorized Canadian Tire for a chat with the inspection guru to confirm this requirement before someone spends much time or money on something that may not actually be necessary for importation.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #13

Oh, Canada

Well, we are not Canadian so we would be buying here in the states. I just wondered what "Canadian Standards" means. Maybe, thicker insulation or something. And would it be a worthwile investment. I assume we would be allowed to visit our northern friends in a U.S. RV without problems. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
They didn't leave the child seatbelt system in mine. I will hopefully pick it up in Middlebury this summer. Thanks for the information.
I don't believe you will actually need one (unless you have children or grandchildren that will travel with you and you want to install one). It is just if you order the "Canadian" version....but you won't need to add that to be legal in Canada. In the past when purchasing US coaches and registering them in Canada the ONLY thing we have needed to have were daytime running lights. If you are not registering the vehicle in Canada then you don't have to do anything.