Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Cargo Bay Doors Open Up While Traveling!

Since taking delivery of our 2018 Cornerstone in October 2017 we’ve had a problem with various cargo bay doors coming open while traveling. I’ve tried adjusting the metal rod around which the latch wraps when a given door is closed. That didn’t make any noticeable difference on any of the doors I adjusted.

Until recently, the only doors popping open were the first three behind the steer tires on each side of the coach (six doors in all). I implemented a temporary fix by attaching a cable clamp like the one in the photo below to the inside of each of the six doors, which allows me run bungee cords between each pair of doors. The doors still pop loose, but the bungee cords prevent them from swinging wide open. A rather inelegant solution, but it’s been working.

More recently (last two weeks or so), the passenger-side door that covers the holding tanks has started popping loose. No good way to bungee that one, so I’ve resorted to using Gorilla tape to ensure it doesn’t swing open when it pops loose. A solution even less elegant than bungee cords.

I know I’m not the only owner dealing with this issue. I had a recent conversation with an individual at an RV park who, unprompted, told me about some friends who bought a 2018 Cornerstone and dumped it in favor of a Newmar less than six months later. The primary motivation for the change was that their cargo bay doors wouldn’t stay closed while traveling. Apparently they were so picky as to believe a half-million-dollar motorhome shouldn’t have problems like that. Go figure.

I’d very much appreciate hearing from others who’ve experienced this problem, especially anyone who may have found a solution classier than bungee cords and Gorilla tape. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Clamp-Gardner Bender.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	220397  
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to go across the street to NIRVC
Old 09-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #3

Larry, I know from previous posts you’re not fond of Massey Diesel, but it seems like they should look at it from underneath. It seems like the frame may be twisting when you’re on the road. Maybe a bad weld(s) or connection. And the irony of the Cornerstone for Newmar trade is that Newmar just recalled their newer coaches for the entry door opening while on the road. I’d rather have baggage doors open LOL.
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Since taking delivery of our 2018 Cornerstone in October 2017 we’ve had a problem with various cargo bay doors coming open while traveling. I’ve tried adjusting the metal rod around which the latch wraps when a given door is closed. That didn’t make any noticeable difference on any of the doors I adjusted.

Until recently, the only doors popping open were the first three behind the steer tires on each side of the coach (six doors in all). I implemented a temporary fix by attaching a cable clamp like the one in the photo below to the inside of each of the six doors, which allows me run bungee cords between each pair of doors. The doors still pop loose, but the bungee cords prevent them from swinging wide open. A rather inelegant solution, but it’s been working.

More recently (last two weeks or so), the passenger-side door that covers the holding tanks has started popping loose. No good way to bungee that one, so I’ve resorted to using Gorilla tape to ensure it doesn’t swing open when it pops loose. A solution even less elegant than bungee cords.

I know I’m not the only owner dealing with this issue. I had a recent conversation with an individual at an RV park who, unprompted, told me about some friends who bought a 2018 Cornerstone and dumped it in favor of a Newmar less than six months later. The primary motivation for the change was that their cargo bay doors wouldn’t stay closed while traveling. Apparently they were so picky as to believe a half-million-dollar motorhome shouldn’t have problems like that. Go figure.

I’d very much appreciate hearing from others who’ve experienced this problem, especially anyone who may have found a solution classier than bungee cords and Gorilla tape. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!
Larry, did they make a latch change between 17&18?
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Larry, did they make a latch change between 17&18?
Yes, I believe they did.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ520 View Post
Larry, I know from previous posts you’re not fond of Massey Diesel, but it seems like they should look at it from underneath. It seems like the frame may be twisting when you’re on the road. Maybe a bad weld(s) or connection. And the irony of the Cornerstone for Newmar trade is that Newmar just recalled their newer coaches for the entry door opening while on the road. I’d rather have baggage doors open LOL.
Bill, we were at Spartan a couple of weeks ago for their Spartan Academy class. The cost of the class includes a full chassis inspection, which in our case was done by Andy Potter who is by all accounts their very best service technician.

Andy knew about the door opening problem because it happened to him while test driving the coach.

I agree with your logic regarding chassis flex being a potential cause. That said, any chassis sitting under a 45 foot motorhome is going to flex to some degree under certain road conditions and the cargo bay doors & latches should be designed accordingly.

Right now my prime suspect is a defective batch of latches, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Bill, we were at Spartan a couple of weeks ago for their Spartan Academy class. The cost of the class includes a full chassis inspection, which in our case was done by Andy Potter who is by all accounts their very best service technician.

Andy knew about the door opening problem because it happened to him while test driving the coach.

I agree with your logic regarding chassis flex being a potential cause. That said, any chassis sitting under a 45 foot motorhome is going to flex to some degree under certain road conditions and the cargo bay doors & latches should be designed accordingly.

Right now my prime suspect is a defective batch of latches, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.
For sure something is different between 17&18. Haven't heard of a 17 door coming open. After the problem Entegra had in 15&16 with doors coming open I'm surprised they would make a change from the 2017 latches.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

My front 2 doors on each would pop open. Happened once in the middle of Houston with heavy traffic on all sides. That was exciting.
Entegra fixed the problem at my pdi and it hasn't happened since. The doors even open and close differently after the adjustment.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #9

Our 2017 Aspire has one door (3rd door curb side) that has started popping open. First 9K miles nothing. Next 2-3,000 miles popped open 4+ times.

This started in lower Canada Hwy1 driving. Then the Alaskan highway made it happen much more frequently.

We have our 2yr in a couple of weeks, until then similar to the OP I have it tied off with a rope.

I can't see any difference in engagement between that latch and the others. I made sure nothing could be tipping or pressing against the door from the inside.

It does seem to be related to chassis flex. It comes open usually after a left turn over a high crown or apron ramp that gives the coach a good opportunity to twist.

BTW, our is an October build 2017.

Steve
Old 09-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #10

Larry, I assume with all this drama that you’re pull checking each door prior to departure?

I check each door prior to departure and the only doors that have opened have been ones I didn’t properly close and check.

Our latches are pretty reliable.

Perhaps CS can resolve any P/N differences between the years.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #11

Larry, What's the complaint ?
You got the optional AUTOMATIC cargo doors 😳 at no up charge !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Larry,

For those of us that may not be familiar with your style of door latch can you post a picture?

What has been done by you and/or the dealer to try and remedy the situation?

Have the doors been tightened or loosened against the latch?

When a situation similar to this popped up a few years ago what I found with my latches was that if they were adjusted too tight to the striker with no inward movement once the door was closed then the latch had a tendency to hang up and not fully extend to fully engage the latch.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I have a couple of doors that are extremely hard to unlatch....just to opposite as Larry's. I've already sprayed them with silicone. I will look at the latches, hopefully today and see if I can see what might be going on.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #14

Larry

Ive got nothing for you on this one other than to recommend talking to EC CS on the phone or a trip by a competent dealer tech. My 15 Anthem never had a door open unexpectedly. And I have had only one door opening here with the new Cornerstone, but I am sure that was my fault. It was the large aft-most door on the passenger side.... I had tried to get into the DEF compartment to just look at the DEF tank and I could not get the door open after a hard pull. I was parked in an uneven lot at the time and jacked all sorts of up to get her close to flat and I assumed that something was torqued and the door would not open. So I left it alone and forgot about it all. 100 miles later while coming off an off ramp to I-80, I heard a bunch of cars honking and college girls yelling at the top of their lungs and I looked back to see that that very long door was then wide open at a stop sign. Tons of traffic. Light went green and I pulled onto city street and got the 4-ways on just before the door would have squarely hit a telephone pole. That would have cost a bundle.... But, what I think happened was that the latch probably "opened" (unlatched) back in the RV park and loosened but was held closed by the chassis twist and then it took bouncing down I-80 a while for the door to become fully unlocked and free swinging and it opened when I slowed down on the off ramp.

My experience is that my doors don't firmly latch unless I put my hand over the handle and push firmly against the latching mechanism as the door reaches the end of the travel. I cannot simply push the door closed from a foot away and expect it to latch..... I have to have my hand on the door latch the whole way in and hear it firmly latch. That is now my SOP. Push each door latch firmly closed.

I have no clue how to adjust a door if it started to open, frankly, and my first call would be to the boys and girls at the customer service line in Middlebury and see what they could send me by way of instructions on adjustment. Seems like it would have to be pretty simple but they should know.

Now I guess that I know how I will know an unknown coach is yours as I come into an RV park..... I will just look for all the gorilla tape down the side .... Maybe you should stop all that coach tilting that you do when you dump your tanks....... ....

You will figure it out, and be sure to tell all of us what you determine is the fix..

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, travel, doors