RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

Carry out Dish Question

I have a bit of an issue, definitely a first world motorhome problem. We are currently staying in a park with a large tree blocking my clear view of the southern sky. We all know where this is going.....so I figured to get a carry out Dish. Then have a park style cable connection installed in the Aquahot compartment near the CATV input. From there I figured the cable could run over to intercept the cable from the roof mounted Winegard. I could then use either the roof mounted receiver or when necessary the carry out automatic antenna.

So I decided to get a quote for this while getting some warranty work done at the dealership. Cost to swap from DTV to Dish $894 Labor plus unknown amount on parts. To do the carry out input, $1490 plus an estimated $200 in parts. So I was not surprised about the cost on swapping service on the dish but I was a bit shocked at the price to run my carry out receiver.

I am curious what the group thinks for a better solution and and if my original idea was even possible.

2019 Aspire
Winegard Direct TV

G6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 05:10 AM   #2

In our situation, I climbed onto the roof and changed the dip switches on the satellite dish to the DISH specifications. Then I removed the Direct TV box and installed the DISH box. Then went through the set up procedures and all is well.

An easier and cheaper way is to find a way to bring the cable into the RV. That could be accomplished by drilling a hole somewhere or using a flat cable that fits through a window. Then connect the satellite dish and receiver box and then start your programming procedures.

Good luck

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The Dish change over is a $300 kit from Winegard. Several post and and nice photo post by Voltdoc on how to do the change over in a couple of hours.
Dish at Home, DirectTV In Motor Home?

A Dish Carry out is $239 On Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PL-7...ellite+antenna

A Wally Receiver https://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-...ceiver+by+dish

Several DIY post here on how to make the connection like you wanted to do in the basement. Both could be done easily by a mobile service at MUCH less that the dealers quote.

DISH also has a monthly pay as you go if you want to try the service out first.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #4

Wonderful news. Thanks I will do some more reading! Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6driver View Post
Wonderful news. Thanks I will do some more reading! Thanks
Jeff, I just noticed you have a 19. I'll try to find one of the post today, but the 19 is wired a little different with the new matrix system. If someone does post the answer, call Entegra CS, ask for Mike O'conner on the Sat wiring. He is the AV expert and might even have instructions printed as several have done the basement wiring. There might be a way to move the outside TV Satellite connection to go to all the TV, it would be interesting to know.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 12-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Thanks so much I will contact Mike as the new machines maybe wired a bit different. I did look forward of my Power disconnects on the ceiling of the compartment and I notice the cable wiring looks similar to what I have seen in other threads. I assume from this point it runs forward to the matrix and then is delivered to the various user locations inside the coach? I looked over the links you posted to switching the Dish and that seems very doable.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4851.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	228300
Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

The sat cable is run to the receivers the same as in past coaches. The signal to the hdmi matrix is on the output side of the receiver and blue ray.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Jeff, keep us posted what you find on the 19 connection. It may be a need others of us might need. I am having the RF Mogul for DISH installed but a tailgater might be needed at some point.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6driver View Post
Thanks so much I will contact Mike as the new machines maybe wired a bit different. I did look forward of my Power disconnects on the ceiling of the compartment and I notice the cable wiring looks similar to what I have seen in other threads. I assume from this point it runs forward to the matrix and then is delivered to the various user locations inside the coach? I looked over the links you posted to switching the Dish and that seems very doable.
Attachment 228300

Jeff, Here’s a photo of 2016 Anthem setup, its just like yours. We use an outside antenna while parked on our farm. You should be able to add an additional connection for about $30 (or less) in parts. Here’s how I did it.
1. On the driver’s side, I changed the cable connection from a single to a double coaxial wall plug. On the back side I attached the OEM cable and labeled it “C” for cable. The other I labeled “S” for satellite.
2. I then threaded a length of coax through the coach to near by the SWM box in photo and attached it to back of the plug labeled “S”.
3. Purchase an AB switch and attach the “S” cable to one of the inputs. Take the cable attached to the “Pwr to SWM” and attach it to the Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7597.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	228309other input (this is your OEM) setting.
4. Next, use a short piece of coax and go from the output (AB switch) to the “PWR to SWM” connection.

Now you can switch between park cable and your outside sat dish. You should only have to run the reprogramming for the outside dish once. After that, the receiver will recognize which satellite is connected.

Others have put the AB switch on the drivers side near the coax plug. This will work also. While we have Direct TV and a 2016, there’s no reason this setup shouldn’t work for you.
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #10

Update per Mike at EC the coaxial wiring setup has not changed 2016 to this production year. He sent them PDF if anyone needs them I can forward them to you.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

@Growler15 thank you so much! Exactly what I was wanting to do. Thank you for the write up and the step by step.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jeff, Glad to help. I’ll pm you with my email. Would you send me cable schematic? Thanks
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #13

Remember there is coax all ready run for the optional in motion dish, down to the basement and then up to a labelled coax jack behind the blu-ray.

I imagine you can easily intercept this cable.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #14

Carry out Dish Question

@oneknight I think this is a great idea. Would make for a clean install. I just went down and snooped around. I found the Dish Prewire coax in that bundle but not the in-motion prewire. But I will take a better look in the A.M. with fresh eyes and see if I can find them. Great suggestion.

Tags
dish