Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Carrying the Harley

Hello -

Working on understanding weighing and loading an EC, most likely an Aspire. Haven't purchased yet, but we figure we're within a year from this.

My current plan is too purchase a lift for the rear, most likely a Hydralift, and also tow our 2005 Tacoma 4X4.

So, what should I look for and/or take into consideration when I do decide to carry my 900# Harley on the back of my EC?

Any insight to this will be appreciated.

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #2

Buy a long bed 2 door 4 wheel drive pickup and put the harley in the back. You can then tow 4 down and easily carry the bike without worrying about being overloaded. There are several bike loading devices that go into the bed of a truck to make loading and carrying a large bike an easy one person job.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tag axle of course, and air leveling.
You lose a fair bit of rear ground clearance with a Hydralift, and more than once I've needed to jack up the rear of the coach to enter a inclined driveway, ferry ramp, etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
I started with a Mighty Hauler hyd lift and like Wideglide had a problem on steep drives, have upgraded to the Tandem Tow Dolly HDXL, carries both bikes and the jeep - the dolly section adjusts for center of gravity that puts around 400 lbs on the hitch vs 1,200 lbs with the lift - it also has surge brakes which is nice - I was never that comfortable with the lift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDXL-Tandem-Tow-Dolly.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	71319
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #5

Look at cruiserlift.com they ha a 40" clearance and carry up to 1K lbs. for $2995.00. It is also has an electric motor for lift. Pretty Impressive
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
JMHO, Hydralift is the Cadillac. STRONGLY recommended. One OP is correct, you can carry in back of a truck, but unless you have an automatic loader (about half the price of the Hydralift) I STRONGLY recommend against the ramp and drive in approach unless it is a small bike.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO an enclosed car trailer would be a better option behind the Aspire. Hauling the Harley on a lift will have it covered with road grime. Worse yet if you drive through some rain or inclement weather.

Hauling in a trailer will keep both toads clean and will enable you to back the unit up should the need arise.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've driven in heavy rain with my Street Glide on the Hydralift. What I do is I first use the standard HD cover (it's soft on the inside) and then I put a large tarp over everything, basically wrapping it all up. When I arrive, bike is as spotless as when I put it on the lift.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

Cruiser lift WLL sell you a Splash Guard for like $150
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #10

I'll be carrying a 2013 Road Glide Ultra. Weather doesn't bother me, I've ridden in all kinds....Even hail. Had to laydown on my tank while I drove to keep the hail from hitting it. Cleaning the bike has become second nature and I have no problem doing it.

My reason for using a lift is that I don't want to have to deal with trailers. And yes, the Hydralift is the Cadillac of all lifts. Not worried about "bottoming Out" since the lift will put the bike high up on the back of the coach.

Since the Aspire has the tag I believe that the load will be carried without an issue. Might even be an Athem, not 100% sure at this point. I've seen numbers around 1200#'s with bike and lift installed.

Could someone with some experience please talk to this? Such as weight and handling with a bagger attached.

THX,
-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I had an Anthem...no issues with weight (don't believe you'll have any with Aspire, as they have space on their weight with most folks). Drove like a dream on the Anthem...except the "hoop di coos in California. Of course it also felt like the coach rear end was on a launching pad on those as well.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #12

I have an enclosed trailer for carry my motorcycle, car, two kayaks and two bicycles. My bike and car stay clean and secure. Out of site, out of mind!
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post

My reason for using a lift is that I don't want to have to deal with trailers. And yes, the Hydralift is the Cadillac of all lifts. Not worried about "bottoming Out" since the lift will put the bike high up on the back of the coach.

THX,
-paul
Look, I have one!
The clearance issue is'nt from the bike to the road when lifted..... The bike is waaaaaay up there!
The frame of the Hydralift is welded to the bottom of the chassis frame, and continues back behind the chassis frame for another 2.5 to 3 feet. This is where you will drag!
The lift mentioned by a poster bosting 40" of clearance, I think plugs into the factory reciever !
I dont think that reciever is made to hold over 1,000 lb. Towing is one thing, but putting that weight on it?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Look, I have one!
The clearance issue is'nt from the bike to the road when lifted..... The bike is waaaaaay up there!
The frame of the Hydralift is welded to the bottom of the chassis frame, and continues back behind the chassis frame for another 2.5 to 3 feet. This is where you will drag!
The lift mentioned by a poster bosting 40" of clearance, I think plugs into the factory reciever !
I dont think that reciever is made to hold over 1,000 lb. Towing is one thing, but putting that weight on it?
Maybe on your coach, but that hasn't been the experience with mine. As I transition to a new coach, I find the installer has paid very special attention to ground clearance of the hitch. The lowest point of my lift is no lower than the hitch on the coach and extends at that level approx 1 foot out the back of the coach, not 2.5 - 3 feet when the lift has moved the bike to ride height. This is not opinion, but my experience. Guess it depends on the install and maybe where you drive it.