RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
New project....turn exhaust

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good question........

I have had a car with protection film installed by Z-Bart.

No issues - did the job as I saw a couple "dings" on the plastic that did not penetrate to the paint.

Some members in my corvette club have found a new type film that actually re-seals itself if it get a hole from a ding - just needs to sit in the sun or under a hair dryer for awhile - do not know any thing else about it - if you want info let me know and I will do some research.

I am about to put a base plate on my new 2015 F-150 Platimun Super Cab.

Do I protect or not protect. I know what my cars and trucks look like that are not towed or protected. They have dings - pin holes as they might be, one or two "chucks" chipped out. Nothing to cry over but they are there.......

I was looking at many things to protect my truck - I would like to keep it looking as good as I can as I plan on keeping this vehicle for some time.

I will be using Blue Ox products and they sell some sort of shield that attaches to the tow bar.

I found Tow Car Sheild. Basically a huge vehicle bra. Even covers the windshield and cost comparable with other products. Below is a link:

Tow Car Shield

So - not sure what I am going to do.......probably be one of those spur of the moment decisions...I have used bras on cars I have owed - worked well - pain to put on and take off sometimes...

Good luck and good luck getting your new coach!!

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
i have towed a 09 dodge pu for 47,000 miles i have blue ox hitch and a kar guard from blue ox the paint under the the hitch is pretty dinged up, but us plastic and should be cheap to get repainted if i want. mud flap on motor home should be as high as you can get it under rear without hitting muffler, that is my experience
hobart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know the trade name but in January DW and I visited the Barrett Jackson auto auction/show in Scottsdale. They had dozens of vendors also. One guy had this 3M-like clear shield you can put on the front of your Ferrari or whatever and it heals itself in the sun. He took a regular wire brush, scratched the heck out of a fender, then using a UV light made the scratches invisible. Might be a good thing. Don't know the cost or long term life.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #19
Commercial Member

We have not put the 3M shield on our toad, but I have it on my Prius because those low cars tend to get many chips on the front. It is doing a great job protecting the front of this car, and has not caused any issues. It also makes waxing the car a bit faster
I think it is worth doing whatever necessary to protect your toad. It gets very expensive when it is time to make repairs later.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Good question........

I found Tow Car Sheild. Basically a huge vehicle bra. Even covers the windshield and cost comparable with other products. Below is a link:

Tow Car Shield

So - not sure what I am going to do.......probably be one of those spur of the moment decisions...I have used bras on cars I have owed - worked well - pain to put on and take off sometimes...

Good luck and good luck getting your new coach!!

g
My experience with Tow Car Shield was horrible. It abraded the paint on the front of my car. The guy told me to send it back and he'd make it right. Months later and letters to the BBB, Good Sam, FMCA etc, he had my money, my Tow Car Shield and my everlasting ill will, and I had a car that needed to have its front end painted. I would run away.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:13 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
My experience with Tow Car Shield was horrible. It abraded the paint on the front of my car. The guy told me to send it back and he'd make it right. Months later and letters to the BBB, Good Sam, FMCA etc, he had my money, my Tow Car Shield and my everlasting ill will, and I had a car that needed to have its front end painted. I would run away.
Huh - thanks.

I wonder why?

I realize it is a bra, which I have used on my corvette for years when on the road.

A bra does take some work or it will ruin your paint. I always got a kick out of people who put a bra on and never took it off - or put it on a dirty car- that is an accident ready to hapoen.

Oh well - perhaps I need to look into the self sealing 3M film. I liked the Tow Car Shield because it covered the windshield.

So - what happened? Did you get a new sheild or your money back?

Thanks again...and sorry you had such a horrible experiemce

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I can't confirm without some comparison photos but last month I was in Tucson camping at the KOA (formerly Lazy Days) and walked thru the lot of Lazy Days gawking at the 2016 Entegras. I noticed all of the new tailpipes are angled more towards the curb and not straight down. My concern with this crazy DEF exhaust, that sometimes has temps above 1000F internally, it might melt anything near it. My toad front right tire runs 20 deg hotter than the rest, and it's a massive Jeep tire. I think I want to turn my exhaust tip somewhat more towards the curb but I'm a little afraid of burning the paint on the bottom of the fiberglass tail .

I think if I knew I wouldn't set my toad on fire and look like Joey Chitwood I would install one of those Protect a Tow shields. I think the Roadmaster rigid tow shields are okay, but don't think it'll work on my setup.
Dave, one on my post delivery punch list items included a brand new mudflap, as the new exhaust angle burned the rubber on the right (passenger) side corner. To this, Entegra has sent a new mudflap and exhaust tip extension. Food for thought.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #23

3m clear bra

We first purchased the 3m clear shield for corvette..it works amazing that we put it on our Flex, which is now a toad. Would not hesitate to put it on my next car. We live in Florida and dead lovebugs come off with ease. We have not had any yellowing issues and you really have to look to see that it is on. Our friend has it on truck and a bolt bounced off the road I275, ripped the clear bra and no damage to paint. I was amazed.

Why do the clear bras on the RVs that I have seen turn yellow? Right now we use a good coat of wax and have good spray wax (Garage One) before we hit road. Once we are checked in a quick hose off and bugs gone.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
We use nothing on our 16 Anthem and tow a 13 Lincoln MKX with no film protection. No issues at all on the toad nor the previous CRV. The mud flap does a good job.
Agree. Just my 2 cents here, but all chips aren't necessarily from being towed. Normal road wear and types of road surfaces are factors. But, I do understand wanting to keep the toad as pristine as possible. Our MKX is in great shape after 8000 miles.
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
Why do the clear bras on the RVs that I have seen turn yellow? Right now we use a good coat of wax and have good spray wax (Garage One) before we hit road. Once we are checked in a quick hose off and bugs gone.
A common problem has been not yellowing, but lifting of the edges. When the edges lift, moisture collects and mold develops under the edges, which is almost impossible to correct. Also, one must be very careful about abrasion of the film surface. Stuck-on bugs are hard to remove without scrubbing, and the scrubbing leaves abrasions in the film surface.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #26

Enclosed trailer, problem solved.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
You carry your Entegra in an enclosed trailer?