Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

CB/Front shades issue

I've only checked the Entegra forum, so please accept my apologies if this topic has been addressed elsewhere.
I recently purchased my 2011 Aspire RBQ on which I placed my handheld CB which was powered through the 12v accessory plug on the dash, wired into the coach's CB antenna. Wife and I drove from Minniapolis Mn, to NC at which I only listened to the CB chatter along the way. Never did I key the mic. Yesterday I wired a brand new permanent CB to the coach. As I was driving the coach today, I keyed the mic to stir up some trouble. I guess it backfired as trouble came to me. The front shades, privacy and sun on both sides automatically came down on me as I was driving. I was alone at the time and barely got myself pulled over safely before they were completely deployed. The push button controls were non-responsive before I could stop. I finally got the shades to come up, however the passenger's side sun shade would not stop. It eventually stopped as it BROKE! Then the sun shade just dropped. I wound it up and tied it off until I the coach back home.
Once I tossed out the anchor, I repeated the event (parked this time) and the same results. I disconnected the new CB and connected my hand held via coach's CB antenna and 12v accessory power plug. It too activated the shades as well! WHAT TO DO?

TIA
Escaped.......

(Sorry for being so long winded, just wanted to include all the details)
Ecsaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

Call Entegra immediately, that is a safety issue that they will want to know about and address at once. I am guessing that the United shades that are in your coach are using the same frequencies in the 27mhz range that the cb uses. That should not be a problem now as they are using MCD shades but may need a recall to correct on units with the United shades.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Call Entegra immediately, that is a safety issue that they will want to know about and address at once. I am guessing that the United shades that are in your coach are using the same frequencies in the 27mhz range that the cb uses. That should not be a problem now as they are using MCD shades but may need a recall to correct on units with the United shades.
If it was a frequency issue, wouldn't others have experienced the same problem. Surely more owners have installed CB's....
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Good point, unless you were on a different channel and it just happened to be very close to the freq. that United uses. Could also be a slight electrical disturbance on the same circuit. I am just speculating, I would urge you to call Entegra and get them on the issue, that needs to be researched for sure. Let us know what you find out.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #5

Called Entegra 3 times yesterday throughout the day and left messages due to my schedule. No reply as of yet, but it has been only one day. Both CB's were on channel 19 , one hardwired and other through the 12volt dashboard center console. And to add a 3rd CB off my MC using channel 1, 19 and 29 approx 15' in front of the coach (late afternoon test yesterday).
I'll call again today. I'm pretty persistant!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Suggest going to the Entegra site and sending a message using the contact area. I used that one afternoon and had a call from an engineer four hours later, at 8:30PM...so I reckon they check their email
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #7

Contacted Entegra yesterday. Spoke with Jacob and his reply was that this issue has happened in the past. Mostly due to people wiring the CB into the wrong circuit and also into the 12v accessory. Sometimes the CB's antenna having a bad ground as well. However from a totally independant CB along the side is a new one. They are looking into it and will call me in a few days for resolve. Jacob was very helpful with other newbie questions that I had.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecsaped View Post
Contacted Entegra yesterday. Spoke with Jacob and his reply was that this issue has happened in the past. Mostly due to people wiring the CB into the wrong circuit and also into the 12v accessory. Sometimes the CB's antenna having a bad ground as well. However from a totally independant CB along the side is a new one. They are looking into it and will call me in a few days for resolve. Jacob was very helpful with other newbie questions that I had.
Interesting to hear that....when we picked up our coach, we inquired about having the dealer install a CB. We were advised that the Entegra's are pre-wired, with a pig tail ready for a CB. No need to pay a dealer to install - basically a plug and play. Hmmmmmm......
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY AN RFI question Yippie. (Studied those I did)

Actually, no amount of study will enable me to declare "The problem is____" but only gives me places to start looking.

First: DO NOT KEY THE MIC.

Now, there are several possible issues...

One, where did you tap power for the CB, odds are that is not the problme but we have to ask.

CB's often have lots of knobs and whistles as we say, One is a microphone gain control, Did you turn it up to the max? I mean if it is turned down too far you don't get out, so you turn it up a little and you get out better turn out more and it's till better turn it up more and the signal overmodulates, splatters all over the place and bad things happen.. In your case it's about as bad as it gets.

What is splatter: Put a radio frequency spectrum chart on the wall, Now take an overripe tomato and throw it at the chart as hard as you can... THAT is splatter..

Another issue is antenna placement.. I mean if the control module wound up say six inches from the antenna with only fiberglass between them...... Six feet might work better.

Now we have the antenna.. I assume you do NOT know how to tune an antenna, If the antenna is not properly tuned you can get RF Feedback into the radio and the radio's protective circuit starts cutting in and out making radio frequency hash (See tomato above).

So there are a lot of suspects.. But for now DO NOT KEY THE MIC.

Get a competent radio techniican to go over it with you and see if they can track it down.

My "Elmer" (As we hams call our teachers) worked for Chrysler, one of his jobs was putting kilowatt radios in cars and seeing if he could take out the engine control computer.. If he failed, the design went into production.

WHY: Imagine Officer Friendly, He sees the guy with the mask and gun hop into the car and peal out, and he's off to the races,, He keys his radio transmitter to tell the Dispatcher (These radios run 10 to 150 watts depending on the department) and SPUTTER, COUGH COUGH his patrol car dies.

not a good thing.

That is why Tom worked in the RFI department.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #10

Where is this pre wiring and antenna?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #11

Antenna wire (grey) located behind the kickplate forward left. I used the prewired locations of the previous owner. There was a ground bolt also forward left corner just about the floor thats part of the chasis frame. Other groundwires are connected to it, so it was easy to identify. Positive wire was left by previous owner and marked by installer. This wire was not a factory installed, so I assumed it was installed by dealer, also it was a constant positive.
Still awaiting Entegra's response towards the shades, assumption due to the Holiday and myself dragging my feet to get the new owner registration form out to them. ***Regardless they are most fast compared to other industry companies I have worked with in the past.*** Kudos to Ray for sending me a photo of the TBC harness on a Spartan, however I have a FL chassis. I have an e-mail out to Ray for varification. Lucky me that I have Marine freinds @ Camp LeJuene's MotorT to come help me install the Brake Controller here reel soon.
Here is the photo of the Spartan TBC harness I was sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartan wire tagged.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	29705  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thought comes to mind.... Most hand held CB's are a bit short on knobs compared to the mounted ones... Is there a "Microphone" control on your new CB (Dyna mic, power mic, mic gain or just MIC).

What is it set at?

Normally I would start with this knob at the 12:00 position (straight up0 and adjust from there wile watching the output on my other receiver with a analyzer attached.. Not something you can do but here is what happens if you turn that control to the right.... too far.

SPLATTER

Your signal goes all over the place and bad things happen.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

Update

Entegra had FireFly send out new master controller (light control mounted by entry door). Was told that it dissables night shades when ignition is on. Still awaiting new shade motors for the day shades. I'm assuming end of year/inventory may contribute to lack of communications.
I removed CB until I get my CB tech buddy over to check things out. So far after swapping out the controller, my MC's CB does not interfer as it sits directly in front of coach during a breif test.
Just returned from an extended weekend outing. Pulled a 8.5 x 20 enclosed car hauler with my Yamaha RSV, small trailer that I pull behind the MC and a Smart car within. Did not even notice the trailer was behind me. Wife and I can't hardly wait till Spring to take our first long trip!

Escaped!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Does you CB have a "foot warmer" (linear) in it? Or has it been peeked

A healthy radio can light up a fluorescent light or cause all kinds of funny issues.

On a side note my manual shades fell down on me once, thank goodness I didnt have my belt on and could jump right up and lift them and get pulled over
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote