Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Monacoach

And thank you for showing me a capability in Googke Maps that I had never known existed. Amazing! I have used it hundreds of times in both map and satellite mode to anticipate problems in navigating the coach through difficult approaches or exits from fuel stations. But I have never looked at the menu thing I’d at the top left to see “traffic”.... darn. Well, that also opens up lots of possibilities. Thanks for opening m6 eyes.

Gary
My pleasure. Its a great tool for sure.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #30

Dave

I drove semis while going to school in the early and mid-70s. I got over CB then as it was Mind Numbing conversation (particularly liked the hetrodyning (sp?) of those AM carriers) but it was pretty mandatory to have it on to get warning of smokies and traffic problems. I bought a brand new Cobra mic radio when I bought this Anthem, but never installed it. There have been a couple of times when I would have given my left arm to be able to talk to someone else after the highway patrol forced all traffic off some exit in the middle of “nowhere” onto roads with no detour markers, no cops at important turns, and roads small enough to not be on a state supplied map..??.. but if Waze or Google maps will do that for me, I’ll donate the Cobra to Goodwill.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Dave

I drove semis while going to school in the early and mid-70s. I got over CB then as it was Mind Numbing conversation (particularly liked the hetrodyning (sp?) of those AM carriers) but it was pretty mandatory to have it on to get warning of smokies and traffic problems. I bought a brand new Cobra mic radio when I bought this Anthem, but never installed it. There have been a couple of times when I would have given my left arm to be able to talk to someone else after the highway patrol forced all traffic off some exit in the middle of “nowhere” onto roads with no detour markers, no cops at important turns, and roads small enough to not be on a state supplied map..??.. but if Waze or Google maps will do that for me, I’ll donate the Cobra to Goodwill.

Gary
not only will google maps show you the detours it will show you how busy they are so you can choose a better one. If forced off the road even a gps has the bipass feature . google maps might tell you that the hway will open soon so you can stop at a rest area and wait it out.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
not only will google maps show you the detours it will show you how busy they are so you can choose a better one. If forced off the road even a gps has the bipass feature . google maps might tell you that the hway will open soon so you can stop at a rest area and wait it out.
I have to agree. I use Google maps in the city, shows live accident reports and now Waze on the highways. Waze even show "smoky" locations, road gaters in lanes, stalled vehicles etc. I know these condition way before any CB signal could ever be received. Apps have made CB's totally obsolete. Thanks for pointing out other features of Maps that make it even more useful. On my list today is to setup Waze in my new phone and check out the new features. I use the apps so much, I upgraded to a larger screen phone.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #33

We have small kids onboard 99% of the time, so CB usage isn’t possible. If I want to hear incoherent monosyllabic babbling, I’ll turn on the news.

Waze is my #1 NAV App, followed closely by Apple Maps, the In Dash is in the Auxiliary NAV category. I tend to ignore its’ suggestions quite often as it will route me down a horse trail once in a while.

I use the Trucker Path app to preplan fuel stops, and actually have tuned my wife up on its use so she can help.

One nice feature of Trucker Path is you can see a satellite view of the truck stop so you know how to enter and exit in most cases.

We’re running Mobley powering our personal WiFi so data use isn’t a concern.

-Matt

P.S. Attached is a satellite view of a Flying J in Trucker Path, with the Info pane opened up showing directions, price, and other details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA536149-F5CF-46F2-9902-0D8C10499672.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	186688  
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #34

Heading South on I-45 from Dallas yesterday I came into a traffic slow down. I called out on the CB and got a response that there was a disabled semi in the right lane but that it was hooked up to the tow truck and would be moving soon. Sure enough the traffic started to move and it wasn't even worth doing a lane change. CB's are just another tool in the tool box, everyone has their favorite tools.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Matt, thanks for the tip on the Truckers Path app. I have a new tablet that Santa is leaving under the tree and I will be sure to load that app. Having the Mobely this year, I found out how out dated my previous tablet was. I would be past the off ramp before my previous tablet would load the information. With the new Apps and now full time wifi while traveling, this was the Christmas for screen size and faster processor updates, great prices this year. It's a fact a CB will never show a photo like apps can. Now if we could just get the apps on our Nav screens like Android Auto is trying to do.....mine is still flaky in the truck.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #36

If only one could tell Google the size and weight of the coach. It will often route you down little roads to save a minute or two.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #37

And the ability to specify my coach height, weight, and length is the reason that my Rand McNally dash GPS IS ALWAYS ON and plotting as it SHOULD not permit me to go down a road which cannot handle my height or length. It is also why I always have a copy of the Commercial Motor Carriers Road Atlas which also shows height problems on state and federal roads.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #38

CB's

The gizmos of the past, like CB radio, are only that. Great memories but not really alive today. But I'll never begrudge those having a good time with them!
On the newer technologies, they promise much but fail to complete the dreams.
GPS and MH height, weight, and length have a long way to go!
Since we started RVing in about 92 until today, there is yet to be a technology to better save us from clonking the noggin of our RVs on a bridge than reading the signs.
I have witnessed GPS systems that will tell me of a 10 foot clearance under a railroad trestle on a gravel road a mile from where we are....on a freeway, but the real safety is still in reading well and staying vigilant.
Since our RV adventures began, major highways and freeways have always had plenty of clearance, and the commercial trucks testify to this wherever we go.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
^^^^^^^^
The gizmos of the past, like CB radio, are only that. Great memories but not really alive today.
On the newer technologies, they promise much but fail to complete the dreams.
GPS and MH height, weight, and length have a long way to go!
Since we started RVing in about 92 until today, there is yet to be a technology to better save us from clonking the noggin of our RVs on a bridge than reading the signs.
I have witnessed GPS systems that will tell me of a 10 foot clearance under a railroad trestle on a gravel road a mile from where we are....on a freeway, but the real safety is still in reading well and staying vigilant.
Since our RV adventures began, major highways and freeways have always had plenty of clearance, and the commercial trucks testify to this wherever we go.
Nothing to see here folks ^^^^ This guy is nuts.
Wandersabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #40

Our coaches Rand McNally, our smart phones and map apps installed in them, our commercial truckers atlas, fuel apps, plus our heads on a swivel have been a plus on our numerous cross nation trips. Oh yea, plus the pre trip planning that is performed prior to kicking the tires and lighting the fire! Sometimes weeks if not months in advance. Living the dream.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote