Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I just talked to the lady who handles the property taxes here. It is a local county thing and as Mytime said it is set by the county. She told me that we had been given a value based on some list that didn't include Entegra or any of the models so another brand had been chosen. She was nice enough to ask me what I had paid and what I thought it was worth now then she picked another coach with a significantly lower value. I think my bill dropped by more than half.

Play nice and maybe you can get some relief, but if the clerk is having a bad day or resents you for having a nice coach you're probably SOL.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
Yes $1500 sales tax.

Highway Usage Tax (HUT) is the much bigger hit and it's an annual cost.

HUT = coach market value X 1.19% (actual percentage is based on your NC county tax office)

Curt
Wake County (Raleigh) has personal property tax, not HUT, 0.534 / $100 of value. If you live in a city or town, you add another .38 to .53 / $100 for that towns personal property tax. As other posters have said, be nice to the clerk and you may get a break because they research and set the value.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
I just talked to the lady who handles the property taxes here. It is a local county thing and as Mytime said it is set by the county. She told me that we had been given a value based on some list that didn't include Entegra or any of the models so another brand had been chosen. She was nice enough to ask me what I had paid and what I thought it was worth now then she picked another coach with a significantly lower value. I think my bill dropped by more than half. Play nice and maybe you can get some relief, but if the clerk is having a bad day or resents you for having a nice coach you're probably SOL.
Good advice.

Will be registering the coach this week.

Thanks.

Curt
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
OWV

Obviously the best thing is going to be to talk to the local tax office, but in the meantime, I am a little confused between property tax and the HUT. Am I correct to say one is administered by one's local jurisdiction, while the other is administered by the state. If that is the case, then wouldn't you have to pay both?

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Aspire, 44U, on order
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
Obviously the best thing is going to be to talk to the local tax office, but in the meantime, I am a little confused between property tax and the HUT. Am I correct to say one is administered by one's local jurisdiction, while the other is administered by the state. If that is the case, then wouldn't you have to pay both?

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Not sure of what HUT is, but personal property tax is acessed by the county in NC, for Real Property and PP, it is the same rate, based onthe appraised value, now with that said!, for a motor vehicle, the value is usually determined by the NCDOT, from a black book, or in cases where it is not listed, they determine a value by using the bill of sale, and the info you provide to them, and yes you have to sign an affidavit that you made true statement. On a new MH it is very significant.
Not knowing the Co. In which the OP will register I can only say use your Google Finger. Side note: you can also use the Co. In which you store your vehicle to pay tax in that Co.
You only pay sales tax one time, like said it is capped at 1500. but PP is paid annually, , you will pay that when you purchase you license plate each yr., along with having your vehicle inspected. Happy travels.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
I need to post a correction to what I wrote above.

HUT = State Sales Tax (Max for Motor homes is $1500)

See: NCDOT: Highway Use & Property Taxes

The annual property tax is vehicle market value X a value set by your local county tax office based on your address

Curt
Old 10-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
I need to post a correction to what I wrote above.

HUT = State Sales Tax (Max for Motor homes is $1500)

See: NCDOT: Highway Use & Property Taxes

The annual property tax is vehicle market value X a value set by your local county tax office based on your address

Curt
True statement,but, a boat,camper etc., can also be listed in the county where you store it, if used in that county, with approval from tax accessor office.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Update:

Just registered in Hoke County NC.

$1500 HUT

If you purchase from dealer new, you must pay the sales price - minus any trade in multiplied by the local county tax office percentage (about 1%) deepening in the county.

The annual vehicle taxes moving forward will be computed using the market value, taking into consideration depreciation.

Live and learn.

Curt
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #23

Wow - what a great deal! Being Canadian, in Ontario we pay 13% of the selling price minus trade value. That's a big hit. But hey, somebody's gotta pay for our free health care!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
Wow - what a great deal! Being Canadian, in Ontario we pay 13% of the selling price minus trade value. That's a big hit. But hey, somebody's gotta pay for our free health care!
Give us time...we're trying to catch up as quick as we can on taxes (universal health care being the latest). And a luxury like coaches would likely be a prime target here. Feel your pain though.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
OWV

Thanks for the update, Curt. Thanks, too, to the others for their input. I think the picture is getting a little clearer, but I am a little confused by this statement, Curt. If you purchase from dealer new, you must pay the sales price - minus any trade in multiplied by the local county tax office percentage (about 1%) deepening in the county. Is this in addition to the HUT and the annual PP tax?

Here is what I am understanding so far.

1. In NC, the sales tax is the HUT. We will pick-up our coach in FL and drive it to NC to register it. We won't pay FL sales tax when we take delivery, but we will pay the NC HUT (Sales Tax) when we register it and get the plates in NC.

2. On an annual basis we will pay a PP based either on the rate applicable in the county and town where we live or the rate applicable in the country and town where we garage our coach.

3. That leaves Curt's comment.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the update, Curt. Thanks, too, to the others for their input. I think the picture is getting a little clearer, but I am a little confused by this statement, Curt. If you purchase from dealer new, you must pay the sales price - minus any trade in multiplied by the local county tax office percentage (about 1%) deepening in the county. Is this in addition to the HUT and the annual PP tax?

Here is what I am understanding so far.

1. In NC, the sales tax is the HUT. We will pick-up our coach in FL and drive it to NC to register it. We won't pay FL sales tax when we take delivery, but we will pay the NC HUT (Sales Tax) when we register it and get the plates in NC.

2. On an annual basis we will pay a PP based either on the rate applicable in the county and town where we live or the rate applicable in the country and town where we garage our coach.

3. That leaves Curt's comment.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
You're correct on 1 and 2. That is exactly how it worked for us.

I would just add the comments about working with your county's clerical staff to be sure you have a fair value as the basis for the Property tax. It can save you a big number. I'm not talking about cheating - the Entegra's are so new that the tables or whatever they use are incomplete so the initial value is just a guess and may well be sticker or higher.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #27

Wow. Am I following this right? In NC you pay a one time $1500 state sales tax and then every year you pay a local property tax on the same personal property over and over again? That doesn't include license which would be even more tax. Seems like a lot of tax to pay. Here in MN one time 6.5% state sales tax then yearly license tabs diminishing based on value. MN supposed to be a high tax state. Where does NC rank?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the update, Curt. Thanks, too, to the others for their input. I think the picture is getting a little clearer, but I am a little confused by this statement, Curt. If you purchase from dealer new, you must pay the sales price - minus any trade in multiplied by the local county tax office percentage (about 1%) deepening in the county. Is this in addition to the HUT and the annual PP tax? Here is what I am understanding so far. 1. In NC, the sales tax is the HUT. We will pick-up our coach in FL and drive it to NC to register it. We won't pay FL sales tax when we take delivery, but we will pay the NC HUT (Sales Tax) when we register it and get the plates in NC. 2. On an annual basis we will pay a PP based either on the rate applicable in the county and town where we live or the rate applicable in the country and town where we garage our coach. 3. That leaves Curt's comment. Regards, OWV, Our Wandering View Entegra Aspire, 44U, on order
You have it correct.

Curt