Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #43

I pull a trailer with her car on it & mounted on the front is a spare tire. It is a 295/70/22.5 for the front. My plan is if I get a front tire flat make a call. If it a driver or a tag put the spare on a tag & the tag on the driver until we get to a tire shop. The spare is an Goodyear that was wore out after about 24K miles. I have room for all kind of tools but that is why I carry insurance. At Spartan Big Mike was talking about not being able to back up with most tow bars but he looked at me & said you can back up as far as you want with a trailer.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
He didn't use starting fluid and a match to seat the bead.

Which compartment does that guy get stored in ?
Mine is up front in the pass thru bay, fits Rrght in the middle. Theres also a thread on here where a fella made a winch to store his between the frame rails then bolts to crossmember i may do that someday I measured and mine will fit between rails. It will also help lower the center of gravity of rig.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re posts 36, 37 and 40 about windshield damage: There was a home security person here yesterday to check on our S&B upgrades/suggestions.

He said there is a 12 mil clear or tinted film that will keep glass from breaking to the point of repeated hits with a baseball bat. I did not pursue further.

It can be applied to either side of glass. Would this prevent damage ?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Re posts 36, 37 and 40 about windshield damage: There was a home security person here yesterday to check on our S&B upgrades/suggestions.

He said there is a 12 mil clear or tinted film that will keep glass from breaking to the point of repeated hits with a baseball bat. I did not pursue further.

It can be applied to either side of glass. Would this prevent damage ?
It's referred to as hurricane film here in FL, however it is not cheap. Might check the internet for DIY material. It holds the glass together from shattering....would it stop chips, maybe.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #47

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We made the Canada/Alaska trip last summer towing a 5th- great time. A Class A does present its own challenges. Some people are able to change one of those beast of tires, I'd think most can not or should not try. What people say about getting a spare in route is true, even for some smaller sizes for trailers. I meet a couple that had to wait three days to get spare trailer tires delivered. In a Class A, I'd carry either mounted or unmounted spare. Keep in mind while driving in much of Canada/Alaska the roads are not even close in quality to many roads in the lower 48. Also it is sometimes a very long distance between towns and plenty of areas with no cell service. Just understand the what the case could be.

Many people do this trip every year in every kind of RV you can imagine and most have a great time. Just go, but be prepared.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #48

Made the trip in 2016 and had to call road service from a very remote section of the Alaska Highway in British Columbia. Had to drive an hour to get cell reception. Coachnet was great. We lost a couple hours, but if you are in a hurry you shouldn't chose an Alaska road trip. I am old and not particularly mechanically talented, so I carry an unmounted spare, Coachnet membership, and fat debit card.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #49

Alaska portion

Unless you have a satellite phone, you will not have much communication if you go to Alaska. We had a breakdown, and luckily we were traveling with friends of ours. They still had to spend 2 hours on the phone, then it took 2 hours to get a service truck. We don’t have a class A, but we had 3 flats, and I was able to change them all.
Just be prepared, and I think you will find Alaska trip one of the best of your life. Whether you like Boondocking, or regular RV parks, should be trip of a lifetime...
FTer&nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #50

What to torque my tires

I have 245/70R19.5 tires and just had some tires put on and the shop torqued the lugs to 160 pounds. Is there that much difference on your 22,s? The reply’s talk about 400 to 600 pounds.
Does anyone know the correct torque pounds on my wheels? It’s a 32 Class A Jayco about 20,000 pounds.
viking41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #51

I've driven to Alaska twice in our diesel pusher. Did not carry a spare and had no flats. Owner's manual advises us not to attempt to change the tires yourself. Plenty of places to get help along the way. Took a rock through the rear radiator. Called CoachNet. They responded quickly and towed us to Whitehorse. Two days later back on the road again. I recommend CoachNet. Maybe a sat phone if you are that worried. Otherwise have a great trip and take your time - don't miss anything!
Placer49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spare tire in Alaska

Having traveled for almost 3 months in and on the most drivable northern roads in Alaska, would most definitely carry a spare. Changing it depends on you but the wait for Good Sam's or someone else may be substantial. Also, getting a tire at all let alone the right tire may also be a challenge let alone price. WE had the necessary jacks, jack stands, and wrenches to do the job. Fortunately, never lost a tire but did change out one in a damaged condition. Thinking if in your MH you have room for golf clubs or a spare tire, thinking I would rather have the spare. Especially in Alaska or Canada. LOl Just my opinion. Also if thinking about changing it, the suggestion to do it in your driveway in optimal conditions would be to your advantage.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #53

Been there done that

So I took my Motorhome yo Alaska. Didn’t have any tire issues, however, I’m just like you not wanting any issues if something does occur. I also tow a Jeep Wrangler. I also carried a plug kit, in both vehicles and carry a good portable air pump. In case of severe tire failure my Motorhome came with a spare but no jack. I bought a 12,000 lbd bottle jack and a DeWalt portable impact gun, the most powerful on the market. Takes lugs off all 18 tires of a semi without a recharge. I also have AAA road service. You also will find out there is no cell service. So I bought and carried a Satellite phone just for emergencies. So it was good to have it all this and not need it. I did use the jack and impact gun for other people who needed help so I know it works great. I wouldn’t take the tire to a repair shop because anyplace that can fix it may be more then 100 miles to get to, then get back......if they’re open. Take whatever you need with you, even a spare it’s worth the peace of mind.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #54

If you have a flat, like I did, it most probably will be here you can't get cell service land in less than ideal circumstances. Just keep this in mind as you develop a contingency plan.

Also when pulling over on the shoulder of the road, it may be soft, and the road may be crowned. What is merely difficult on a nice flat concrete driveway (where you may have practiced) becomes a very dangerous and almost impossible thing to do in the soft earth or mucky and wet shoulder.

In such a situation, even if you have a torque multiplier, jacks and rim with tire etc, you should carefully consider the consequences, and perhaps wait for help to arrive.

In other words, safety first.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
After a blowout and 2 more flat tires even with new tires we now carry a spare tire in our toad; this way we are not stranded as we have been up to 5 1/2 hours;all we need is to have Good Sam bring someone to change out the tire;no do not try to do yourself, to heavy;also don't know if you have duals and what happens if it's an inside tire;so far no flats after carrying spare (tire only) in car so maybe it's a good omen.
willbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #56

Hello. I had an issue with a flat tire on my rig today. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance and they sent someone by my resident to fix it. Lucky for me it was a leaking extender valve stem. The extender was removed and the tire was aired back up. Extender valve stems are no longer used on newer rigs. I also learned that Roadside will not plug or patch a tire. It's not recommended, nor will they put extender valve stems on if you have them. Happy and safe traveling.
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote