Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

Changing out a TV on 2019 44R -Televator

The main TV that came installed in the coach was a Samsung HD television in our 2019 44R - on a Televator. For a 2019 model, there should have been 4k TV's all around.

Post Christmas, I found 4K TV's on sale and the same dimensions (50"). My thought was that it might be pretty tight in changing out the TV, but how hard could it be?

First off, there is a nice wood top above the TV that comes off to allow access to the back of the TV if your arms are long and skinny enough. As there is no access to the area from the bottom, every time you drop something (as I often did), it is a pain to retrieve from the top.

After taking off the old TV and remounting the new one, it was clear that something was very wrong. It seems the mounting holes on the new TV were not in the same location as old TV, therefore, the TV did not come up all the way above the cabinet.

So, remove TV again, disassemble the mounting hardware on the Televator to make the adjustment. There were pre-drilled holes, so I move the mounting plate as high as it would go and remounted the TV. It was so close to working. When in the top position, the entire viewing surface of the TV was above the cabinet, just part of the plastic frame was below the cabinet. That didn't work as the remote had to point at the bottom of the TV to work.

Remove the TV again, drill new holes on the mounting hardware, and remount TV again.

Complications along the way included that the mounting bolts would not fit from before and it took a couple of trips to the hardware store to sort that out. Also, I needed a telescoping magnet to pick up dropped bolts. The dropped plastic bits were more difficult to remove.

I expected about 1-2 hours but this took about 6 hours all together. If I were to do it again, I could do it in an hour if the new TV had mounting bolts in the same position as the old TV, or an hour and a half if I had to re-drill.
dnhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #2

Duane

I'm mystified..... what was the reason for swapping TVs? The OEM was not 4K but the one you bought was ?

Are you aware how much real 4K is available on any format ?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #3

Your experience definitely sounds like it may have been more trouble than it is worth. Happy viewing with the new units!
Old 01-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Duane

I'm mystified..... what was the reason for swapping TVs? The OEM was not 4K but the one you bought was ?

Gary
Gary,

First, I didn't think the picture quality on the HD set was very good.
Second, there is quite a lot of 4K available for streaming on Netflix, Amazon, youtube, and Disney+. I also like to review pictures taken through the AppleTV box and in 4K, they look much better. I am fortunate to have good wifi available for streaming most of the time. The new TV was $349.00. I'm happy to make the upgrade, but it was much more trouble than I expected.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #5

The main 50in tv is 4K, so don’t understand why you would change. The main tv has been 4K since at least 2017.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
The main 50in tv is 4K, so don’t understand why you would change. The main tv has been 4K since at least 2017.
Perhaps on the Cornerstone, but the Aspire was not 4K until 2020. Or, at least mine was not. The 44K is only offered up to the Aspire level.

I was really just trying to convey what was involved in changing out a TV mounted to a televator, in case someone else was going to attempt it.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Good pointers. It sounds like the next guy could lean on your experience and do in one try buy careful measuring.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhill View Post
The main TV that came installed in the coach was a Samsung HD television in our 2019 44R - on a Televator. For a 2019 model, there should have been 4k TV's all around.

Post Christmas, I found 4K TV's on sale and the same dimensions (50"). My thought was that it might be pretty tight in changing out the TV, but how hard could it be?

First off, there is a nice wood top above the TV that comes off to allow access to the back of the TV if your arms are long and skinny enough. As there is no access to the area from the bottom, every time you drop something (as I often did), it is a pain to retrieve from the top.

After taking off the old TV and remounting the new one, it was clear that something was very wrong. It seems the mounting holes on the new TV were not in the same location as old TV, therefore, the TV did not come up all the way above the cabinet.

So, remove TV again, disassemble the mounting hardware on the Televator to make the adjustment. There were pre-drilled holes, so I move the mounting plate as high as it would go and remounted the TV. It was so close to working. When in the top position, the entire viewing surface of the TV was above the cabinet, just part of the plastic frame was below the cabinet. That didn't work as the remote had to point at the bottom of the TV to work.

Remove the TV again, drill new holes on the mounting hardware, and remount TV again.

Complications along the way included that the mounting bolts would not fit from before and it took a couple of trips to the hardware store to sort that out. Also, I needed a telescoping magnet to pick up dropped bolts. The dropped plastic bits were more difficult to remove.

I expected about 1-2 hours but this took about 6 hours all together. If I were to do it again, I could do it in an hour if the new TV had mounting bolts in the same position as the old TV, or an hour and a half if I had to re-drill.

Nice work. Glad you finally got it. I was wondering if there was an adjustment on the televator to increase the top limit on how far the televator raised the tv.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhill View Post
Perhaps on the Cornerstone, but the Aspire was not 4K until 2020. Or, at least mine was not. The 44K is only offered up to the Aspire level.

I was really just trying to convey what was involved in changing out a TV mounted to a televator, in case someone else was going to attempt it.
Nice job on the mod. Didn’t realize you had an Aspire and I agree the tv should have been a 4K.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

Gary
Most of our viewing has changed to Netflix mainly for that reason. Most of Netflix is in 4k now. We also canceled the satellite locals in the S&B and went to an OTA antenna as the picture is so much better and no more DISH and local fights with discontinued channels to us, the subscribers. CBS was off air for 6 months plus. We are finally getting full use of our 4K TV's.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I can relate to this. Our 50" 4K Televator Samsung took a dump on us. I bought a Sony to replace it - after verifying that Sony used the standard VESA mounting locations. But it didn't fit. The holes were off so I redrilled to locate the Sony at the correct height. I then had to purchase new hardware because the Samsung used smaller bolts. Eventually I got it set up, only to find that the Bose system didn't like the Sony. Every time I tried to change a channel the Bose would swap inputs over to the Blu-Ray player. Eventually I returned it and bought another Samsung. It seems Samsung is different than the other brands.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Exactly^^. I wouldn't mind finding a 50" OLED though.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #13

Thanks for the info, will help me shoyld mine fail.