Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

Changing the Hydraulic fluid filter in engine bay

any tips ? do I have to drain the reservoir first ? or can i just change the filter ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #2

Not sure if your filter is fed via rubber hoses but if it is, go to any auto parts store and buy some special hose clamps, not the kind that secure the hose to a barbed fitting but clamps that pinch off the hose. Remove the filter, fill it with fresh oil, re-install and remove the pinch clamps.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If you can find a appropriately sized stopper to put in the fill port you will not have to drain the reservoir. Spartan says a wine cork but I found that a little too small of a diameter. Don't unscrew the dipstick too much as it may come unthreaded from the center shaft and pieces of it will fall into the reservoir. Only unscrew a few turns then pull up to remove.

Place a sturdy plastic bag over the filter as you spin it off to catch any drips that spill. If you chose to prefill the new filter I would not completely fill it to make it lighter for screwing on as well as less likely to spill. As the old filter comes have something under the housing as it will drip a little. Screw on the new filter making sure the new gasket is properly seated in its groove all the way around the filter (it has a tendency to push out). Pull out the stopper from the fill port and the reservoir will fill the rest of the filter. Top the reservoir up to the proper mark on the dipstick and run the engine to check for leaks. Recheck the level and add fluid as necessary.

FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

As I understand it, there are two filters. The spin on and there is another inside the reservoir. Which one are you asking about?
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

I only have the spin on filter, anyone have the part # for the internal one ?
Then I can drain the reservoir and do them both at the same time
Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #6

Go to the sticky at the top of the forum. It is a Nelson part number.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tncyclist View Post
any tips ? do I have to drain the reservoir first ? or can i just change the filter ?
We have the same setup on our Newmar coach. I used a small transfer pump and pumped from the filler port. Once it is low enough you ccan remove the top.
I would replace the seals on the lid at the same time.
I did a full replace of the oil, since we had an older coach and did not know when it had been serviced.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2726.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	161589
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2727.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	161590
Old 05-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #8

thanks, the previous list i had printed didn't have that filter listed.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
X2 Don

This is the procedure laid out by "big Mike" at the presentations he did at the Entegra Homecomming. FYI on the stoppers, Home Depot and Lowes both sell rubber stoppers, probably a better idea vs. the wine bottle cork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
If you can find a appropriately sized stopper to put in the fill port you will not have to drain the reservoir. Spartan says a wine cork but I found that a little too small of a diameter. Don't unscrew the dipstick too much as it may come unthreaded from the center shaft and pieces of it will fall into the reservoir. Only unscrew a few turns then pull up to remove.

Place a sturdy plastic bag over the filter as you spin it off to catch any drips that spill. If you chose to prefill the new filter I would not completely fill it to make it lighter for screwing on as well as less likely to spill. As the old filter comes have something under the housing as it will drip a little. Screw on the new filter making sure the new gasket is properly seated in its groove all the way around the filter (it has a tendency to push out). Pull out the stopper from the fill port and the reservoir will fill the rest of the filter. Top the reservoir up to the proper mark on the dipstick and run the engine to check for leaks. Recheck the level and add fluid as necessary.

Tags
fluid, hydraulic, engine