Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #1

Charging the Toad

I have an RVi brake and charging system. When we got to our destination we found that the toad battery was dead. We checked the connections and found that there is no power to the 12 Volt outlet on the toad umbilical cord. Any suggestions on how to get power to the connection?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There should be a 12volt pin on your rigs 7 pin connector. I believe it is the top right pin. Check with a multimeter. Once you assure there will s voltage being supplied there wire it to the correct pin on your tow vehicle that supplies charges no power to the battery
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

There is also a fuse in the circular fuse box beside the DEF tank so even if you find the right pin, the fuse may be open or missing. I bought/installed a unit ("Toad Charge" or something similar) I will find the link and publish. EDIT: Here it is: http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

What is great about it is that it monitors the voltage and amperage from the Cummins alternator and when it senses the Cummins is not running the ToadCharge unit shuts down the whole charge system so you are not discharging the chassis batteries when the engine is not running overnight (or when boondocking). It is about $80 and controls the toad charge process. Worth every penny!!

Find the 12 volt pin and make sure there is juice to the battery and then think through whether your current toad charge regulator does all you want it to do .... seriously consider the ToadCharge system..... I have had NO problems in nearly 3 years since I installed it. It goes in your toad, under the hood, and before the battery... Nice/slick!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

I found the circular fuse box next to the DEF tank. Not meaning to sound overly stupid, and in mechanical or electrical issues I usually can sound stupid, but does the cover to the fuses twist off? It looks like it does, but it doesn’t seem to want to move for me.

Ed
Old 10-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I use an AF One, but I have a Jeep Cherokee with electric steering. If I don't have power to the Jeep, the battery will go dead, like yours.

As Chargerman said, there is a pin in the coach side that is hot 12V. I matched that pin up on the towed side and ran a wire from that plug to the positive side of the battery. Now, I have no more charging issues with the Jeep.

As for the fuse cap by the DEF tank. It will twist about 1 inch to releaseand then you pull it straight up. Might be hard to turn, but that all there is to it.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #6

I did get the fuse cap off. Now I just have to figure out which fuse it is. It appears that all the fuses locations have fuses in them. I just need to figure out which one is the 12 volt for the toad.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

This is from memory, but it is maybe a red fuse. The nomenclature is a bit cryptic, but there is only one that sounds like power ..... I think the code is written on the inside of the cap....

There should be a fuse in it from the factory but it could be "blown" (open.... the metal trace has a break/open in it).

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I found the circular fuse box next to the DEF tank. Not meaning to sound overly stupid, and in mechanical or electrical issues I usually can sound stupid, but does the cover to the fuses twist off? It looks like it does, but it doesn’t seem to want to move for me.

Ed

Yes Ed it does twist off counter clockwise and can be difficult to turn. All of the fuses and circuit breaker are layout inside the cover.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

Got it working! Thanks to all for your help.

As a side note, my Blazer has Lane Assist which I wasn’t aware needed to be turned off prior to towing. I wondered why it seemed to be not staying centered behind the coach when I got close to the side line. I figured out why, so to anyone else who has lane assist you might want to be aware of the potential issues.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Charging the Toad

I imagine that if your Blazer has lane assist then it most likely is electric power steering. My truck has electric power steering and Because of that GM says my battery must be disconnected during towing. Might want to check yours to be sure. Evidently, if you don’t disconnect the battery with electric power steering the unit can be damaged.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #11

My continuing saga with charging the Blazer now has the 30 amp fuse in the box blowing every time we plug the Blazer in. I talked to the dealer who talked to Chevy and they said to NOT disconnect the battery. Their logic was that so much of the car is computer controlled that disconnecting the battery could cause damage to the car’s other systems. For now we are just stopping every few hours and starting the car. Not the most convenient but it works until we get home and can figure out what to do.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #12

We’ve also had some battery issues with our Honda. While not the same problem you’re experiencing it did get me thinking about handling a dead battery on our trips so as a backup I bought one of these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	263015

They’re fairly inexpensive and I’ve used it once to jump start the car with no issues. I pull it out and charge it once a month and carry it all the time now just in case.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If your blowing a 30 amp fuse you have a short somewhere. Is your Blazer the new 2020 model?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Charging the Toad

Like Chargerman said you must have a short in your charge line.
If is has never worked I would lean towards it being mist wired from the beginning.
As far as disconnecting the battery, what does your owners manual say? Should find the subject under “recreational towing”. That’s what you need to go by.
Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, toad