Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Chassis Battery Charging Question

I realize that the solar panel on top of the rv will charge the chassis batteries, but when its in the pole barn and the lights are off the batteries are not being charged. Is it ok to put a small battery maintainer on the chassis batteries or do they get charge from something else. I dont want dead batteries.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have my Aspire connected to 110v when in storage via your normal House Cord (50amp cord), but with a normal extension cord and reducer inline.

I set my Magnum Energy "Shore Setting" to 5AMPs (so not to overheat my extension cord). My Inverter switches are in the ON position (overhead driver's side, breakers). Then, make sure the Charge light is lite on Magnum Panel, by pressing the Charger button to ON. The display will show that it's charging.

The Command 30 Panel should display the current voltages for your chassis batteries.

This method keeps my house and chassis batteries charged.

Others may have a better explanation, but that's how i do it.

Cheers!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I may be wrong but are just charging the house batteries or are you charging both house and chassis because Im asking about the chassis batteries. The last MH i had when plugged in didnt charge the chassis batt. I had to install a maintainer to charge the chassis Batt.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I really can't say for sure, but I would think that for your year and model, that it would have a battery maintainer that allows your inverter/charger to automatically charge both sets of batteries while on shore or generator power.

My 2013 Phaeton does.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Through your Battery Isolation Manager (which your 2013 should have) any time your chassis batteries drop below 12.6v and your house batteries are above 13.0v then your chassis batteries will charge when plugged in or are on generator via the Magnum inverter charger. You can check the status of your house and chassis batteries on the Onan EC-30 panel. Push the down arrow to cycle through the various selections.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
An Entegra charges both battery banks when plugged into shore power. Harley is correct on the settings.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Both House and Chassis batteries are charged.

Here's a pic of my Magnum and Command 30 panels while sitting in storage. You can see that it's "float charging", and where shore power is set to 5 Amps. The Command 30 at the bottom, shows my Chassis Batteries and current voltage.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnum&Command30.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	160643  
Old 05-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
One thing to add, if in storage, turn the inverter off leaving the charger on. If power is lost the inverter will kick in and drain your batteries. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Chuck,

Good point, i need to try that again. Seems like my first attempt to turn off the Inverter at the Magnum Panel, kept my charger from working properly. But it could have been something i did wrong.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
One thing to add, if in storage, turn the inverter off leaving the charger on. If power is lost the inverter will kick in and drain your batteries. Don't ask me how I know.
Yes sir! I also turn off the inverter - don't need it. Sometimes it takes my switch a minute or two to kick on so the charger will come on when putting it in storage after plugging into 110 power. Set shore power to 5 amp like stated here. My power at the storage tripped from storms, but I check on the MH every 2 weeks when stored for this reason.

I have left the frig on at times, with the inverter off, and frig empty, and if power is lost, no harm. (ice empty too - learned that one)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
Hi Chuck,

Good point, i need to try that again. Seems like my first attempt to turn off the Inverter at the Magnum Panel, kept my charger from working properly. But it could have been something i did wrong.

Thanks!
Push the button in the lower left corner until just the power and charger lights are on. In a minute they will go off too, but the panel will show the batteries are being charged.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
Both House and Chassis batteries are charged.

Here's a pic of my Magnum and Command 30 panels while sitting in storage. You can see that it's "float charging", and where shore power is set to 5 Amps. The Command 30 at the bottom, shows my Chassis Batteries and current voltage.

Hope this helps.
Rusty,

That screen on the Command 30 is of your house batteries. The screen for the engine or chassis batteries is one more cycle of the down arrow.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, chassis