RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Chassis Battery Issue

I went to my coach a coupe weeks ago after it had been unattended for about a month. All batteries were well below 12 volts, chassis and house. I couldn't get the engine or generator started (or even raise shades). Resorted to jumper cables in the chassis battery then Battery Boost to start the generator. Brought it home and plugged it in to 15A service for 7-10 days. All batteries were showing 13+ volts. Took it back to storage, when I left it chassis battery showed 12.7 volts with engine off.

I went back today. Chassis battery showed 12.4 volts, house batteries showed 12.5 volts. Tried to start the engine and it wouldn't turn over. Hit Battery Boost and it started right up. Brought it home and plugged it in (I'm going to Industrial Power tomorrow to get the TCM re flashed).

Called Spartan about the chassis battery performance. Charlie said 12.4 volts should have started the engine without issue. After IP I will take it to Holt to get the charging system checked and a load check on batteries. If they find a charging system issue and a battery issue Spartan will replace the batteries. If they don't find a charging system issue and do find a battery issue I will have to pay for new batteries, battery warranty is 1 year! My coach is about 15 months old. Charlie feels there is a loose connection somewhere that created a dead cell in a battery. Fingers crossed, I could use some good luck for a change!

TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Vance, you know I will be wishing you good luck! Let us know what you find with the battery/charging issue. It seems like you are not alone the past couple of days with charging issues.

Thanks for the one year on the battery warranty heads up. I think I will unplug mine for a couple of days and check the batteries to see if they are staying charged.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I was shocked when my chassis battery went down, especially this last time.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
I was shocked when my chassis battery went down, especially this last time.
I was talking with the Spartan Engineer that was sent down on the rear end issue last week and he was telling me that the camera left on can zap the chassis batteries overnight. That surprised me that that little camera and screen could zap two big group 31 batteries so fast.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #5

That is really interesting, guess I have been lucky. I am so forgetful that I have left the rear camera on (sometimes even intentionally) several times when boon docking and have never had the chassis batteries run down.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
That is really interesting, guess I have been lucky. I am so forgetful that I have left the rear camera on (sometimes even intentionally) several times when boon docking and have never had the chassis batteries run down.
Gene, you probably have the older LED rear view camera! Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Having 12.4 volts is fine for cranking the engine but if the 12.4 volts is only under a no load condition it doesn't matter. If the voltage drops off significantly when a load is applied (such as cranking the engine) it's no good. The voltage indicates the state of charge but not the ability of the battery to put out a given number of amps. That is determined with a carbon pile load tester.

Phantom loads can add up. I don't believe that Entegra uses a chassis battery trickle charger of any sort to keep them up when plugged into shore power. Add a Trik-L-Start would correct that. The Trik-L-Start is a battery "thief" in that it steals house battery power to charge the house batteries. A simple three wire connection - one to the house battery side of the charge solenoid, one to the chassis battery side of the solenoid and one to ground. It senses battery voltage on the house battery side. When plugged into shore power the inverter/charger will put out in excess of 12.6 volts. As long as the Trik-L-start sees 13.2 volts or more it will open the circuit to allow the charger to charge the chassis batteries. Once shore power is removed the module breaks the circuit to keep the two battery banks isolated. It's inexpensive and an easy install. Note that LSL Products also makes Amp-L-Start, which is a higher capacity unit. However, I've seen a few failures with this unit while the Trik-L-Start seems to be bulletproof.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
This is what I just bought explicitly for the chassis batteries.

It's the NOCO Genius 7200. Its a 12 step - 7.2 amp charger. I also bought the 10' extension so I could put the charger in a waterproof bay.

All the reviews I read were 5 out of 5 stars. Fair price at $76.00 at Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	77688  
Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

Check your starter and its components too.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Whether I have a charging system issue or not I do have a battery issue. Could be dead cells in a single battery. As we all said, it shows sufficient voltage to start the engine but doesn't have the amperage to get it done.

I don't know about other Entegra models but a 2014 Anthem charges the chassis battery when plugged in to shore power; house batteries get charged first, when they are topped off it starts charging the chassis battery. I saw that in application last time I had the coach home.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
This is what I just bought explicitly for the chassis batteries.

It's the NOCO Genius 7200. Its a 12 step - 7.2 amp charger. I also bought the 10' extension so I could put the charger in a waterproof bay.

All the reviews I read were 5 out of 5 stars. Fair price at $76.00 at Amazon.
Our last coach came with a BatteryMinder, which is a 120 volt pulse mode battery charger. It was a good charger but the 12 volt leads were hard wired to the batteries, which is good. But whenever the coach was parked without power the charge would allow battery current to backfeed and drain the batteries. When it failed I replaced it with a Trik-L-Start.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Our last coach came with a BatteryMinder, which is a 120 volt pulse mode battery charger. It was a good charger but the 12 volt leads were hard wired to the batteries, which is good. But whenever the coach was parked without power the charge would allow battery current to backfeed and drain the batteries. When it failed I replaced it with a Trik-L-Start.
How does it do that?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

How does what do what?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
How does what do what?
Your comment that whenever the coach was parked without power, the charger would allow battery current to backfeed and drain the batteries.

How does the charger back feed and drain the batteries?

Tags
battery, chassis