Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Chassis grease on new coach

We're picking up our new 2017 the week after Thanksgiving. Been reading threads regarding chassis grease schedules. Read a number of posts indicating these chassis have/are being delivered with either minimal or no grease installed. Is it reasonable to assume the end point retail vendor should be pressed to check/install this grease? This will be our first, and we are going on the road immediately. I'm not educated enough yet to know if I can do this without some method of elevating the coach, and I certainly don't want it going down the road dry.
2BMobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
My coached arrived with almost no grease at the lube points. When I brought the coach home, I crawled underneath to check everything out on the bottom side, wiring, undercoating, filter locations, etc. While under there I took a grease gun to check the lube points out as well......that's when I discovered they were almost dry. I took over a full tube of grease to properly lube mine. I don't know if things have changed at Spartan, but it's worth having checked out. JMO.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Selling dealer should give it a full lube job on the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) if they are worth their salt. ALSO levels, wheel torques, lights, etc. should have been checked/tested. They usually are paid by the manufacturer to do these things...
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
My dealer took the money and ran. He did not check anything and it was one of the well known dealers. I was a gallon of oil low on delivery and it was signed off as checked. Sorry, I wouldn't trust my dealer.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #5

I feel my selling dealer did the same thing. They were quick to state 'we're not like other dealers who believe in just getting it off the lot and down the road, then it becomes the owners problem.' Well, not so, they were just like that and no longer deal ENTEGRAs; happened about a year after we purchased our 2014 Anthem from them. Thank goodness for Entegras 2 year warranty; but then again there are/can be issues. Still living the dream though, but some times if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone 70NAM
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

If it were my coach, I'd lube it! My experience is the same as others, dealer basically took the money and said good bye!

Five months and 4900 miles later went to spartan for the class and some warranty work and both king pins were frozen. Spartan took both apart and fixed the issue. Two days of work for the mechanic. It actually cleared my steering issue. Spartan also told me that the manufacturer of the front end only puts enough grease in the fittings to last 5K miles. My response, why doesn't spartan grease during their mfg process? Deer in the head light look from that question.

Anyways...I'd grease every zerk prior to departure.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Appreciate the responses. Guess the old adage is true, if you want something done right... So my next questions are, how many and where are the lube points, and can I reach them without elevating my coach. I have no interest in getting beneath it while aired up, nor will I have any ability to put it on stands while on the road.
2BMobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire2BMobl View Post
Appreciate the responses. Guess the old adage is true, if you want something done right... So my next questions are, how many and where are the lube points, and can I reach them without elevating my coach. I have no interest in getting beneath it while aired up, nor will I have any ability to put it on stands while on the road.
Mark, my coach took an AMAZING amount of grease. I actually had it done twice. My inner and outer tie rod ends and more importantly the king pins were very dry. My coach took about 4 tubes of grease, and it was new with 1000 miles upon delivery. The good thing is Petro, Loves, TA and so on in regards to truck stops can do this for you for about 40$-60$. I suggest to get it done ASAP. Watch them while they do it and MAKE sure they do U-Joint and tie rod ends (inner and outer) and king pins
Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire2BMobl View Post
Check Speedco's web site for a location along your route. They are familiar with grease points on large rigs and motor homes. $35. and you are back on the road. Have your hub wrench handy and have them check the hub oil and seals, it's include in the price. I had two hub seals bad at delivery. Run your hand around the seal to see if they are dry.

Some Speedco's let you go in the pit, good time to check everything out underneath at the same time.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

Mark,

I took delivery last February and struggled with the steering for a 1,000 miles to get home. The king pins were dry and virtually every fitting took 10 or more strokes of the grease gun. Definitely have your dealer do a chassis lube.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #11

Chuck, Nothing has changed since your Classic delivery regards greasing and few if any dealers consider this part of the delivery process. Finger pointing by all as to WHO is responsible for a properly greased chassis !
Oh by the way just did mine yesterday for the 3rd time in 12 mths and 12K + miles. First time my king pins took 6-8 pumps top & bottom. Now 2-3 does it ! Driveshaft u-joints weren't much better. It' just a shame being driven to dealers that way and then turned over to the owners.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Had dry joints on my 2013 pointed out by a service shop when in for another warranty issue. I'm no expert but based on that previous experience when I looked on my 2017 everything seemed really dry to me, no signs of grease anywhere and boots were all shrunken and wrinkled. Pointed it out to NIRVC and they lubed it, Spartan covered the cost.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #13

My first stop shortly after delivery was to Speedco for the first quick 50hr generator oil change, and a chassis lube.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis