Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

Check Engine light - 1081 Code - More

DebbieMH (Lynn) published a thread a few weeks ago about getting an engine code SPN 1081 - FMI-19, and it being a "false code" produced by a communication problem between Cummins electronic monitoring system and Spartan's on-board monitoring system. This is apparently a well known problem that is waiting for a technology fix by Cummins and a company named Amatech (I think) and will be resolved when these two suppliers figure out the problem. Some coaches have the problem, some do not, I am told.

I am passing this along since I am now having this code. It illuminates the dash yellow check engine light and is supposed to sound an alarm (my alarm is also missing in action). This code, as Lynn told us, is meaningless but I was concerned about this "meaningless code" masking a real important code while driving down the highway.

The fix prescribed by Spartan is short-term and is to start the diesel, run for 5 minutes, shut down for 30 seconds, then restart for 5 minutes, and again shut down for 30 seconds, and repeat this start and stop process for a total of 4 or 5 times (not too annoying !!!!) . I did mine 7 times (taking roughly an hour) and the code never cleared. Lynn has learned to ignore her code and idiot light and I guess that is what I will do also, but both she and I want others to understand what happens if this problem happens to you, it won't be a complete mystery.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, hopefully Spartan and Cummins will come up with a solution soon. They were hoping by Feb - guess that hasn't been the case.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I also had just the 1081 code shortly after delivery. Spartan had the dash cluster replaced by Palm Truck Center. So far it has ended the problem,.... keeping fingers crossed.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

The restart process only works if the code is inactive when you do it. This is true of nearly all codes after several starts with no fault the light goes out and the code is stored in inactive memory. When I was doing this I would start and stop several times in under 10 min there is no need to run the coach for more than 30 seconds if the code is going to clear it will go away. If it will not go away there may be a second code in the system and the screen only shows the one code which must be cleared before it will show a second code. I would suggest you have it scanned.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431566406.638490.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	94208 I had the same code I was able to clear by multiple starts and like Chuck they replaced my LMC a few weeks ago. Hopefully that will be the end. Not sure why Spartan is not stepping up and replacing yours? But I also have other issues with them they have been kicking down the road for a year. Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

I used to get the same 1081 code and another code popped up SPN 5571 having to do with the fuel rail pressure. So, one day, coincidentally, I saw a mobile Cummins service truck which pulled up to service another rig. I went over and asked him if he could look at the fault codes I was having.
He connected his computer and saw the SPN 5571 code and said is was a false reading...he also noticed I was at Rev 19 for my engine, he said the latest was rev 21, so he updated the firmware and I have not seen the 1081 or any other codes yet....it's been about 6 months.
Also, since there was an active code, there was no charge for the firmware upgrade.

I would go directly to Cummins (genny needs service anyway) and have them check the codes and ask for the latest firmware.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

I literally got this 1081 code within one hour of leaving a Freightliner repair facility where they worked on another Spartan code (Cummins 4518) dealing with the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) Catalytic Sensor system in the DEF system (I have another thread on here in the last two or three days that deals with that code and symptoms). They cleared that code and there was nothing else in the system after it was replaced and all looked good, drove 30 minutes home, and shut-er down. About 15 minutes later, fired it back up to move it into my driveway and the 1081 code came on. Never saw it before (but only have 1200 miles on the new coach).

The fix suggested by Spartan was to simply ignore it (if the on off alternations did not fix it) and keep driving....

Gary
Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I literally got this 1081 code within one hour of leaving a Freightliner repair facility where they worked on another Spartan code (Cummins 4518) dealing with the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) Catalytic Sensor system in the DEF system (I have another thread on here in the last two or three days that deals with that code and symptoms). They cleared that code and there was nothing else in the system after it was replaced and all looked good, drove 30 minutes home, and shut-er down. About 15 minutes later, fired it back up to move it into my driveway and the 1081 code came on. Never saw it before (but only have 1200 miles on the new coach).

The fix suggested by Spartan was to simply ignore it (if the on off alternations did not fix it) and keep driving....

Gary

??? Gary, I'm constantly amazed at the responses I and others have been told on problems. I know I could write a book.😖😖 Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:32 AM   #9

That code will go away after driving ETC, meaning starts and stops However if you don't want that code again, Turn the ignition key to the right leave it there til all lights go out on the dash the yellow engine will go out after about 30 seconds. you may have tried to start it to quick and it was not done with its diagnostics. So after that check engine light goes out when you start up use that turn on ignition wait for approx. 30 seconds til all dash lights go out including the orange engine light them run the starter
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

Johnny:

I was told that during the PDI, and believe that I have always done that. At this point, it just never went off.

Gary
Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, if yours is like mine, it will go out - probably when you start up to go to Kerrville, it will be gone, if not, prob the next day. Mine comes and goes - more gone now than when I first got the coach in January.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #12

Yea its like 5 real start and stops it goes out let us know. unless its red drive away.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light