Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #15

Spartan Chassis
To all of the great advice I’ll add - Use a Checklist, especially before leaving a CC. It can be something you get from someone else or one of your own creation. I use the RV Checklist available here:

Home

It’s free and completely customizable but only for Apple devices.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #16

Don't trust any GPS. Always double check the route by using a paper map. It's very easy to misspell a town by one letter with a GPS and end up in the wrong area. The trucker maps are best to carry.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #17

Congratulations! You will enjoy how this coach rides and drives.

I literally just finished coming from Northern Cal to Florida, mostly along I-10. It's not perfect but better than many and very straightforward.

Lots of good suggestions here. Use RV ParkReviews, Trucker Path is one that I will have to check out, I agree don't save a few cents and get yourself in a bad situation. I use the book "Next Exit" highly recommend it. Lists all exits on the all the major interstates; shows gas stations, restaurants etc at each stop. Also shows which exits have rest stops and what is available.

Definitely agree to get where you are going before dark until you are much more comfortable driving 65' worth of vehicle (if you have a toad).

Always do the last walk around before taking off.

And most important....enjoy!
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #18

I don't have any travel route advice, but here's my 2 cents...

Plan to spend some time in Atlanta learning about your new coach and living in it. Try and operate every system you can, that's how you learn. Run it plugged in and run it on the generator, city water and tank water, etc.

While you're there, if you plan to take your jeep with you (you should), get it set up with a braking system ( I like Air Force One, but there others), a proper tow bar and hitch, and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I know I just spent $3000 of your hard earned money, but SAFETY is worth the investment.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
If ya stop at Fabens which is exit 48 on I10 there is 2 good things...
The Shell truck stop is cheap and easy to get in and out...
Now cross the Freeway and go 5 miles north to Cattlemans Steak House. The best steaks in Texas and Free Dry Camping.
There is also a Verizon cell tower 100 yards up the hill and service 5 bars
Just go slow and you can make the hill and the turns, I do with my 45 footer.
Hacienda in Las Cruces is good and great Mexican food down the street in old town Mesilla.
Lazy Days in Tucson is nice.
Hope this helps, I tow and can’t back up
LasVegasRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVsquared View Post
We will then be headed west to Scottsdale AZ. We plan to spend the better part of a week to get over there staying as far south as possible.
My questions are: 1.) Any suggested routes? 2.) Can anyone make any recommendations for RV parks along the way? 3.) Suggestions relating to web sites or aps for finding/getting info on RV parks would be appreciated.
Thank you all for your time and insights. We look forward to meeting you at some point.
Doug & Renee and our 2 fury friends Latte & Winston
This time of year, I would take I-75 to I-10 and watch the weather. We travel with the app "Raindar" running or checking constantly. Because of a few break downs caused by driving in heavy rains, if I see red storm clouds ahead of me, we are parking to wait it out. I have had my few and have seen many post "while driving in heavy rain this stopped working." Easier to park and read the forum.

I like the free app "RV Parky", gives me all the RV Park info with links to the parks website info along the way, as well as Cabale's, and other overnight "Freebies". I am not a Walmarter unless there is nothing else. RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for accurate ratings, they have a new app, and the website has been around for years.

Enjoy the new coach and the ride, hope to see you on the road. After reading the owners manuals, feel free to ask any question that needs further explanation.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasRon View Post
If ya stop at Fabens which is exit 48 on I10 there is 2 good things...
The Shell truck stop is cheap and easy to get in and out...
Now cross the Freeway and go 5 miles north to Cattlemans Steak House. The best steaks in Texas and Free Dry Camping.
There is also a Verizon cell tower 100 yards up the hill and service 5 bars
Just go slow and you can make the hill and the turns, I do with my 45 footer.
Hacienda in Las Cruces is good and great Mexican food down the street in old town Mesilla.
Lazy Days in Tucson is nice.
Hope this helps, I tow and can’t back up
Ron, I need you as a trip planner.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:00 AM   #22

Once again, thank you all for these suggestions and recommendations. I will go back through these threads this week and log all the different information. As for driving, I started my career driving truck; straight and tractor-trailer. When we went for a test drive a few months back, I was wondering if the skills I hadn’t used in 20+ years would come back to me. My only problem was the urge to grab for a gear lever!....what a dream these are to drive!
Thanks again to all....have a great week.
RVsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Once again, thank you all for these suggestions and recommendations. I will go back through these threads this week and log all the different information. As for driving, I started my career driving truck; straight and tractor-trailer. When we went for a test drive a few months back, I was wondering if the skills I hadn’t used in 20+ years would come back to me. My only problem was the urge to grab for a gear lever!....what a dream these are to drive!
Thanks again to all....have a great week.
I had the same experience as you, drove 18 wheelers as a collage summer job. Got in my first DP and as soon as I hit the break release, came back for the road range knob. You never forget, it really helps with remembering the wide turns.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
We'll, it's been a bit of a wait, but our 2018 Anthem is scheduled to be delivered at the end of the month to NIRVC Atlanta. Like many of you, I've traveled extensively throughout the US for work but have seen nothing but airports, hotel rooms, and offices. I will be retiring next year and my wife and I can't wait to start our adventures in the coach. We are brand new to RVing so we have much to learn. I've been following this forum quite a bit for the last year now and have picked up a fair amount of knowledge, however; I suspect our first few trips will likely be good amusement for the seasoned folks .
We will be driving our Jeep Wrangler down to ATL, hopefully the 1st week of February and staying at NIRVC for a few nights to gather as much education as possible. We will then be headed west to Scottsdale AZ. We plan to spend the better part of a week to get over there staying as far south as possible.
My questions are: 1.) Any suggested routes? 2.) Can anyone make any recommendations for RV parks along the way? 3.) Suggestions relating to web sites or aps for finding/getting info on RV parks would be appreciated.
Thank you all for your time and insights. We look forward to meeting you at some point.
Doug & Renee and our 2 fury friends Latte & Winston
Hi Doug & Renee,

We have been traveling I-10 for the last 8 years back and forth between central Florida and Prescott, AZ. Three of those years we went back and forth twice, so that makes 11 round trips (or 22 x 2,200mi) overall. My preferences are:
a) always stop at a campground - a 45' motorhome is more comfortable on level ground and with shore power/water/sewer
b) traveling with your wife and fury friends requires many more stops than you'd make if you're driving alone. So, making 300 miles per day is usually my max, but I'm willing to settle for 250 if needed.
c) My route from ATL would be I-20 to I-55 to I-12 to I-10 all the way to Phoenix (avoid New Orleans unless you just want "confusing" the GPS and yourself).
d) Get the MyPilot and MyLoves apps for your phone so you know where your fuel stops will be.
e) Get a Pilot/Flying J credit card from www.rvpluscard.com (you have to be a Good Sam member) which will get you discounted fuel prices - payment is a montly draft from your bank account. They just notify you that you've "paid" a few days before they do the draft. E-Z
f) Going cross country I like to stop for a few days either in San Antonio (Traveler's World) or Kerrville (Buckhorn Lake RV Resort) and relax, go out to dinner at nice restaurants and be a tourist rather than just a highway spectator.
g) From Kerrville or San Antonio, after being well rested, I go to Ft. Stockton TX (Hilltop RV or Fort Stockton RV Park). Expect wind at night - it can get very windy and you'll need to bring slides in and lower your satellite dish.
h) Next stop is Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces. Dinner is almost always at La Posta Mexican Restaurant in Old Town Mesilla about 2 miles away.
i) I usually stop in Tucson because my home is in Prescott - over 200 miles away. Since you're heading for Phoenix you probably won't want to stop. If you're tired though, Lazydays KOA is a good location. See the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum while you're there.
j) finding RV Parks is pretty easy along the major freeways. I've seen the apps recommended by other forum members which give you plenty of options. I usually just use Google and search "RV Campgrounds in _____" where you put in the city and state. Since you want to see the website with pictures of the RV sites, you eventually have to use a computer to be able to see a decent view of the campground.

By the way, you'll want to complete your profile and signature block so your Entegra "forum buddies" can relate your handle, name, and rig.

Have fun on the journey. Hope to see you on the road.
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote