RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #71

I had National General through Good Sam. Rate went up to almost 1300. Switched to FMCA, Safeco, and premium went down to 750. With better coverage.
It does seem like you have to re-shop every two years or so. They all will raise their rates after they have you as a customer.

ncbeachbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 AM   #72

Curious about our options

Insurance companies traditionally made their income, not from premiums, but from INVESTING those premiums...so the low interest rate environment has forced insurance companies to collect high enough premiums to cover claims.
Under and uninsured motorists certainly muck up the system, as do hail and wind damage claims, windshield rock chips, etc.
Rates are based on zip code, the vehicle, your credit rating, your driving record, your age, etc. We are 800+ credit rating, both under 70, have spotless driving records, haven't had more than a single windshield claim in twenty-plus years on our RV's, but have seen our rates inch up 5-10% year after year with Progressive. Liberty insures our home, umbrella, and cars, but can't come anywhere near them on the rv's.
Our problem is that one of our RVs is a Factory Bus Conversion, the other being a 2011 26' Winnebago, and I'm not sure anyone else will insure the bus. The couple of times I tried to shop prices, it stalled out at trying to explain exactly what a Prevost is. Does anyone else know if there are other more reasonably priced insurers that do bus conversions?
What always kills me is that we have numerous vehicles, most of which are seldom driven, and with only two drivers on the policy and in the home, why they feel the need to charge us as if we were driving all of them at once? The Prevost may only leave the garage once or twice a year (lazy bugger)! How about a "per mile" fee adjustment? Just sayin'.

christyhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #73

Chuck

The reality is that I have done very little to resolve this at this point. Spent an unanticipated 6 days in the hospital after coming down with a major problem and possible sepsis infection on a business trip up North, and then the arrival of family for a one week visit, so I have been entertaining and feeding or getting IV drips all the time since I started this thread. Beginning Monday, I will be working on it actively.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #74

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hear that Gary. The insurance issue is enough to make anyone sick, you having to add more with health on compounds it. Sure hope you are doing better.
Your information of the OP will benefit those of us in high risk areas and what is current. I know the insurance market has changed in the last year.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #75

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
When we purchased our Entegra two years ago we turned to USAA who had our auto policy. USAA doesnít insure RVs so they pushed us to Progressive to insure the coach. The rate seemed high but we didnít bother to shop as historically USAA had been good to us and supposedly we were getting a USAA preferred rate at Progressive. This year that already high rate increased by another $500...no tickets, no accidents....EVER!

So.....after reading through this thread I decided it was time to shop for a better rate. I turned to Ron at Overlund to do the legwork and he came back with a quote this afternoon that saved me nearly 50% from my existing policy! Thanks Ron...super job!
I too, after being a member of USAA coming up on 55 years with everything I had insured with them, trusted their advice to go with Progressive. What a mistake. I complained to USAA but they are still doing it--must get a referral fee or rebate.

Had Progressive for one year and they suggested a "automatic renewal" with an almost 100% boost. Now I shop. I am pleased with Safeco through FMCA.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #76

Safeco

Safeco is part of the Liberty insurance group....i love Liberty Insurance, but way higher for our coaches.
christyhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
When we purchased our Entegra two years ago we turned to USAA who had our auto policy. USAA doesnít insure RVs so they pushed us to Progressive to insure the coach. The rate seemed high but we didnít bother to shop as historically USAA had been good to us and supposedly we were getting a USAA preferred rate at Progressive. This year that already high rate increased by another $500...no tickets, no accidents....EVER!

So.....after reading through this thread I decided it was time to shop for a better rate. I turned to Ron at Overlund to do the legwork and he came back with a quote this afternoon that saved me nearly 50% from my existing policy! Thanks Ron...super job!
Can you share with us the info on RON at OVERLUND. Is he/it a local agent/agency or???
JWJ4769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #78

USAA

USAA is NOT the company there once were. We'be been with them for about 35 years and like a previous poster, I was referred to Progressive, whose quote was high, then went to Overland Insurance (Ron or Mehgan), who got very favorable quote and we signed up. In closing the conversation w/ Progressive, the lady asked "is there anything else I can help you with?" Yes, I replied, give me a auto quote. Long story short - I save $800 annually with Progressive over USAA. USAA had been overcharging me for years! I trusted and never check, until friends told me I really needed to check. And we have a teen driver.
sleeper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ4769 View Post
Can you share with us the info on RON at OVERLUND. Is he/it a local agent/agency or???
I typo’d it in my earlier post...it is “Overland Insurance Services” at www.rvins.com.

Ronald L. Jarvie
Certified Insurance Counselor
Overland Insurance Services
480-994-9584 or 800-677-4027
www.rvins.com
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #80

Entegra Owners Club
I have interacted with Ron of Overland in the past and found him professional in every way. He doesn’t sell for all the companies that are out there. Just remember, he takes the info you provide, based upon a series of questions any agent will ask. But every person is slightly different in the many variables that go into a rate. Yes, I think we’re all getting screwed on rates, but the banks have over a barrel. You have to insure if you have a loan, and the insurance companies don’t seem to feel the pressure of any competition. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I first bought my coach four years ago, I saved a lot of money by bundling my home owners, auto and RV insurance with Nationwide. I had my homeowners with them for several years, but had auto insurance through Progressive at the time. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was a substantial savings all the way around. They actually sent me refund checks for homeowners over payment! I've since had one claim with them on the coach and the rates have not jumped dramatically. I have seen a nominal rate increase each year but nothing out of line. I'm quite happy with Nationwide and their service.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #82

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I'm quite happy with Nationwide and their service.
jt
That is where zip codes really come into play. Nationwide pulled completely out of many of the zip codes in FL, one being mine never to return. As did State Farm on all real property but wanted to keep the gravy auto business. Both of my agents, State Farm put out of business.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 04-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #83

Oh, here is an issue that I ran into in the process that is relevant to many coaches.

A big issue is where the coach is "garaged". Many coaches are garaged in their home state, but some coaches are "garaged" in some other state, such as Montana or South Dakota. Very few companies permit insuring a coach which is garaged in another state, although there are a few. Now, given that a lot of high end coaches are garaged in some other state, and the fact that many companies will not write insurance in that situation, then the rate is determined by the garaging state and that can be a big part of the increase. States such as South Dakota and Montana may have few people and fairly small loss potential, but more than what might be expected in high end coaches, and this can substantially modify rates. A state that garages more than its fair share of Newells, Prevost conversions, Marathons, and similar coaches can have a very heavy loss potential and a big impact on rates.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #84

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I have the same situation at home. My storage location is 10 miles inland from my billing zip code. My insurance is 10 or 15% less for enclosed, protected storage at an inland zip code rather that my coastal zip code.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU

Tags
insurance