RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #1

Coach Insurance - Here we go again !!!!

Well, wonder what the heck is going on again? I just got my insurance notice for 19-20 and the increase in premium is in the order of just a hair less than 50% increase Here are the standard disclaimers.... no tickets and no at fault problems. While in South Dakota last summer, I did run into a big hail storm while we were parked in Custer State Park. At least with cars, I thought that the only issue which raised annual premium was an "at fault" increase, not an "Act of God"....

If this is just a standard year 1 to year 2 increase, THIS IS NUTS!

So, I will be doing a complete canvas of anyone who insures motorcoaches and see if I can stay close to the figure that I am paying this year which itself was $700 - $1000 more than I ever paid for my 15 Anthem.

What the heck............? Other recent insurers have any experience?

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

Hahaha...GOOD LUCK! I complained about this last year and all I got was, yup must be YOU!

Last year my insurance on all vehicles jumped a total of 60%. Looked everywhere and rates fell in line. Our insurance agent, Ron of Overland Insurance, did nothing for us. Told us to change/increase deductibles for the year because insurance industry was in the middle of adjustments/corrections. Well we let it go and guess what, same thing this year. Weíll be walking soon from Overland due to the fact that heís doing nothing for us.

Contacted several other insurance companies and we are just about in line. Although MC dropped 200$ís from another agent. FMCA quoted us some very good rates, but the MH will need to go to ACV instead of total replacement.

So guess what, we all are paying our share for claims of others, home, auto, MHs, vacation property and so on from storms, accidents and so on. And yes, guess what Gary, your claim for hail damage, as well as others, are part of these increases.

Now you can blow this off, but several other agents told us the same thing. Our MH policy is carrying a total loss clause which is costing us a lot. Will keep it for the remaining year and a half, but when gone our policy will change and drop....

Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I dropped full replacement years ago and cut my premium nearly in half. The odds of a total loss are so low that I am willing to roll the dice. I also select high deductibles. There is no point in choosing and paying for a $500 deductible. If you have a $1000 loss and get paid $500 for it, they will recoup the money from you through rate increases anyway.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, you had a massive claim....Good luck. My auto insurance last week went up $1,000. because of hurricane Irma and I didn't have a claim. Bundled it with my MH insurance and dropped it $1,000. You had a claim as if you would have stayed home in a hurricane. Claims won't go away when shopping for insurance. You are now proven to use the MH in high risk zones. I know it sucks! I live in one and know first hand.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I forgot to add that Hurricanes are also an Act of God. Our insurance premiums on everything goes nuts after one. Homes, MHs, cars, income property..if it has insurance on it, the rates go up.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 04-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #6

The problem is that itís not so much that Gary has put in a claim. Itís the fact that so many others are putting in claims, homes, autos, MH, boats, and the list goes on and now everyone is paying for it with rate increases. Now that the insurance companies are paying out many claims - our rates are rising, especially for those with BIG dollar coaches. So insurance companies have spread out their losses to everyone. Thatís why rates are rising - this has come from talking to a few agents.

Iíve talked with many insurance agents and was told that there are insurance companies that have stopped writing policies for MHs with values over 500K, some at values over 300K. Itís getting crazy and there appears to be no sign of it stopping.

Just sayín.....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
WRT to claims and specifially hail damage.

We had a serious storm at the S&B a few years ago and our roof was damaged. Claim was for over 20,000 and we were still paying for it years later through higher rates. When we moved the claim "followed" us.

They are not in the business of insuring with their own money...
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
The problem is that itís not so much that Gary has put in a claim. Itís the fact that so many others are putting in claims, homes, autos, MH, boats, and the list goes on and now everyone is paying for it with rate increases. Now that the insurance companies are paying out many claims - our rates are rising,
Exactly - the risk in the risk pool is higher, therefore the insurance companies raise premiums to cover that increased risk. That and shop rates increasing, costs of claims increasing....
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, let us know who you find, if anyone. Like Paul, I talked to so may companies that would not insure over $500,000 and very few that would do full replacement. Good Sam's was one of them. At the time Progressive was the most competitive.

Last week my Independent agent for over 20 years lost my auto insurance business. My policy almost doubled, called them said this isn't a happening. "We'll shop it for you." Came back with a quote from Travelers at $300. higher than Progressive FMCA. When I called to cancel my increased policy, she said "we could have done that for you, we're progressive agents". Why didn't you? "We didn't know about the MH". It should be in my file, you quoted that as well added it to my Umbrella Liability policy. Lesson learned, not all agents stay the same as well. Mine got lazy and lost.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 04-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

My insurance is about 1% of value. Last year when I looked both FMCA and Good Sam's both would not even quote since they said they would not insure such high value coaches. Of course living in Harris County is not helping.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Gary:
Try Overland Insurance Group. I haven't dealt with them (I will when my present policy is up), but they are AIM sponsors, and know the Camper segment of the market.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
Gary:
Try Overland Insurance Group. I haven't dealt with them (I will when my present policy is up), but they are AIM sponsors, and know the Camper segment of the market.
I had Overland for a few years and the rates kept climbing. I found cheaper rates elsewhere.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #13

As of Monday, I will be trying everyone..... literally, everyone that sells insurance. I dont know what I will find, but the search will be on.... Time will tell... if this is wide spread across the industry, this will be felt by a bunch of people.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #14

Hopefully no one believes that their rates wonít increase when they have filed a claim. Insurance companies base their risk factors on who files and to what amount is paid out in claims. They have to recoup losses and those losses are passed on to us via higher premiums. And information about insured claims are passed on between insurance companies. We all pay for protection but it doesnít come cheap when mega claims are paid out. But for sure itís better to have insurance than not.

EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance