Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Coach Issues

Wondering if anybody has issues with there Coach. We love our coach, but it has it's issues. I'm sure everbody has something that they are not happy with.
Our 2013 Anthem doesn't seem to be the same level of quality as our 2012 did. We do like the changes that they had from 2012 to 2013 as far as the Awnings, front overhead TV, larger middle TV the extra outlets and the house batteries moved to the driver side. But they have quit using the decorative trim on all the levels, especially the Cornerstone. That towel rack on the drawer above the dishwasher is not practical. The outlet on the side of the batroom vanity was a good idea, but if you don't hold the wall, you'll pull the wall out. There's not enough structure behind the outlet.
The tile in our coach is more unlevel than a European cobblestone road. They use a "dime" test as to whether they fix certain tiles before delivery. The inserts are even worse. Not only are they not level, but they are not straight either. Then as we have used our in floor heat we have noticed cold spots in places we feel should have heat.
We feel little to no air out of the vents on the driver side roof.
Appliances are not the fault of the Manufacturer, but the dishwasher doesn't clean the dishes. The one in our 2012 worked great. We had our new one looked at by a repairman and he said the water wasn't hot enough getting there. I measured it and found it to only be about 100 degrees, but the water out of the tap was 120. Doesn't make sense!!
Then there's the fridge. The top 3 shelves freeze and the bottom shelf is above 45 degrees. That's at the factory recmmended settings. Bad thing is, this problem was carried over from the 2012's. The Whirlpool Gold side by side doesn't circulate air very well. Even if the fridge is empty.
Then let's not forget the one way valves that vent the sinks and Washer. Those will be replaced when we get in for service.
We expect some issues that get overlooked and others reveal themselves later. But there are some things that just shouldn't be compromised when spending what we do on these coaches. I don't know that any of us would accept this level of quality on our stick and bricks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We picked up our Anthem on 28 Dec. There are certain aspect of QC things that I've found surprising. On the other hand, we haven't seen the issues some have with other more notable brands. Trim work seems reasonable, and having done some tile work much earlier in my life, I don't expect the inlaid tile to be picture perfect as it is done a tile at a time, or a grid at a time and then grouted. I do see a little sloppiness of grout on the ceramic tile..that can be cleaned up, but should have been caught by QC.

DW has used the plug in the bath and had no problem. She agrees that the dishtowel rack is in a bit of an awkward position. We picked up a battery operated fan (2"X2"X3") to circulate the air in the fridge (she'd read about residential frigs in another thread. $12 at Camping World).

AC is a little noisy, but seems to work in all three zones, although it took me a while to figure we'd tripped the breakers (one in our first campground, and the other two last night).

Hadn't experienced what you indicated on the dishwasher temp...only used it twice. We had wiped the dishes pretty clean with a paper towel before the dishwasher as we're a little paranoid about grease buildup in the grey tank...we saw clean dishes and glasses come out, but, surprisingly, a sheen of Calgonite on the plastic spatulas that had to be rinsed.

As we mentioned in a previous thread, we have some paint issues that go back to QC on the coach before it left the factory.

As this is our first, we don't have anything to base experience on, but the things I've seen suggest nothing out of the ordinary. Right...maybe not, but I'd say this, until you watch you stix and bricks built from the ground up, visiting every day, you would likely be amazed at the mistakes and flaws that are covered by the various contractors that come in and build the house onto the foundation...or come in the finished product unfixed. Even when you buy a "tract" home from one of the big nationwide builders.

My hope is we made the right choice in the quality showing when we are two to three years in and have 30,000 miles on the coach.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
QC and Entegra

I took delivery of a 2013 42'Aspire 42DEQ on 23 Nov. While not quite the same as an Anthem, it's made in the same place. I worked thru college repairing RVs and this is my third RV (HR DP, Monaco DP, now Entegra). The opinion of my wife and I so far is the coach is 90% perfect....It's just the nagging last 10% that bugs you.

So far we are happy with the tile work, almost all the trim, the exterior paint and most mechanical systems. The things we need to get fixed are;

1. This business about odors from the washer area ( I know...read the threads)

2. We have several bad 110v plugs in the basement (my tester shows open neutral). I opened one plug and Entegra unfortunately did not use the screw connections but used the push into a contact point ones which appear to come loose. How did that pass factory QC?

3. I think I have a loose clamp somewhere on the exhaust causing a high pitch "whistle".....,scheduled for repair. That DEF exhaust system looks way complicated compared to my old 2002 Cummins.

4. I would not have paid to install 4 TVs, but it came that way. IMO the flat screen in the living area is mounted poorly with a giant glob of silicone that oozed out from the pedestal and seems to rattle.

5. I cannot make that silly Chinese Xite navigation system keep the correct time. Everytime I turn on the coach it defaults to "AutoTime" and has my time zone one hour off. I adjusted daylight savings, GMT +4.....etc. My old Garmin works perfectly. I hate the Nav software.

6. Maybe I'm carrying too much silverware or pots but it seems difficult to secure the drawers or cabinets prior to departure. I always seem to have one fly open on the first hard right turn or bump.

7. Who thought of that midget dipstick on the Onan 10KW genny that you have to slide out the unit then opn the access door to find. My old Onan 12.5 HDAK had a big exterior dipstick.

8. Man that generator exhaust pipe hangs low! It looks like it is searching for road debris to hit.

9. I cannot store my RV at my home so I have to pay to store it at a rather nice storage warehouse. I'm having a heck of a time with battery drainage when I park it for 2-3-4 weeks while I work. So far I kill the coach batteries and use the midget disconnect on the chassis , but sometimes the coach won't start. I have some kind of parasite drain going on. Entegra thinks it might be a dead cell. I'm still fighting it. The manual says disconnect grounds if parking for "an extended time". I asked Entegra if 3-4 weeks was extended and they said no. I might have to install manual disconnects on the chassis batteries.

10. DW bumped the door pin on the entrance door without my knowledge. One night we are preparing to depart for dinner in Key Largo while the bugs are devouring me and I can't get the door to latch. My previous Monaco had a stout door bolt (the frame side) that did not move. The next 1 1/2 hours I proceed to dismantle the door latch while slapping bugs only to discover the door bolt slides up and down on be frame and if it gets out of sequence that door will never shut.

Two "shakedown cruises" so far and trip for warranty repair scheduled. My list is growing. So far I think it's minor stuff common to any brand. I think Entegra has been very responsive answering my calls and emails. I hope they keep the effort on Quailty vs Quantity and they will be successful. My last coach was a Monaco and when the economy went bad they let QC crush them.

I'm not griping...I'm just trying to debug my new RV. I'll not call this rig broken in until at least 25000 miles. I love the way it drives and my wife and I enjoy the creature comforts. We decided with this rig we can no longer officially call it "camping"....it is "RV-ing".
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Some claim Entegra reads these posts. I hope so!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

Yes, they do read them and are paying attention.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
hogdriver: A high pitched noise from the engine area is almost always a turbo boot or clamp leaking.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Such beautiful coaches! I believe they've upped production significantly in the last year or so due to the brands popularity and offering that 2 year warranty. Maybe that's why a few more things may be falling through the cracks now. Still, I'd definitely consider one if I was shopping in that price point!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post

9. I cannot store my RV at my home so I have to pay to store it at a rather nice storage warehouse. I'm having a heck of a time with battery drainage when I park it for 2-3-4 weeks while I work. So far I kill the coach batteries and use the midget disconnect on the chassis , but sometimes the coach won't start. I have some kind of parasite drain going on. Entegra thinks it might be a dead cell. I'm still fighting it. The manual says disconnect grounds if parking for "an extended time". I asked Entegra if 3-4 weeks was extended and they said no. I might have to install manual disconnects on the chassis batteries..
I bet the CO2/propane detector is one of the constant draws. In storage do you have acces to 110 power? If you do then you might consider adding a Battery Minder or Trik L charge unit to keep your batteries topped off.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Like I posted before, We love our coach, but at times things tend to annoy. I have a few friends that have Tiffens, and I wouldn't want there problems. The fan idea in the fridge we'll have to try on our way to FL. We'll see about getting the tiles and floor heat fixed when we get there along with the other little things. Entegra builds a great coach, but it still lacks when comparing to our old Travel Supreme quality.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
GA Traveler

I've heard that also from another forum. That's my first item to have checked!

Thanks for the info!
2016 Ford Edge toad
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Battery draw vs damaged battery on new coach and RV shows

As stated earlier I'm chasing something that kills my chassis battery over a two week period of storage. A Forum member made a great input about the propane detector, which I now remember are required to be wired straight to the battery. Entegra thinks I might have a dead cell...maybe so, will find out.

Consider this new Entegra owners. I bought my coach at the Daytona rally. The dealer did a reasonable job prepping it. I noticed hundreds of people flipping switches at the rally. I don't know if things were left on and not discovered. I've already found an upholstery issue from crowd damage. I recently discovered the 12V bay light on way up above the generator was on. I've never used it. I can't verify yet, but I would hope it is on the coach battery bus vs the chassis battery bus and I hope things like this haven't killed my chassis batteries.

My point is. Unless you order a coach and take direct delivery there are some perils buying a coach at a big event where hundreds of happy campers flip switches. I know some shows lock up RVs the moment a deal is signed ( I bought mine the first two hours of the show), but I also hated that when I was browsing RVs and I understand the dealer's dilemma. I think the dealer and Entegra will remedy this, but it takes time to debug.

New owners think about this. How many manufacturers offer more than a 12 month warranty to discover these problems......answer not many....Entegra does!
2016 Ford Edge toad
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Such beautiful coaches! I believe they've upped production significantly in the last year or so due to the brands popularity and offering that 2 year warranty. Maybe that's why a few more things may be falling through the cracks now. Still, I'd definitely consider one if I was shopping in that price point!
In August, they were building a whopping 10 a week. I don't believe there will be any significant increases to their production until their new production expansion project opens this coming June.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
We picked up our new Aspire in July. Again, not the same as an Anthem, but they build them in the same location. We have gone through close to 40 items on our punch list. Most of them are small inconveniences that were annoying but not really what I would call QC items. One of the major problems was an LP issue that we believe was dealer related, the other involved the AquaHot system and resulted in a visit from a factory tech - who fixed the problem on site. He was incredible. Prior to his arrival, we had an AquaHot tech who drove from nearly 2 hours away on New Year's Eve and a local repairman who worked for 12 hours trying to solve the problem - both fully covered by the warranty. To get that kind of response and service on a holiday weekend certainly impressed me (and I hope you are reading this Joyce!).

We are planning a factory visit this summer that will include some tile work but it is not extensive enough that I would consider it a QC issue. Our Maytag french door fridge works great, and us po' folks don't need to worry about the dishwasher as long as I stay heathly! Some items definitely were QC - steering wheel not centered, coach out of alignment, water leaks, plugs without power - but Entegra overall has been extremely responsive in handling repairs. We seems to have as many issue with repair facilities as we do items needing repair. If you have a good facility near you that completes the work in a timely manner....I'm really jealous!

This is our first new coach so we really don't have a good basis for comparison. Two weeks ago, I would have cheerfully have given the coach back to Entegra. Tonight I'm sitting in a beautiful coach that seems to be functioning correctly (I'm almost afraid to say that!) and all seems right. But I will be interested to see what others might have to say about their experiences.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
In August, they were building a whopping 10 a week. I don't believe there will be any significant increases to their production until their new production expansion project opens this coming June.

I remember hearing when they started building these a few years ago, only ~2 or so were produced weekly. Don't know if that's true or not, but if so, a lot easier to keep an eye on quality control for sure! The popularity and quality (plus that extra year warranty!) was very attractive to buyers, hence more units being built weekly/monthly in subsequent years, etc.

Entegra had a relatively short ramp-up time for a "new" brand after Travel Supreme was sun-setted. If I'm ever lucky enough to have one some day, threads like these from real owners are just fantastic!

Here's an interesting article on construction if you all haven't see it already: RVcruzer.com - Entegra Coach Construction Overview

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote