Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #1

Coach LP fill at home

I tried to get my coach filled at a park in Ruidoso a few years ago and was told it was against a local law. Does anyone know if Texas allows a propane truck to fill an RV? I will need a fill up of The S&B soon so they could fill both. If it's not against the law it would save me a little money. They want over $3.00 here at the RV park. I will be empty (showing only 10% right now) so it will hold close to 45 gallons.
I love the warm floors but last night it only got down to 34 and the zone one and three heat pumps along with the floor heat (LP) kept us plenty warm.

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Although I don't need/use that service (removable tanks), I've seen propane trucks circulating through RV parks filling RVs in Texas, so I don't know why they couldn't do it at your home location.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally, the propane service just does not want to deal with such a small quantity. They typically pump 250 to 500 gallons at a site. Just telling the customer it is a local law is a cop-out rather than telling the truth.

Call some other suppliers and see what they say. As rusty noted, we have seen many campgrounds that have one or two scheduled days a week to refill motorhome tanks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JJ, Call the company that takes care of filling your homes propane tank and ask them, there is no reason other than "company policy against it" to why they can't top your Coach off. As Rusty stated, propane trucks go through parks and campgrounds all the time to fill folks up. The provider for your home(propane) is the people to ask.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Ken. All though we are in PA, we just called yesterday to have ours filled here at home, and they will be here Monday. Good luck
Old 12-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Agree--its probably a volume thing--not enough margin to bother with.. Have to tell you, anyone who owns a 2014 Enterga can probably spring for $3 propane--go ahead, just do it!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I will call my supplier tomorrow.

JJ
Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My propane guy told me that he can't fill portable tanks at my home because they are required by law to be filled by weight and they have to be weighed by scales that have been certified by the state. He fills them from his truck, and uses the scales at his place of business, on Sat mornings. However, this shouldn't apply to built in tanks since they can't be weighed anyway. They have to fill them by volume.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Had my tank at the S&B filled last week and the driver had no issue fill the MH too, just ran it on the same ticket. They're already there for a bulk delivery bet it won't be a problem.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
The driver who fills my home stuff always checks my coach and fills as needed.. It is a LOT cheaper than getting it done at a RV park.. Driver has no issue at all.. At least here in Colorado..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #11

My coach was showing zero LP. I drove it over to the place that does my S&B and had it filled. We have a cold snap on the way this weekend and I did not want it to be empty. My home tank is 70% full so they will not be out here anytime soon. The tank that showed zero % on the tank gauge and the coach gauge only held 33 gallons (50 gallon tank should hold 47 gallons). That means I just barely used 5 gallons per day with mid 20's for lows and hight 30's to low 40's for highs. I wish the gauge was more accurate.

JJ
Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
LP tanks usually only hold 80% of capacity when empty.
That would be 40 gal. of useable for yours.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #13

I knew it was supposed to be 80% but I read on a website it was 4.7 gallons per 20 lbs and our tank is supposed to be a 200 lb. tank.

Valley Gas and Oil Company, Kingfield, Maine

Either way I was not empty. Even at 40 gallons I still had 7 left in the tank and 7 is almost 20% of 40 gallons. The last night it was warmer and I ran the heat pumps because I thought I was out of LP. Of course if it's warm enough I like to run floor heat in zone two and heat pumps in zone one and three.

JJ
Old 12-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I don't know if any of you catch any of Toronto On. Canada news, but a few years back there was a major explosion/fire at Sunrise Propane in Toronto. After an investigation it was found to be a Truck to Truck transfer which caused the explosion. I believe it was illegal then, but i am sure it's illegal now to this. I talked to our guy filling the S&B last week and he reminded of the Sunrise fire and said no. He said some of the more shadey suppliers still do it however it is illegal.
If you are haveing this done please be careful and follow all safety precautions/requirements.
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote