Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
my manual also says to level, extend slides and re-level if needed.
is your coach unique and the framing well supported to allow this? the strength of the framing may allow your method but maybe each model/manufacturer differs.
Gary, I believe your observation is correct. What we are finding out in this discussion is that there isn't one hard, fast rule for setting up/taking down. Each coach manufacturer is different. My feeling is that we should each follow the procedure outlined by our manufacturer as they are the ones providing the warranties. As far as dealers not leveling, I've seen this many times and when asked they all like to say "oh, our lot is really level and its not necessary." Yeah, right!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd

From what CRUZER explained, you should raise the jacks, start the engine to build up pressure and then pull in the slides. All this is backwards to me, but it is something I can learn to do if Entegra says its the proper procedure.
Tom have you done your Anthem this way? On our 2012 Aspire if you don't start the engine BEFORE raising the jacks the air bags will not fill and you will have a rough riding lowrider ;-) I'm pretty sure that the Aspire, Anthem and Cornerstone are the same in this regard. At least the Aspire and the Anthem since they both have the K2 chassis.

It's not a malfunction, it's the way the valve for dumping the air from the suspension is designed.

Also, for all the other brands that have been chiming in, this is the Entegra Forum. I'm very sure your brand may have a different sequence for set up but this is what the Entegra owns need to do.

TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Tom have you done your Anthem this way? On our 2012 Aspire if you don't start the engine BEFORE raising the jacks the air bags will not fill and you will have a rough riding lowrider ;-) It's not a malfunction, it's the way the valve for dumping the air from the suspension is designed.
Terry, we don't take delivery of our Anthem until January. All my questions here are to learn about this coach so that when the time comes, I'm better informed. So, in my dreams, I probably have the engine rumbling away when the jacks retract.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #18

Just a quick so as not to mislead anyone. In a post above it states the Anthem is on a k2 chassis. That is not correct, as it is on the Mountain Master chassis.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #19

Ok guys LISTEN UP. I contacted the ENTEGRA FACTORY and they are ADAMANT about the procedure for ALL ENTEGRA COACHES! Because the slide outs are designed with very close tolerances they REALLY WANT us ALL to do the following:
NEVER OPERATE THE SLIDES WITH THE JACKS DOWN, PERIOD.
That means SLIDES OUT, THEN LEVEL BY PUTTING THE JACKS DOWN, reversing the procedure, START THE ENGINE (ENTEGRAS WILL RETRACT SLIDES WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, JUST CAN NOT PUT THEM OUT WITH ENGINE RUNNING)RETRACT THE JACKS, ALLOW THE AIR BAGS TO FILL TO LEVEL THE COACH FRONT TO BACK, THEN AND ONLY THEN RETRACT THE SLIDES.
I know it has already been said and I agree, do what the manufacture of YOUR coach recommends. This is the reason I contacted Entegra, this is the procedure that was given to me by Tadd Jenkins, national sales manager and he and the Entegra engineers were adamant that we should follow this procedure every time. This really seems to be a big deal to the Entegra folks and therefore should be the last word. Remember, they are the ones on the hook for the two year warranty if something happens. I know the procedure can and has been discussed to no end but the Entegra folks have spoken and as far as I am concerned that is the hard and fast rule for us. For more explanation see Mark's (Curzer) post above, he is exactly on target with a great explanation.
Hope this helps, do not mean to flame or be disagreeable, and sure not trying to argue with anyone, just thought it best to ask the experts and then post what I found out.

Gene

ADDED on edit: Just remember to unlock the storage bay doors BEFORE starting the engine, as they will not unlock with the engine running, PLEASE, dom't ask me how I learned this lesson..........multiple times! Also, as has been stated, make sure your bags are aired up before moving the coach, this is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT if you have the 315 front tires as you need that clearance before turning the steering wheel from straight forward.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
TIP
To expand a little on what terryO said about building tank pressure before raising your jacks, after your press is up to normal then you raise your jacks and watch the left tank reading for a press drop down to around 70#. After the jacks are up the press will go back to normal. Now you're good to go and you won't be riding the worst roller-coaster ride of your life.
Doing it this way allows you in the cockpit to verify the bags are up to the proper level (of course you can also get out and eye ball the stance). If you raise jacks w/o air pressure you're riding on the built in bag snubber and the auto systems may or may not catch up before you head down the highway.

Ask me how I know all this!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Gene for making the call to Tadd. All Entegra owner's (especially me) now know the proper setup/tear down procedure. Great discussion folks!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #22

Hey Gene....why do you want to UNLOCK the bay doors when getting ready to leave? I always want those doors LOCKED when we are tooling down the highway....ask ME how I know this!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Hey Gene....why do you want to UNLOCK the bay doors when getting ready to leave? I always want those doors LOCKED when we are tooling down the highway....ask ME how I know this!
Hope you don't mind but I'm going to pretend I'm Gene. I'm all ready to go and just to make sure I packed everything, I make one last walk around the site. Darn! I forgot to unscrew my water regulator from the spigot. OK, got it unscrewed and need to store it in the bay but guess what? All the bay doors are locked. So I yell at the wife to cut the engine but she's busy playing with the dog. I gotta go back inside, kill the engine so I can unlock the bay door. Anyone getting the picture here? After I've cleared the site, I'll lock the bay doors so all is secure for travel.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
My key chain has pull apart rings, ign & entry door on one, and compartment door key on the other, been through this drill before.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #25

The keys will NOT unlock the electric locks, they are a separate lock and you have to have the engine shut off to unlock them (unless you get a screwdriver and manually "unlock" them). That being said, Bob, Tom is spot on, the last thing I do is hit the remote to the electric bay locks just before I climb aboard to leave.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #26

Yeah, we're all on the same page here...I was merely pointing out it IS desirable to have all those loose ends done and doors locked BEFORE firing up the engine. I NEVER have to undo something I forgot... well, usually not.....
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excuse me...............Insignia's don't have electric locks.
Since we're apparently correcting people here, let me clarify, that there is an alternate suggestion that will work for SOME Entegras!
IT WAS A SUGGESTION!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #28

mccsix, I am so sorry, I did not mean that to come across like it apparently did and thanks for setting me straight, i did NOT know that Insignias did not have electric locks. Again, please forgive me, I did not mean to be a a#$. I was ASSUMING (and you know what you do when you do that) facts not in evidence.