RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #1

Cold drafty windows

I am noticing a great deal of cold air entering through the dinette and theater seat windows. It's not windy out, just 45 degrees. Anyone else observe this? I'm not sure if it is in fact air infiltration or convection through the aluminum, but it's cold.

buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 06:31 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Are the valences on the windows? Are they closed on the top? That would reduce convection.

Maybe get something light that will move with air like smoke but not smoke and put it around the window outside see if it enters.
Sometimes my windows would look closed but weren't. Maybe try to reclose them?

Of coirse you could put up insulation to block the cold too if it is not air infiltration.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Are the valences on the windows? Are they closed on the top? That would reduce convection.

Maybe get something light that will move with air like smoke but not smoke and put it around the window outside see if it enters.
Sometimes my windows would look closed but weren't. Maybe try to reclose them?

Of coirse you could put up insulation to block the cold too if it is not air infiltration.
When I first noticed this back in 2018 on a cold morning, I observed gaps in the contact points where the glass met the weather stripping, around the windows perimeter. Entegra sent me new windows to install. They too had the same gaps. To solve this I installed a secondary bulb seal around the interior perimeter where the interior glass contacts the sash, but by that time it was warm and I couldn't tell if air was still entering. Today it's cold out (45) and I can feel it again. I can only imagine how bad it might be at 20. They are closed tight.

Valances?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Valences are the pieces my DW says make the window look pretty inside. They are meant to cover the blinds and disrupt convection currents....doesnt sound like your problem. It sounds like you have air infiltration from the seals.

Do you get water leaks when it rains?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Valences are the pieces my DW says make the window look pretty inside. They are meant to cover the blinds and disrupt convection currents....doesnt sound like your problem. It sounds like you have air infiltration from the seals.

Do you get water leaks when it rains?
Never. They are water tight and given the design it would be difficult for water to penetrate, even under pressure from my pw. The valances are not the issue. I have added it to the PDI list for next week. Hopefully they will have a solution.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

The windows suck.
I think all the "hinge on the top tilt out windows" suck.

Thinking about starting to replace them with American made sliding windows from Atwood.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #7

It looks as though Atwood's window assets had been purchased by Lippert Components in March 2017.
Looks as though Dometic is now selling the Atwood product line under the Dometic name.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...skRXj82Et3M6Ld
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #8

Two of our windows leak air too (the one on the driver's side just behind the driver and the front-most of the two dinette windows). In both cases, observation shows that there is substantially less foam strip insulation around the edge. The windows that work have almost a full edging, with small openings that in turn are blocked a bit inward wit ha second small strip. The windows that leak have large gaps. In fact, while driving down the road the window gradually opens because of the force exerted by the wind. NIRVC wanted to replace the windows under warranty, but Entegra refused and only sent a new latch. I know that isn't going to work. I asked the dealer to add more seal; we'll see what it looks like when I get it back.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

We have one leak that I know of in the window behind the couch. Both bed windows leak some, or give off a lot of convection cooling. So much so, that in in sub 20 temperatures, I stuff a pair of bed pillows in both of those windows. They fit perfect, and do wonders to keep the bed warm all the way into the corners.

That said, our windows are so much tighter and better insulated than our previous coach, it isn't funny.

When we get caught by surprise or design in sub freezing temps, we keep the blinds down a lot more. We have found our Aspire is fantastically toasty in even sub zero wind chills.

Steve
Old 10-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #10

Coach is in Middlebury for 2 yr pdi. They are suggesting using shorter pivot arms which reportedly pull the window tighter. I have my doubts.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #11

This is how they fixed my window that would rattle when driving at highway speeds with a crosswind. So far, is much improved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Coach is in Middlebury for 2 yr pdi. They are suggesting using shorter pivot arms which reportedly pull the window tighter. I have my doubts.
GeezerViz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
This is how they fixed my window that would rattle when driving at highway speeds with a crosswind. So far, is much improved.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Shorter arms?

Wow.
I've replaced all of mine with the longest I can find, as well as cutting down the limiters inside the grooves, all to try to get some airflow.
My escape windows open almost a foot, the big dining table window 8", and I got almost 5" out of the partial tiltouts above my couch.

Still not enough airflow.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window