Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

coleman heat pumps

I have a 2014 Aspire equipped with Coleman heat pumps. On heat mode they are marginally effective at 50°and not effective at all below 45°. My servicing dealer says this is normal for these. This and the fact that they are so noisy outside that I recieved complaints from folks camping on either side of us has left a sour taste with me. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this and if there might be a fix.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Since you have a rig still under warranty, I'd definitely get it checked out. Most heat pumps work down to 35º and new ones shouldn't be so noisy. Talk to the manufacturer about taking it to a Coleman service shop.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are now owned by RVP and I have a service manual in front of me that shows normal operation. It states, "When the thermostat is switched to heat and electric heat is selected on the sub-base, and the outdoor temperature falls to a point at which the heat pump shuts down (usually between 25-40 degrees), the sub base will automatically also call for gas furnace operation if the indoor temperature drops to 45 degrees. Gas furnace operation will shut off at 60 degrees. The user should switch the sub-base to gas heat if this occurs." (Sub-base is thermostat 6535-3451; Thermostat 6335-3351 is more automatic in this regard)

As for noise, mine is very quiet, however, my system runs year round presently. It was much louder when I first started using it. I think the more they run the quieter they seem to be. My system has got me through over 2 years in New Orleans without me burning up in the Summer or Freezing in the Winter. Though I think it needs some service soon....hope this helps.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Thanks. We traded in a 12 year old coach equipped with Dometic heat pumps. Never had any of these issues with them. They worked down to about 25°.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I never had a heat pump work well below 40. Our Aspire was really not loud so not sure on that issue.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #6

All heat pumps are iffy around 32-40*F, doesn't depend on manufacturer. The systems all work the same.
Closer to freezing it gets, the more they need to defrost (run a "cool" cycle, but with no fan blowing air.)

Do you have lo-profile roof units?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

coleman heat pumps

Yes coleman mach ?
sweetandsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
Yes……coleman mach ?
Anyway, do you notice them being loud just when they are on defrost? Because these new units have a reputation for quieter running inside and out. However; maybe it is just like my heat pump at home. When that unit is around freezing and goes into defrost mode/cycle, it is like throwing a truck into reverse when it moving down the road. When my home unit first started doing this in cold temps, it was so loud I called for service. Now to avoid this when very cold I switch to emergency heat in the house. Just seeing if maybe the loud noise is when it is cold and maybe on defrost cycle? As Neal said, I don't think they are cost effective running units when at or below 40. I use that number as my threshold for changing operational modes.

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #9

coleman heat pumps

It is during normal operation. The sound ,maybe a better choice of word than noise, is from the fans on the top of each unit. Very loud. Inside is not so bad but you can't hear your TV with the front unit running.
sweetandsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #10

Up to late 2013 models a/c system was noisy inside mh, but fairly quiet outside. These a/c systems also had better control with the thermostat especially in heat mode.
Late 2013 and later the a/c system is fairly quiet inside with updated returns, but the fans are pretty loud outside, and there is no control over fan usage in the heat mode. Since you have a 2014 you certainly should be able to hear the tv with the front air on. Mine is really quiet inside.
Your heat pump should also work well at least to the mid 30's, probably lower. The old system had a defrost mode and would work even lower, but the newer units don't have the defrost cycle. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newer units pretty much do not work below 38 to 40 degF. As the temperature drops, the COP drops like a rock and they produce less and less heat which is the opposite of what you need.

When the low fro the night is predicted below 40 degF, I just go ahead and run the furnace and use a little propane.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I just read the 14 Anthem manual about the Coleman Heat pumps. The manuals says they are not effective below.....40 degrees. I know a lot of roof units have heat strips to provide supplement heat. Perhaps that's where folks are saying they work to temps like 25F.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Doing a little research, Coleman heat pumps says in the manual they are 'chill chasers' for when the temperature is a little below comfort. They are not a substitute for a furnace. Looking at the BTU output of a couple of different models, they definitely AREN'T suited to heat like even a small LP furnace. I guess I was going on the experience of residential heat pumps.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #14

Dave, as i said above, and regardless of what the manual says mine work fine down in the mid 30's. I'm sure they lose some of their efficiency, but still provide adequate heat to heat the mh.
Actually, heat pumps are fairly efficient down into the single digits, but have to have a defrost cycle and have a mechanism to initiate the cycle. Most mh's don't have the defrost cycle, however the previous system on 2013 and before did have a defrost cycle initiated by time only and would operate even lower than the mid 30's. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote