Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Coleman Mach 8 AC unit blowing hot air

We are currently in Bangor, Maine heading south slowly and the front AC is blowing warm. Anyone have any ideas what to check and can they be recharged with Freon?

Does anyone have any recommendations who can check it out up here
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
First, try recycling the front AC circuit breaker. Push it in, turn it off, then back on. Next would be to pull the cover off of the thermostat, pull the glass fuse and leave it out for at least 10 minutes. If that does not work it will probably be at the AC unit. Hopefully just a start capacitor. Several posts on how to check those.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
First, try recycling the front AC circuit breaker. Push it in, turn it off, then back on. Next would be to pull the cover off of the thermostat, pull the glass fuse and leave it out for at least 10 minutes. If that does not work it will probably be at the AC unit. Hopefully just a start capacitor. Several posts on how to check those.

I will search for the start capacitor post. I pulled the cover off the ac and noticed the compressor was super hot
Old 07-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Coleman Mach 8 AC unit blowing hot air

I have reset the breaker and pulled the fuse for 10 minutes. Reset the 12 salesman switch and still blowing hot air.

Got on the roof and removed the cover compressor was hot.

I will try to ck the start capacitor and hopefully that is all it is.

Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If you remove the shroud and then have the wife turn on the system you can observe whether the compressor kicks on or not. It sounds like it is trying to start but doesn’t. In this scenario the compressor will get hot and blow warm air. As some stated earlier it could be the start capacitor, run capacitor or associated PTCR switch all located together and all total cost around $35 to replace. If the caps are not disformed or contain bulges chances are they are good. You can look on you tube and it will tell you how to test them with a volt on meter. Another thing to check is the freeze sensor but if that is the case the compressor would not try to come on. The over or under pressure switches are in the closed loop system and cannot be worked on without evacuating the system. In this scenario it is recommended to replace the unit. Hope my ramblings help you solve your issue.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The easy stuff downstairs has been eliminated, now it's the upstairs fun part. Herb has already gone over the Start and Run capacitors. The are inside of a metal case, easy to get to. While the unit is cool, trace all the coolant lines and see if there is any oily substance, that would be a coolant leak. I stopped there as mine was covered with coolant, under warranty so the unit was replaced with a 400 mile detour. When trouble shooting mine I found a board test with a volt meter, that would tell what may have failed, but I don't know where on Google I found that. It might have been on Airxcel's site.
Now that everything is cool, what does the unit do looking at it with the cover off and someone turns the thermostat on downstairs? Does the compressor try to come on? Fans turning? I don't like to say this, but from what others have posted, your compressor is getting to the age where others have posted theirs came to the end of their life cycle on the newer Mach 8's I hope it is just a capacitor. If it is a capacitor they are about 1/3 the price at an A/C supply house than an RV dealer. Finding one in cool Maine could be a problem, not a lot of AC shops up there.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
What I am going through, and replacing my rear AC. Compressor is trying to lock up. Had a tech check it, and the Amps would drop about half after about 30 seconds, and since they are a sealed system, difficult to and probably more expensive to fix.

Probably worth $150 or so to have a tech test it to see if it is something that can be fixed.

Mine needs replaced. Mach 8 15,000 BTU with Heat Pump and Condense Pump (Heat Pump is 6000 BTU) - about $1030 on line with free freight. I am going to replace myself.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:51 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I found the trouble shooting guide I used that had a nice step by step in section V
https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModul...df/1976665.pdf
Old 07-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone for all the help as it is much appreciated

I got on the roof and had my wife hit the unit on. The compressor started and fan started fine.

Anyone have any more ideas
Old 07-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
Thanks everyone for all the help as it is much appreciated

I got on the roof and had my wife hit the unit on. The compressor started and fan started fine.

Anyone have any more ideas
Last block of info in section V:
Air Flow Restrictions, High Ambient Temperature, (Undersized) Too Much Heat Gain To The Vehicle, Refrigeration System, Very Little Or No RefrigerantCharge, Compressor (IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN PROPERLY TRAINED IN REFRIGERATION SEALED SYSTEM REPAIRS, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BREAK INTO THE SYSTEM.)

The first items are not issues, looks like the compressor might be giving up the ghost according to the manual and the experience Mark just had.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Had a similar problem yesterday. Kitchen unit. The compressor would come on for a minute and then shut down. Vegatouch would only show fan running. For shits and giggles I turned it off on the Vegatouch and turned on the manual override and it works perfectly. Calling Firefly today. It seems we sometimes chase hardware problems that turn out to be software issues.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Had a similar problem yesterday. Kitchen unit. The compressor would come on for a minute and then shut down. Vegatouch would only show fan running. For shits and giggles I turned it off on the Vegatouch and turned on the manual override and it works perfectly. Calling Firefly today. It seems we sometimes chase hardware problems that turn out to be software issues.
Happened to my VT as well, but Phil has the nice simple Classic. Took 3 reboots of the VT to get mine working, Phil isn't that lucky.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Hey Phil, have you tried operating the unit in heat mode? If it generates heat I think that would indicate your compressor is OK and perhaps there's an issue with the reversing valve system?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
On my unit, it would start up and cool for about 30 minutes. Then after it cycled off and then when it was time to restart the compressor would try to start and not fully start. The compressor would start getting really warm at this point. I changed the capacitors and it did not help. Mine could be a motor starting to fail, high pressure etc. Unfortunately these issues all require the unit to be changed. NIRV is taking a look at it on Monday, most likely changing the unit out under extended warranty
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, coleman